Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Air Fryer Cooking...

Santa brought us a 7Qt Air Fryer for Christmas. Had been traveling some so today decided to take it on its maiden use on fried Dill Pickles (Daughters favorite).

Simple flour mix. I decided to use an egg wash then dip in the spiced flour mix then sprayed with cooking oil.

Turned out ok. Still a bit mealy but tasted like dill chips. If I had to do it over I would use Dill Spears because you would get more volume to eat.

You guys doing any air fryer cooking?

Rupp's Runt

Air Fryer Cooking...

Have one but I'm not doing anything to brag about. Frozen fries and nuggets mostly for the girls. Much quicker than the oven.

I have roasted some veggies a few times that turned out pretty good.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Re: Air Fryer Cooking...

We bought one last May, and are just now beginning to use it. One of these days we’re going to try the rotisserie attachment and try a chicken in it.

Santa brought me a 5 qt. one over Christmas and I have no idea what to do with it. So far I’ve just used it to cook some frozen jalapeño poppers. I’m wondering if I can fry fish in it instead of the fry daddy?
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Air Fryer Cooking...

Kids got us a Cosori Air Fryer Toaster Oven Combo 12-in-1 Countertop Rotisserie & Dehydrator for Christmas, and other than being able to use it with Alexa, I don't know what it does. Haven't taken it out of the box yet. I told it to bring me a beer, but it didn't listen when I tried that, but it was in the box, so maybe that's not a good test.

I hope to try some more veggies with it as well as the rotisserie although I have a hard time cooking a chicken anywhere but my smoker (made a great smoked salmon yesterday!).

Ours also dehydrates as well so my try that. There seems to be a lof recipies out there but time to do them is a challenge.

Rupp's Runt

I feel like the veggies do better in the air fryer than the oven.

Pork chops...man they are great for pork chops.
    Go Cats!

Insta pot Omni plus. Best $200 you’ll spend. I’m sure there are other good ones but this one is just the right size I can get 5 pork chops on it and see them cook. Just dial it to the setting for what you’re cooking and walk away unless you need to turn it sometimes.
    Go Cats!

We haven’t tried this, but some friends swear by using the air fryer for bacon.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    We haven’t tried this, but some friends swear by using the air fryer for bacon.
    Never air fried it, but have have baked it and that is great. So I could see it being good. Clean up? That might be fun as well lol

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Never air fried it, but have have baked it and that is great. So I could see it being good. Clean up? That might be fun as well lol
    Yeah, bacon isn’t exactly the easiest thing to clean up after cooking.

Girlfriend has an air fryer, and can't eat fried foods very well so I have been homeworking these things and figuring out how to adapt to cooking without oil. That's a good thing for me too, so I'm good to do it.

First thing I learned is that an air fryer is as simple as it seems. it's just a smaller convection oven, both with a fan to keep the hotter air circulating around the food. Without the fan the colder food creates an area of colder air around itself, taking longer to cook and not cooking evenly or as quickly, thus you don't get the crisping effect of oil. That's why oil works so well, it blankets the food in that heat uniformly and right against the surface, with only air and moisture escaping the food to otherwise prevent contact. The air/oil thing I knew from Alton Brown already, his Good Eats show is awesome at this stuff.

My stove has a good convection fan in it, but the trick is to let it get good and hot before you put in any food. If you do that it tends to work pretty well. I have a smaller air fryer too and it does well, but IMO so would a countertop convection oven or a regular big convection oven. Air circulation is the key and some are better at it than others I'm sure.

I'm going to be working on a modified french fry approach soon. I have a low oil option and then I'm going with the 100% convection option. I'll let you know if they dont' suck. lol.

Going to be reading this avidly for ideas. She can take some oil, like stir fry level, which is good as that's what I do most of the time, but I really need low oil approaches and would be nice to be able to do fried chicken etc. b/c she likes it but can't eat it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

With Bacon I would think the benefit is getting it on a rack just so more oil gets away from it, so I could see convection/air frying working for it well. I have put it in microwave and that works, and the benefit there is you can put a paper towel over it and not have the spatter. How to do that in an air fryer or convection is tricky as you'd kill the air flow you need.

I have a plastic thing for doing it in the microwave somewhere. It works well, but I rarely cook bacon.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Try this ..

Air Fryer Mini Pizzas

Dough (can use canned biscuits or pizza dough"
    Pizza toppings (tomato sauce/Marinara, mozzarella cheese, for us pepperoni, Italian sausage (pre-cooked), bell pepper, mushroom.

Preheat Air Fryer oven to 400 for at least 5 minutes.

roll out dough to about 4" round
    Spray air fryer tray with olive oil
    put on toppings and place in oven for 4 minutes or until golden brown.

Good food.

Also made some fried dill pickles over the weekend (and whipped up some homemade dip with mayo, sour cream, and a modified ranch ingredients that included Siracha)

we used Dill Chips. If I had to do it over again I would use Wedges.

Simple"
    1 Cup all purpose flour
    TBS Garlic Powder, black pepper,
    Tps Chili powder, salt
    1/2 tps cayenne pepper (less if you like less spicy
    basically dip the pickle chips in the flour to cover, lightly spray with oil and then and put on air fryer tray and cook for 8-10 mins at 400 (Pre heated).
    flip the pickles and cook another 5 mins.

They were pretty good. The Fried pickle flavor was there. I would be lying if I said I would mistake for real frying however.

I have not tried these yet but thought I would post the link:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collecti...fryer-recipes/

Rupp's Runt

Air Fryer Cooking...

Quick and easy but yummy

Frozen fries (steak and shake brand do well in my air fryer)

Cheese curds

Topped with beef gravy. (Mix or jar is fine. I prefer the mix)

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Outside of roasting them on a stick over a camp fire, it is the best way to cook a hot dog I have ever seen.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.