Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (merged) Did UK and coaches take a knee tonight while the anthem was being played?

Re: (merged) Did UK and coaches take a knee tonight while the anthem was being played

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    And I am sure you really believe that when your president in Harris that she will be respectful and listen to you.
    Be honest with yourself and not every riot be it this summer or at the capital should never be accepted.
    Why are there paid rioters? Can you answer that.
    Here in Louisville there were a ton of paid rioters causing the damage
    , that doesn’t sound like a group that has a cause or a care.
    I would like to answer your question, but I have researched this and cannot find any evidence. I see a few unsubstantiated claims that have been fact checked, much like you offer (and typically tend to), but that is about it.

Anything that you can provide?

Re: (merged) Did UK and coaches take a knee tonight while the anthem was being played

Personally I’m disgusted by the idea of kneeling for the anthem and that is before I married someone that’s parents were both very involved in Vietnam and are proud veterans. I think to say kneeling is not disrespectful to our country and those who have fought for it is extemely naive, as it was intended to be disrespectful thus why it created a movement. That being said, if one feels this is what they want to do I will not condemn it, as their cause of repression is just, and it’s worked to get it into mainstream, but I will always be sickened when I see it. Sorry I just have a real soft spot for those who died for our country and I think about it every time I hear the anthem. I’ve told my daughter that if she would like to acknowledge racial injustice and feels she needs to do so, out of respect for her grandparents I do not want her to kneel with her team, but find another means. Kneel in prayer before or after the anthem, just respect our anthem. That’s my message as a parent who is concerned his child will be felt she has to do what her team Does and it doesn’t align with what I expect her to do. She’s 14, when she’s older if she feels led to do so then so be it, but that’s my teaching. Also she spent the night with as did all other white girls their black friend who had a birthday get together. Her dad is one of our coaches who I message with more than anyone. I want to do anything to help those who feel they need a voice, and I believe there is still injustice. I will not compromise my beliefs of our country in the process. I do feel some relief that our boys put their hands over their heart. I’ll take that as acknowledging our flag I suppose but it’s not quiet what I would have done.
    Go Cats!

I am 100% sure that’s the problem most are not taught how to respect.

I am 100% sure that’s the problem most are not taught how to respect.
    Right (sarcasm intended).

Surely, it couldn't be that different people have different ideas about what is respect. Why is YOUR version of respect superior to anyone else's?

Why are your thoughts and opinions superior?

Why are your thoughts and opinions superior?
    They're not always. Only when they are backed with facts and viewed against an alternate opinion that is not. That goes for anyone's opinion, not just mine.

For example, I can make a statement like 'I think Cal is doing a good job with this team given the difficulties with Covid', and only offer that up. Someone can counter with 'How can you say that. The team started 1-6. Players quit. He won't play Allen who possesses the skills the team needs. Sarr is playing poorly. The elite guys are underperforming.'

THAT would be a superior opinion because it is supported by actual facts. Void of providing any validation to support my opinion, it really doesn't mean much.

That is not what is happening here, though. You seem to be saying there is only one way to respect and will not even consider that other people are free to respect in their own manner. I am simply asking why your way, the only way, is superior?

I don't like the idea of kneeling in general. but I might have kneeled myself this particular week. It has not been a good week,
    My mother used to tell me, "Elwood, in this world, you must be oh, so smart or oh, so nice." For years I was smart. I recommend nice. You may quote me. - Elwood P. Dowd

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by goodycat View Post
    Completely aside from this issue, it’s been clear to me from the beginning that Cal views himself as superior to the average Kentuckian. The “you people are crazy” mantra of his has always had the subtext of his disdain for overwhelming majority of UK fans. I don’t harbor any ill will towards Cal, but I don’t have any illusions about his feelings towards us.
    I agree. But to be frank, Cal knows if he doesn’t support this movement, regardless of his personal views, he is out of business. You can’t be in the business of basketball and not support the radical left.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    Personally I’m disgusted by the idea of kneeling for the anthem and that is before I married someone that’s parents were both very involved in Vietnam and are proud veterans. I think to say kneeling is not disrespectful to our country and those who have fought for it is extemely naive, as it was intended to be disrespectful thus why it created a movement. That being said, if one feels this is what they want to do I will not condemn it, as their cause of repression is just, and it’s worked to get it into mainstream, but I will always be sickened when I see it. Sorry I just have a real soft spot for those who died for our country and I think about it every time I hear the anthem. I’ve told my daughter that if she would like to acknowledge racial injustice and feels she needs to do so, out of respect for her grandparents I do not want her to kneel with her team, but find another means. Kneel in prayer before or after the anthem, just respect our anthem. That’s my message as a parent who is concerned his child will be felt she has to do what her team Does and it doesn’t align with what I expect her to do. She’s 14, when she’s older if she feels led to do so then so be it, but that’s my teaching. Also she spent the night with as did all other white girls their black friend who had a birthday get together. Her dad is one of our coaches who I message with more than anyone. I want to do anything to help those who feel they need a voice, and I believe there is still injustice. I will not compromise my beliefs of our country in the process. I do feel some relief that our boys put their hands over their heart. I’ll take that as acknowledging our flag I suppose but it’s not quiet what I would have done.
    I don’t think it’s right to kneel for the National anthem. I also don’t think putting up with Trump and following him as our leader is necessary now either.

My feelings on this are the same as yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genuine Realist View Post
    I don't like the idea of kneeling in general. but I might have kneeled myself this particular week. It has not been a good week,

The Laurel County sheriff burning UK gear is so childish.. not sure if you all have seen it.. it’s embarrassing. After that happened last week at the Capital, Trump supporters or republicans all together have zero room to talk about kneeling, BLM, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    The Laurel County sheriff burning UK gear is so childish.. not sure if you all have seen it.. it’s embarrassing. After that happened last week at the Capital, Trump supporters or republicans all together have zero room to talk about kneeling, BLM, etc..
    From Vince Marrow...

https://twitter.com/vincemarrow/stat...62482327789573

Its not just that its childish....it feeds the awful stereotypes that Kentucky has been trying to shake off for years. Cal knows this as well as anyone as he is the one in the living room with many of these families.
    Really REALLY a bad look.
    ~Puma~

One and Done

I've honestly been confused by some of your comments regarding this issue. Are you saying that people can't oppose what happened at the capitol and also oppose the decision to kneel during the national anthem? It appears that you are saying all Republicans (including those who were not present in DC and who do not support what took place) must no longer oppose kneeling, BLM/Antifa riots, etc. because of what happened in DC. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

I've honestly been confused by some of your comments regarding this issue. Are you saying that people can't oppose what happened at the capitol and also oppose the decision to kneel during the national anthem? It appears that you are saying all Republicans (including those who were not present in DC and who do not support what took place) must no longer oppose kneeling, BLM/Antifa riots, etc. because of what happened in DC. Just doesn't make much sense to me.
    He can speak for himself but I know that is not what he is saying. He means credibility. As in, Trump supporters have lost credibility to try and have a discussion about kneeling or not after what happened last week (like a guy murdering a cop with an American flag).
    ~Puma~

Yes.. thanks for clarifying for me puma.. I don’t like BLM burning billions of dollars worth of buildings.. I don’t like athletes kneeling for the flag... I don’t like people taking over the capital with plans to take down political figures.. you can say oh they were just joking? But there are pictures of guys with police ties. They brought weapons and bombs to the capital.. so now conservatives have to be humbled because one thing we have always taken pride is, while we may not like the outcomes of political races, we roll up our sleeves and go to work and the next round, we vote... instead trump followers have become what we despise, crazy right wing extremists who make the whole party look insane.. the same way the left wing nut jobs make democrats look

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Yes.. thanks for clarifying for me puma.. I don’t like BLM burning billions of dollars worth of buildings.. I don’t like athletes kneeling for the flag... I don’t like people taking over the capital with plans to take down political figures.. you can say oh they were just joking? But there are pictures of guys with police ties. They brought weapons and bombs to the capital.. so now conservatives have to be humbled because one thing we have always taken pride is, while we may not like the outcomes of political races, we roll up our sleeves and go to work and the next round, we vote... instead trump followers have become what we despise, crazy right wing extremists who make the whole party look insane.. the same way the left wing nut jobs make democrats look
    This I agree with. We need to drop Trump like a hot potato and move more to the center.

Darryl

You can't really move to the center when you talk about hating liberals and denying inequality. Accepting alternative facts is a pretty big impetus too. I haven't seen many centrists (right or left) that can't pass this test.

Maybe a good start would be to just drop Trump, which SHOULD be supporting accountability for his actions in the way of invoking the 25th amendment or supporting Impeachment w/conviction.

I know that it's not my authority to define these, but they are all similarities that I have observed in folks that call themselves right (or left) of center (sub liberals above for conservatives)

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    This I agree with. We need to drop Trump like a hot potato and move more to the center.

Darryl
    Nooooooooo....haha.
    ~Puma~

One and Done

You can’t possibly believe that all Republicans or even all people that voted for Trump bear some responsibility for what happened at the Capitol. There is no doubt that there are some crazy people that have done abhorrent things, but what you are suggesting is like saying that everyone here is responsible for the few idiots that tweet horrible comments to the players. Simply not true.

You can’t possibly believe that all Republicans or even all people that voted for Trump bear some responsibility for what happened at the Capitol. There is no doubt that there are some crazy people that have done abhorrent things, but what you are suggesting is like saying that everyone here is responsible for the few idiots that tweet horrible comments to the players. Simply not true.
    Goodness no...buttt, let’s be real, when I see the Portland stuff, the riots, I think if crazy left wing democrats... and I am great friends with democrats that are not that left.. the world sees the capital and they think Republicans...just the way it is

Ugh.
    This was expected.

Now on the front page of ESPN for every future recruit to see. Sigh

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...klash-kneeling

I doubt it would impact basketball recruiting at all and if it impacts football recruiting probably not much if any. These players know there are nuts everywhere. At least this shows that at UK the coaches and school administrators will support them.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I doubt it would impact basketball recruiting at all and if it impacts football recruiting probably not much if any. These players know there are nuts everywhere. At least this shows that at UK the coaches and school administrators will support them.
    Recruiters say that it absolutely does impact recruiting. No doubt that the school and the sports programs support helps, but young adults do not want to have to deal with the nonsense and if all else is basically equal, will not, and I do not blame them one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    Ugh.
    This was expected.

Now on the front page of ESPN for every future recruit to see. Sigh

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...klash-kneeling
    Why did I know who the reporter would be even before I clicked that link? That turd has been a UK hater for years and never misses an opportunity to try and make the school and it's sports programs look as bad as possible.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Why did I know who the reporter would be even before I clicked that link? That turd has been a UK hater for years and never misses an opportunity to try and make the school and it's sports programs look as bad as possible.
    In this case...Kentucky fans made his job very easy imo. Especially that Sheriff.
    ~Puma~

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

I want to ensure I have this correct; players have the right to kneel. Those that disagree are ignorant racists that are hurting the program.

Darryl

I want to ensure I have this correct; players have the right to kneel. Those that disagree are ignorant racists that are hurting the program.

Darryl
    Yep, that’s right. And I think it’s crazy and also think trump is an asshat. Stand and honor the flag then kneel afterward to honor our people that need us.
    Go Cats!

Darryl
    Well, I certainly don't think that. And I don't think that article stated that either (I know this is a long thread so not sure exactly who you were responding to).

My personal opinion is that the players have the right to kneel. And fans have the right to disagree with them kneeling. And disagreeing doesn't make someone racist.

But, I do think that the reaction to it and especially the actions of that sheriff which went viral is a terrible look for the program. And I do think that it reinforces stereotypes about Kentucky and Kentucky fans...no matter how wrong or right those stereotypes are.
    ~Puma~

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    Well, I certainly don't think that. And I don't think that article stated that either (I know this is a long thread so not sure exactly who you were responding to).

My personal opinion is that the players have the right to kneel. And fans have the right to disagree with them kneeling. And disagreeing doesn't make someone racist.

But, I do think that the reaction to it and especially the actions of that sheriff which went viral is a terrible look for the program. And I do think that it reinforces stereotypes about Kentucky and Kentucky fans...no matter how wrong or right those stereotypes are.
    He was just baiting. He should know well that only half of what he said is true.