Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Ben Sasse - The State of the Republican Party

This is an excellent essay and article about the state of the Republican Party.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-party/617707/
    ~Puma~

Rupp's Runt

Re: Ben Sasse - The State of the Republican Party

Some of the article is on point, and the rest of it is complete garbage.
    Politicians ON BOTH SIDES are mainly responsible for all of the crap that is happening.
    Most POLITICIANS at that level are trash. It's that plain and simple. Pick a party, they're ALL EQUALLY WORTHLESS.
    And then we wonder WHY our Republic is in the shape it's in? I don't.
    Our Founding Fathers showed us the way. And they were not wrong in how to accomplish that goal.
    Extreme problems sometimes require extreme remedies.
    Politicians at that level are paid professional liars. It's what they do and who they are. They don't solve problems, they just create more problems to keep their faces in front of the TV screen so that they can lie some more about what they will allegedly do to rectify the problems that they themselves created.

Just want to make sure its clear that wasn't a reporters article. It was an essay by Ben Sasse on the state of the Republican Party.
    ~Puma~

Need term limits that is the only way to eliminate the power that these politicians have and the accumulated wealth they garner.

Fab Five

There are “blossoming seeds” in both political parties. And, if any take root, the Republic will fail.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Hey, he's one of yours, so call him what you want.
    What you cannot call him is a closet liberal or a moderate. He is a staunch conservative.
    And what he predicted in that phone call turned out to be true. Trump lost the election and cost Republicans the Senate.

As a Dem, I hope Republicans don't listen to guys like him. Heck, I am hoping like crazy Trump starts that "Patriot Party" that is being reported. That would be like Christmas.
    ~Puma~

Rupp's Runt

He's a typical fair weather career politician that goes along whichever way the wind is blowing.
    Yes, he is a POS. But then, almost all of them are. Paid professional liars, con artists and other assorted human trash at that level. Oh, and let's not forget, many of them are criminals too.
    Like the newest resident of the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    He's a typical fair weather career politician that goes along whichever way the wind is blowing.
    Yes, he is a POS. But then, almost all of them are. Paid professional liars, con artists and other assorted human trash at that level. Oh, and let's not forget, many of them are criminals too.
    Like the newest resident of the White House.
    He literally was one of about no one to speak out against Trump long before the Capitol riots. He def wasn't going "Which way the wind was blowing". He will get a serious primary challenge now. Frankly, the Capitol riots helped him.

He has been a staunch conservative and was lauded on this board for years for NOT being a normal fair weather politician.
    But, he lost Hannity, etc as soon as that recording came out last year. He dared question the Trump train.
    Last edited by ukpumacat; 01-21-2021 at 11:48 AM.
    ~Puma~

Rupp's Runt

But Sasse was sooooooo quick to accept a Trump endorsement when he needed some help.
    He's a political prostitute. And I don't mean to compare him to the good prostitutes everywhere.

But Sasse was sooooooo quick to accept a Trump endorsement when he needed some help.
    He's a political prostitute. And I don't mean to compare him to the good prostitutes everywhere.
    Absolutely. Same with Romney. They are hypocrites. But, them speaking out once they were elected went against the wind...not with it.
    ~Puma~

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    Just want to make sure its clear that wasn't a reporters article. It was an essay by Ben Sasse on the state of the Republican Party.
    Who is going to deliver the next state of the GOP article? Romney? Toomey? Flake?

Just like Romney. Romney sought out Trump’s endorsement, and has been a turncoat since he was elected.

Absolutely. Same with Romney. They are hypocrites. But, them speaking out once they were elected went against the wind...not with it.
    Neither thought they were speaking against the wind. They get to Washington and become detached.

Sasse is a staunch globalist.

I do not equate Conservativism with Globalism.. That is what has happened to the GOP.

I freely admit, I am a populist. Not a conservative.

Hey, he's one of yours, so call him what you want.
    What you cannot call him is a closet liberal or a moderate. He is a staunch conservative.
    And what he predicted in that phone call turned out to be true. Trump lost the election and cost Republicans the Senate.

As a Dem, I hope Republicans don't listen to guys like him. Heck, I am hoping like crazy Trump starts that "Patriot Party" that is being reported. That would be like Christmas.

Sasse about to get censured by Nebraska Republicans...

Cheney already has.

I think at most of the 9 house members and all the Senators that voted for impeachment get primaried next time they run. Just wait for it. the Trump R's are pissed and out for blood.

Sasse about to get censured by Nebraska Republicans...

Cheney already has.

I think at most of the 9 house members and all the Senators that voted for impeachment get primaried next time they run. Just wait for it. the Trump R's are pissed and out for blood.
    Louisiana now Censuring Cassidy.

Here is the funning thing. Sasse, Cassidy, Murkowski, and Collins just re-elected in 2020 so they are hoping 6 years is too many for Trump Supporters to remember to primary them. Collins may survive. I do not think Cassidy and Murkowski will. Toomey already announced he is not re-running in 2022.

Burr has re-election coming up in 2022. Either he does not care if he wins or loses or has decided he is not going to run. He will be primaried. Guaranteed. NC is a purple state but the R's lean hard R and are big Trump.

Romney is the other one that is interesting. He got elected with a lot of independent support...but he has to get through is primary in 2024. He dominated the primary in 2018 and Trump won Utah but only with 58%. I am guessing RINO Romney is safe.

Burr is the only one that had something to lose. The rest were simply Old Time GOP votes that do not like the populist movement. Period.

Sasse is a staunch globalist.

I do not equate Conservativism with Globalism.. That is what has happened to the GOP.

I freely admit, I am a populist. Not a conservative.
    Globalists like Sasse are living in the past and cannot read the current state of the GOP as a more populist/conservative party that support businesses at home ahead of the interests of the global elite.

Louisiana now Censuring Cassidy.

Here is the funning thing. Sasse, Cassidy, Murkowski, and Collins just re-elected in 2020 so they are hoping 6 years is too many for Trump Supporters to remember to primary them. Collins may survive. I do not think Cassidy and Murkowski will. Toomey already announced he is not re-running in 2022.

Burr has re-election coming up in 2022. Either he does not care if he wins or loses or has decided he is not going to run. He will be primaried. Guaranteed. NC is a purple state but the R's lean hard R and are big Trump.

Romney is the other one that is interesting. He got elected with a lot of independent support...but he has to get through is primary in 2024. He dominated the primary in 2018 and Trump won Utah but only with 58%. I am guessing RINO Romney is safe.

Burr is the only one that had something to lose. The rest were simply Old Time GOP votes that do not like the populist movement. Period.
    I’m not sure Romney is safe at all. There will be a big push to get Jason Chaffetz to run against him in 2024. Romney sought out Trump’s endorsement in 2018 and his actions since that time have not endeared him to the electorate.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I’m not sure Romney is safe at all. There will be a big push to get Jason Chaffetz to run against him in 2024. Romney sought out Trump’s endorsement in 2018 and his actions since that time have not endeared him to the electorate.
    I hope you are right...

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...l-party-213935

This is an interesting article, albeit almost five years old, but it talks about the demise of the Whigs and some similarities to what’s going on within the Republican Party of today.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...l-party-213935

This is an interesting article, albeit almost five years old, but it talks about the demise of the Whigs and some similarities to what’s going on within the Republican Party of today.
    Thank you for posting this link and I recall learning this in my old American History classes.

A couple of things I note as I read the tone of this article. First, the arrogance of the officers and their reaction to a man who was not like them as they described him "he looks more like an old farmer going to market with eggs to sell" and later one Whig Senator wondered how "sleeping 40 years in the woods and cultivating moss on the calves of his legs" qualified him as POTUS. I think Many of the progressive Democrats and establishment republicans see Trump with this same elitist POV. "He is not one of them so does not deserve to lead" seems to be the sentiment on both. But, his popularity with the regular American was forefront...like Trump. The elitist I am right people did/do not like them.

Another similarity, Taylor was an American, not a member of a party. He was a true nationalist.

The comparison of the Whigs (basically founded on anti-war sentiment and limitation of POTUS power) and today's GOP may be a bit of a stretch however. The GOP has relied heavily over the years on POTUS power to offset a normally D controlled House of Reps and even somewhat a more progressive SCOTUS.

I think the flaw we really see between a person like Taylor and Trump is that the establishment just cannot accept a person that has not been a politician or bureaucrat as a legitimate candidate. That is a form of elitism that the average American sees but the average politically involved person cannot understand. This from Taylor's biographer: "one of the strangest presidential candidates in all our annals … the first serious White House contender in history without the slightest experience in any sort of civil government.” It is inconceivable to the politicians then and now how someone not part of politics can be POTUS so they rail against them.

Having said all that, where the comparison ends is the reason for popularity of Taylor vs. Trump. Taylor was a war hero. He won major battles while being grossly outnumbered. He only wanted to be POTUS After being convinced he should want to be POTUS. He really had not political convictions at all except for politics and politicians suck.

Trump does. He is a true nationalist. He believes in putting the American Workforce first and backs that up with policy. Does that contradict the GOP of the last 50 years. I think it does. So, either the GOP changes to this new position or a new party will arise. It really is that simple. The numbers are driving it right now and it appears the GOP will change. The members like Sasse and Romney are on their way out. They are a relic of the past.

Some good points. To me where the article makes valid comparisons between the Whigs and the modern Republican Party is that the Whigs pretty much went against many of their basic tenets in order to gain the White House with an outsider populist. Much like today’s GOP, they were a coalition of many different interests united against the Democrats. In the Whig’s case their undoing was when they couldn’t reconcile the slavery issue between its northern and southern factions.

I’m certain most observers aren’t many predicting a similar collapse in today’s Republican Party but there are definitely some obvious internal rifts that so far don’t show many signs of reconciliation.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Some good points. To me where the article makes valid comparisons between the Whigs and the modern Republican Party is that the Whigs pretty much went against many of their basic tenets in order to gain the White House with an outsider populist. Much like today’s GOP, they were a coalition of many different interests united against the Democrats. In the Whig’s case their undoing was when they couldn’t reconcile the slavery issue between its northern and southern factions.

I’m certain most observers aren’t many predicting a similar collapse in today’s Republican Party but there are definitely some obvious internal rifts that so far don’t show many signs of reconciliation.

You are correct. For many years the GOP has been the voice of Global Trade and less restrictions on it. One of the reasons I am so protectionist is because I saw what happened with the Armco Steel mill in Ashland...it was to inefficient and did not make good steel to sell so shut down putting thousands out of work....a year later it was reassembled in Mexico. Just after NAFTA. It was really about labor costs making them unable to compete.

Do not get me wrong. Labor was part of the issue. The leadership should have known they had asked for to much to keep the American Steel industry competitive. But still.

What Trump did was change the base and membership of the GOP. So, while he has taken the GOP off of its globalist economic model, he kept much of the rest of the GOP platform and in doing so, added millions of voters to the GOP Rolls....almost all former Democrats. And surprisingly, a number of immigrants and African Americans.

Taylor did not do that. Actually got less votes....

Well the Democrats still have more voters on their rolls than the Republicans but the GOP did add 100,000 since 2008–until the events of January 6th that is. Voter registrations are always in flux and people don’t always vote their party anyway but that entire 100,000 voter gain and then some was erased within the first three weeks of 1/6. More and more Republicans are saying that Trump doesn’t represent them and if he is going to be the titular leader of the party then that party is no longer for them, at least for the time being. This is really very similar to what happened with the Whigs.