Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Covid, Road Trip, Kids, check-in

A few things. First, I’m going vagabonding thru Colorado, New Mexico, Texas’ Big Bend, who knows, maybe a town near you.

Second the DastardlyDukegirl is going with me. Her daughter is an RN, she has specialties, also works for United States military on the side when called for emergency hospitals in covid stressed areas.

Third leaving sons behind one who has been exposed twice and one who has spent four days a week as night shift mgr of a local convenience store near campus. (We have hasd 3000 cases ages 20-29 here in a town of 50k.)

Part of the road trip is to, reluctantly and worriedly abandon the kids. We hang out too much for (me the heart attack and leukemia survivor.)

One thing I have to say, getting covid is not a sin. If they get it, if I get it from them or anywhere, it is not a sign of moral turpitude. Our kids are out there, amongst it all. Please be kind to all who catch this. Watch your words, scolding, attitude. It’s you next. Most of us will get it. The bug falleth on the righteous and unrighteous like rain in equal measure.

Re: Covid, Road Trip, Kids, check-in

No doubt it happens like so many other uncaring and callous responses by people anymore.

But who on earth would have the gnads to scold someone for succumbing to a pandemic?

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Fab Five

DIL and granddaughters have been in quarantine since Dec 23. 2 yr old has been positive with symptoms. It sucks.
    Real Fan since 1958

Have a good safe trip, Bigsky. I'm even starting to like your companion. I figure if each of you can tolerate each other, you both must be ok.

But I'd still root against Duke.

I’ve got family members in all kinds of different scenarios that have tested positive.

I have quite a few family members that are front line workers. I have a sister that is an RN with her masters, she has been spread all over different areas of health care through this whole thing, from administration to ICU, to traveling out for home care. (AZ)I’ve got a niece that’s a practitioner, one that’s in ER another in ICU, (IN)and another intake coordinator (AZ) Two of the nieces have tested positive, my sister has been quarantined twice. My 89 year old dad and his 70 something wife both have had “it”. (KY)My SIL just got out of the hospital after about 10 days with dbl pneumonia and covid. She lives with her daughters family, and both her and her husband tested positive. (IN) Let’s see, my step daughter currently has “it” and is recovering, albeit slowly. (CO).

...all have had varying degrees of symptoms and all have had different symptoms... from respiratory, to aches chills, gastric, head aches, along with loss of taste/smell. My SIL has been the only one hospitalized

Too date all have recovered including my 89 year old father and his wife.

Anyway, I would never covid shame anyone, in addition to the family members that are front line workers, the others all have different occupations, some of which are semi laid off, including school teacher, national event coordinator, major construction, and of course my Dad, he’s in charge of rest and relaxation and listening to his wife babble.

Keep your heads down, stay away from folks, wear a mask, and hand sanitizer on everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Checking in. In Presidio Texas on the Mexican border. It is poor around here. Hiking in the state park—good.Stuff breaking and falling off the trailer—bad. Raining today, good for locals as this is the deep red drought area. Not so good for visitors. Have not watched a UK game since Florida—here the only over the air channels are from the other side of the Rio Grandio. Trip 1600 miles from Bozeman included keeping the rubber side down in an unusual high wind storm that stretched from the Canadian border to the Colorado/New Mexico border.

Good stuff, Bigsky. Any trip that lets us stretch our legs in this Covid period is a good trip. Stay safe and have fun.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Happy that the trip is going well for you. Sorry about the nasty wind. Occasionally we need to remind the Canadians to shut the damn door this time of the year.

As i recall it, Presidio is a standard border town. 1 road in and the same road out. I think there was an east west connector road that was pretty much unimproved but it would get you out of town in an emergency.

Travel safe my friend.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

What a hoot! I’m envious. I wish I could do the same. I’d pack up and head west with no real itinerary, and just meander around for six months or so..... one day.

Stay safe...

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Only a nitwit would chastise another for catching COVID-19. At least in my estimation.
    I see this the same way as I see people catching the common cold. It just happens. It's just part of life. Are there risks? Of course. So you do what you can to protect yourself and your family, avoid unneeded risks, wash your hands and wear the mask when out in public.
    This will pass, just like cold & flu season does every year. It just requires more caution due to the heightened risk factors for those with weakened immune systems.
    And one other thing: to hell with the damned Chinese Communists for doing this to the rest of the world. JMHO.

Kerrville after more than a week under dark skies of Big Bend. All good except new fifth wheel falling apart. Also whether I am a fifth wheel driver.

Drinkin wine spo dee oh dee. 100 a couple for the month. 40 wineries (4 a day) till I holler uncle

I did not know that south west Texas is famous for it's fermented grapes. Enjoy the tastings and keep the dirty side down.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Drinkin wine spo dee oh dee. 100 a couple for the month. 40 wineries (4 a day) till I holler uncle
    Haha. Enjoy!
    ~Puma~

Tomorrow will be the last leg thru Texas. Keep good thoughts for me as I manuver a fifth wheel thru Houston. Could not puzzle out their toll road so it’s a bums rush down 610. Kerrville was a good Hill Country stop and I’m wined out. Perhaps only Jackson Hole has more Ciao-bois than Fredricksburg TX. Currently parked at some state park with a big lake (no bass today ahead of the cold front.) Duke girl road bike trails on the mountain bike while I fished). Will be on the Gulf tomorrow seeking shelter from The storm at our last Texas state park south of Beaumont. Then it’s off to Florabama and
    Beyond. The story of Dukegirl breaking the wardrobe slide can be told over alcohol. And that story puts my journeys end at LaGrande Oregon at the manufacturer for repAirs in mid march. Meanwhile it is time to leave barbeque and pie and take up shrimp and mackerel. Truckin...

Fab Five

I’m jealous of this whole vagabonding thing. I’ve been attempting to put one together but have been unsuccessful to date. I need to get some tips. Safe travels my friend.
    Real Fan since 1958

For Mick: on my way back will be stopping in the Ham. Also maybe Oxford town. Not till around March 1 tho.

In Apalachicola for a couple of days. Wanted to stay in the Miss-sipi guff but threat of ice storms pushed me east. I did cruise 30A love that sand and water color.

Spending a few days recharging in the Apalach. Dukegirl flys out of Tallahassee on Tuesday so it’s the old guy and his little dawg too after that. Also re-provisioning In Tallahassee after ditching DG.

I do not like semi truck drivers. They don’t like my 65 mph presence on their highways and show it in many ways. They are bigger so they do what they want. In Montana during this cold snap they have been the cause of innumerable accidents.

An amazing number of Class A vehicles at every stop. Also my fifth wheel is the smallest of the bunch (I would like one much smaller.) For the most part even the bumper pulls are bigger. Would I be better off with a slide-in truck camper? Yes without DG. Maybe no otherwise.

I have talked to a lot of people but nothing stuck really. It’s fairly solitary even in the close quarters of the campground. One state park it was just me and the camp host in 100 or so spots! Other places are full of seasonal or hurricane repair workers. And old. That massive class a almost clipped you because the old dude driving really cant pass the eye test anymore.

Texas has a huge string of interesting state parks—better even than Montana.

Texas Hill country in a general geographic sense was a good combo of drier climate and impoundments. Wine country lake fishin and mostly sunshine did impress me. Altho too many guys with hats but no cattle didnt.

Apalachicola is a nice area, I spent some quality time on St George Island. There is a nice state park out on the island too.

Excellent surf fishing...

Last edited by blueboss; 02-14-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Fab Five

Sky, if you are in the area, you must stop by! As boss said, St. George Is is gorgeous. They are having problems in Appalachicola Bay with the Oysters, (damn development and overpopulation in Atlanta is draining water and killing the beds)but if you can find them they are the world’s best!
    Real Fan since 1958

Eatin oysters drinkin beer at Eastpoint. Walked the beach on St George wishin I wuz fishin

Eatin oysters drinkin beer at Eastpoint. Walked the beach on St George wishin I wuz fishin
    You’re a lucky man living life large!!

Last day at the beach. Weather is bright sun the 60s, not awesome but the dawg likes it. Dukegirl back in Bozeman. I'm puttering around getting ready for the long haul back. Mostly while it's warm figuring out how to winterize the trailer, not doing it, just getting the whole thing puzzled out. Tomorrow I'm off to Alabama, then Mississippi and regions west. Won't turn north of I-40 until I have to.

Fab Five

Last day at the beach. Weather is bright sun the 60s, not awesome but the dawg likes it. Dukegirl back in Bozeman. I'm puttering around getting ready for the long haul back. Mostly while it's warm figuring out how to winterize the trailer, not doing it, just getting the whole thing puzzled out. Tomorrow I'm off to Alabama, then Mississippi and regions west. Won't turn north of I-40 until I have to.
    Good strategy!
    Real Fan since 1958

Won't turn north of I-40 until I have to.
    Just a suggestion if you have never traveled route 83 it is worth a one time drive if you have the time. It is a pretty straight, wide, 2 lane that will carry you north to Interstate 90 between Mitchel and Rapid City. It will remind you a lot of route 66 as it was built years ago to run from Mexico to the Canadian border.

If a person is not pushed for time, it is a relaxing road to drive. It has the nickname "The Road to Nowhere". It does not run thru any large towns but does run thru dozens of small western towns that may consist of a city building, a couple of churches, a gas station and a hometown restaurant.

If you happen to turn north of Interstate 20 onto Hwy 83 you will go thru a town of Guthrie before getting to Interstate 40. The 4 sixes ranch is there and it is world famous for it's Angus cattle herd and its quarter horse breeding operation. It is a working ranch with cowboys that do all their work on horseback. A person can get a tour of the ranch if they call ahead and give sufficient notice. It is not the King Ranch, but it is a neat place to visit.

Oh, one other fact about Guthrie is that the town was established by the Louisville Land and Cattle company back in the mid 1800s.
    seeya
    dan

dan I'm going to Vegas before I turn north. Then up 93 and even a bit smaller all the way to Twin Falls. Weather depending. Don't want to have to go any farther west.

I have not been north that far west. Hwy 83 is my western driving limit. Enjoy the days in Vegas. Been 20 years or so since I was there, and I am sure it has changed a good deal since I was there. Seems like the owners are never satisfied unless they are tearing down or building.

Travel safe!!
    seeya
    dan

Home...

Time for a nap?
    seeya
    dan

Home...
    Sounded like a nice trip, glad you made it home in one piece.

Once a weather window opened I bolted north. Two nights “sleeping” with the bruisers at the rest areas. Last night an unexpected 19 degrees and 30-40 mph winds shut us all down but cruised into BZN sunny and 45.