Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: General COVID vaccination thread

Re: General COVID vaccination thread

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

You're just full of good news.

There is hope. That's from Wash U St Louis. They messed up and gave me a degree, so they aren't perfect.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Get vaccinated, still die of covid. I still think this disease, along with the continuing antibiotic resistance, is the beginning of the end of mankind's golden hour.

https://abc7chicago.com/breakthrough...DNYQvMVaOXpKgM

CDC says no need to wear masks if you are fully vaccinated..

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...eople-n1267249

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Was told by my boss yesterday I could ditch the mask. Went to Trader Joes and Costco this morning and it was nice not having to mask up. It's a little thing, but it feels like we're clawing back a little bit more normalcy.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Was told by my boss yesterday I could ditch the mask. Went to Trader Joes and Costco this morning and it was nice not having to mask up. It's a little thing, but it feels like we're clawing back a little bit more normalcy.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

That thumbs up was really big on my browser. I saw the top of it, was a little afraid to keep scrolling down...
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    That thumbs up was really big on my browser. I saw the top of it, was a little afraid to keep scrolling down...
    Sorry about that. I didnt pay attention to its size when linking it.

Going mask less doesn't excite me quite that much.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41375-021-01257-7 And breakthrough death risk documented in rituxen patients

General COVID vaccination thread

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Funny. Same as bad trips he had before the vaccine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Beat me to it.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Sure, a guy spends a few years so strung out on heroin and booze that he plays his concerts lying down and it's like he can never shake it.

Bombino

Get vaccinated, still die of covid. I still think this disease, along with the continuing antibiotic resistance, is the beginning of the end of mankind's golden hour.

https://abc7chicago.com/breakthrough...DNYQvMVaOXpKgM
    No vaccine is 100% perfect. Breakthrough cases occur but are extremely rare. Furthermore, deaths in breakthrough cases are far lower than the pre-vaccination rate. To my knowledge, in Washington state, there have been less than five breakthrough deaths in the vaccinated population.

Just take a look at this chart of projected deaths versus actual deaths:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...at=interactive

The divergence of the chart lines up almost perfectly with when the bulk of the 65+ became fully vaccinated.

In usual Eric Clapton fashion, he is taking something relatively minor and making a mountain out of it because it impacted him.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41375-021-01257-7 And breakthrough death risk documented in rituxen patients
    Immunosuppressants are notorious for impacting the effectivity of vaccines. This is not something new and applies to ALL vaccines not just COVID.

Honestly, the vaccine is not fun to experience but it works remarkably well; far better than anyone had hoped. It is also not a panacea, it has its issues and in rare cases there will be people for whom it does not work or does not work well enough. Don't misconstrue those cases and think this isn't highly successful vaccine.

Pedro, I think the vaccines are the opposite of a miracle; they are a triumph of rational thought over our frailty in the face of an uncaring natural universe. But I do think they are not automatically for everyone, or automatically a panacea. Without 80% buy in from americans, they may protect individuals imperfectly while leaving us all vulnerable.

Hey Pedro....please check your inbox.

Thank you!

Peace

Richard (CW)

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    Hey Pedro....please check your inbox.

Thank you!

Peace

Richard (CW)
    Responded!

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Responded!
    Thanks so much...great info!!

Peace

Richard (CW)

Ok, broke down and got the Jansen (J&J) vaccine today. Doing some traveling including FL and some of the places I am going are healthcare facilities that require all employees to be vaccinated. Just not worth the fight to me when it is important to my business.

I am still firmly in the camp of self choice, no mandates.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    Thanks so much...great info!!

Peace

Richard (CW)
    Was this something about the vaccine and penile enlargement, if so please forward!
    Go Cats!

As for covid stories I’ve experienced since all of this started, I have a few more. We all had it back in august a year ago basically today, so I saw how it went around before you could do anything about it . My kids were asymptomatic minus a runny nose and one had a cough. It passed from one who got it with his friends, to the other kids, then to me I believe before we knew it. We had friends over I gave it to one of them. Wife never got it and slept in the same bed when I was sick. It was like a nasty flu for me. All but my boys got vaccinated and it made the wife who never got it and had no antibodies almost as sick as I was for a day and a half. She had moderna. I had J&J and a sore arm, and daughter had the Pfizer first shot. So here we are a year later and none of us got tested but pretty sure the kids were carrying the virus again last week. My son was a college counselor at church camp a few weeks ago, and guessing he got it since a lot of them did and it was delta…they shut the camp down. He came home with a runny nose, daughter then has a runny nose and the other boy got one too. We all agreed they probably had it. My wife got a fever for a day or two and felt kind of crappy, and I had a spell of blah. Guessing the vaccines did their job. Had another friend get it for the second time he is an antivaxer, one of the few cases I’ve heard of anyone getting it twice and confirming by testing. My mom went to a lunch with her best friend Monday and the friend is pretty sick in the er with it, and had the vaccine. She has a poor immune system and is about 72. My close friend is an er doc and he is in an awful mood at the time. Really pissed people won’t get the vaccine because they are on the way to not be able to handle it. Turned away 27 people the other day he said, gets worse every day and seeing a lot of 30/40 year olds getting really sick unlike last time. He has said almost everyone he is seeing that is sick is unvaccinated. Unless Pedro has told us we’re gonna grow a new arm or shrink one of your legs, sounds like it would improve your odds greatly to get vaccinated based on what I’ve experienced and heard.
    Go Cats!

Saw a non-controlled study based on breakthrough rates in I think Wisconsin or Minnesota, saying Pfizer vaccine is about 46% effective, Moderna was 76% or so.

That's not something you can take as gospel b/c it won't have controlled for levels of exposure or any other differences, but still a disturbing number.

So in other words, it’s like the flu shot and will occur every year…..
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Saw a non-controlled study based on breakthrough rates in I think Wisconsin or Minnesota, saying Pfizer vaccine is about 46% effective, Moderna was 76% or so.

That's not something you can take as gospel b/c it won't have controlled for levels of exposure or any other differences, but still a disturbing number.

FWIW, this week my daughter's Covid-ICU Team won the Team "Daisy Award" for 2020. If ever there was a no-brainer decision, that was it. That's not awarded in every hospital every year, either.

Her 2nd Daisy Award. She won the individual Daisy Award in 2019. Awfully proud of her.

She told me she'd trade every one of them not to have to go through the treatment of those patients again. In related news, a 39 year old beloved police officer died yesterday of Covid here. That's public; I don't know what hospital he was in.

Whatever your beliefs are, please stay safe and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    So in other words, it’s like the flu shot and will occur every year…..
    It is a COVID Type virus. We have not, to this point, developed any type of vaccine that permanently prevents a COVID type virus. IT is not like the measles, small pox, etc. COVID Viruses have animal hosts and can spread to non-humans and then back to humans after mutations making permanent vaccines almost impossible.

so yep, it will be like the flu.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    It is a COVID Type virus. We have not, to this point, developed any type of vaccine that permanently prevents a COVID type virus. IT is not like the measles, small pox, etc. COVID Viruses have animal hosts and can spread to non-humans and then back to humans after mutations making permanent vaccines almost impossible.

so yep, it will be like the flu.
    Why hasnt this ever occurred before, is this one just different because it is so transmissable compared to others or more deadly? what made them think we could stop it, did they really think we could vaccinate the world in short order? seems like the line is always moving with this thing.
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    Why hasnt this ever occurred before, is this one just different because it is so transmissable compared to others or more deadly? what made them think we could stop it, did they really think we could vaccinate the world in short order? seems like the line is always moving with this thing.

But it has. Why do you think they provide an annual flu vaccine? Why do you have to reintroduce a tetanus vaccine every so many years?

Now, as to why they thought they could stop it... I really cannot answer. It is not like the way a COVID virus acts is strange to us. SARS was a Covid type as I understand but was very difficult to spread so it did not every truly become a pandemic.

I do think that is one of the early worries about COVID19...was that it could mutate to be more SARS like from a lethality standpoint but be much more transmutable to others. Has not occurred yet but could I suppose.

I have accepted that I and my family will have to learn to live with a COVID19 variant going forward. Will be making annual choices on a vaccine. Much like I did a flu shot. I never took a flu shot. Never felt threatened...but I would have as I aged because the Flu is much more lethal as we age and our lungs and other systems degenerate.

To this point, COVID19 had been similar. IT seemed to attack those with compromised immune or respiratory systems the worst. Not 100% but highly weighted to other issue such as weight, lung function, age, etc. Delta may be changing that but so far, it appears spread and lethality are the same...just now found a new population. And Delta is transmutable to someone with the vaccine. Those individuals appear to be mostly mild to asymptomatic but their viral load is the same as a person who is unvaccinated...which means they spread at the same rate as a person who is unvaccinated. Hence, them moving back to asking for masks...

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    It is really a bit of column A and column B. Another factor is this is only the 7th known coronavirus strain to infect humans.

Four of the known human-infecting coronavirus strains (OC43, HKU1, 229E, and NL63) are a common source of the 'common cold', viral pneumonia, etc. Though I do have to say, for the sake of clarity, the majority of common cold cases are caused by rhinoviruses. These strains are relatively mild but also notably contagious. Because they are so relatively mild (though they can cause pneumonia in infants, the elderly, etc.), there hasn't been a lot of pressure to develop vaccines for these strains, we have a lot of other heavier hitters to focus on.

The other three (SARS-CoV, MERS-COV, and SARS-CoV-2) are where things get more severe. Of these three, MERS has the highest fatality rate (30%) but could barely transmit from human-to-human and eventually died out. Everyone remembers the original SARS virus, this virus was severe enough that we began investigating how to create vaccines for the virus. Thankfully we controlled the virus before the vaccines were needed but the research from this initial outbreak was applicable to both the MERS outbreak and the current outbreak. In the end, this is a huge part of the reason we were able to develop a vaccine so quickly; we were "standing on the shoulders of giants". We already knew a huge amount about how this virus infected people, what its weaknesses were, etc.

As for the line moving, it isn't moving. Most of our vaccines are not perfect, this includes vaccines against measles, polio, etc. They rely on a combination of extremely high levels of vaccination, relatively high efficacy rates, and a reduction of symptoms to convey a broad-scale immunity; this virus is no different. We have potentially compounded this situation by giving the booster shots too close together. This was a necessary decision to save lives and try to return things to normal, only time will tell whether it was a good one or not. As I have mentioned elsewhere, most of our vaccines which use a booster give the booster at 6mo-1yr to achieve optimal long-lasting immunity but that was not a time scale we could afford when over 3k people a day were dying at the peak.

I also want to mention, there is a LOT of disinformation going on right now from people who don't understand biostatistics/study design/epidemiology/etc. I'll get into that a bit in my next post, which discuses some of the misleading data out there.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 08-18-2021 at 10:31 AM.

Eagerly awaiting second post Pedro. It's a befuddled Covid world out there, I always look forward to your clarity and knowledge.