Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My battle with COVID

I've long been a dissenter of the idiotic shutdowns, mask mandates, and other nefarious restrictions that the plebs of this nation have been subjected to by the ruling class. I have long advocated for therapies and vaccines over archaic outdoor dining, 25% capacity dining, no funerals/wedding restrictions. I've long witnessed the ruling class force rules on you and me while carving exceptions and exemptions for themselves. I've seen them label business as "non-essential" to force people out of work and out of a paycheck while they continue to earn. And now it is even more clear

My father was admitted to the hospital last night. At 78 years of age, in heart failure and having crohn's disease as well as a heart attack at age 44, quadruple bypass and a "watchman", we have always feared Covid with him. My mother, 76 who has battled thyroid cancer twice falls in the same group. Fear has told us if they get it, they die. For me, a 57 yr old overwt individual with history of severe lung issues (multiple embolisms, early COPD) as well as a mild aortic aneurysm, I had concerns about me.

Well 3 days ago my father tested positive. He has been feeling sick since just after Xmas, and we were in town at the time. When he tested positive, we too got tested. Thus far I am positive, my wife is positive, my future sister in law positive, her son positive, 2 nieces (both pregnant) are positive... but only my dad is sick enough to be hospitalized, and this roughly 10 post. Additionally 1 employee at my work is also positive.

So while I dissented, I did follow the mask mandate whenever possible, as well as social distancing. Currently none in the above group are critical, and only my father is a concerns as of now (he is on fluids and O2 but not a ventilator). So my "battle" is a bit tongue in cheek because the perception is that you get it, you die. For me, I had it 10 days before even feeling the need to get tested. See I was one of those asymptomatic people. I had a night or two of mild congestion but no fever, no chills, no fatigue (Or no more than normal). But am quarantined til Monday.... and my business closed for all intents and purposes. I hope none of this board experience this but if you do, rest assured its highly unlikely you will die.

Also, if this needs to be moved to the Barber Shop, fine. No complaints from me
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: My battle with COVID

As someone with a 54-year old family member who has died from Covid, and whose daughter has literally been the last face of many people of all ages who have died of Covid, before I get too pissed, I'll move this to the Barber Shop, where I don't participate or read.

Prayers to your father and family members, Doc, and to all.

Sorry to hear it Doc. I hope your father recovers and you and the rest have mild cases. It's a holdover from the middle ages that people who get sick must have done something wrong, but that is how the media plays every prominent person who gets covid. I'm sure you did nothing wrong.

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Doc, I hope everything works out for you all. From my experience in the hospital, the vast majority of people recover. Even ones with significant health issues. Prayers to your family

Darryl

This is a perfect opportunity to thank all of the front line workers who are risking their lives to care for every person who has fallen ill, even those that have ignored their pleas and are even in denial as they take their last breathes. Too many people prioritize their own freedoms at the cost of these workers and forces them to make decisions about life and death that are unavoidable.

These folks are among the MOST heroic in our nation. I thank them with every ounce of my being for their service. Because of the insistence of too, too many they are on the front lines of a war that their fellow Americans do not support their cause and they are paying the price. Some with their lives and so many more that will suffer from PTSD. Given how our nation (tragically) forgets about our veterans and their needs, I can only expect they will have the same outcome.

They asked us to do one simple thing and we have collectively failed them. I tell every single one of them that I know that they have a friend, a supporter, a voice in me. They are ignored and they will be forgotten, but not by me. I plead with those that prefer their own personal freedoms, putting others at risk, please do not seek medical attention in a system that cannot handle it. Make the decision yourself instead of forcing medical workers to make that decision, but mostly, take some personal responsibility and think of them before yourself and do the VERY simple things that they have asked from you in return for the care that they will ultimately offer you.

My daughter has it at the moment......and I’m freaked out by it because she can’t get back on Campus at The Citadel until she has a negative test....and I’m in the high risk group for having complications with it.
    So......

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I've long been a dissenter of the idiotic shutdowns, mask mandates, and other nefarious restrictions that the plebs of this nation have been subjected to by the ruling class. I have long advocated for therapies and vaccines over archaic outdoor dining, 25% capacity dining, no funerals/wedding restrictions. I've long witnessed the ruling class force rules on you and me while carving exceptions and exemptions for themselves. I've seen them label business as "non-essential" to force people out of work and out of a paycheck while they continue to earn. And now it is even more clear

My father was admitted to the hospital last night. At 78 years of age, in heart failure and having crohn's disease as well as a heart attack at age 44, quadruple bypass and a "watchman", we have always feared Covid with him. My mother, 76 who has battled thyroid cancer twice falls in the same group. Fear has told us if they get it, they die. For me, a 57 yr old overwt individual with history of severe lung issues (multiple embolisms, early COPD) as well as a mild aortic aneurysm, I had concerns about me.

Well 3 days ago my father tested positive. He has been feeling sick since just after Xmas, and we were in town at the time. When he tested positive, we too got tested. Thus far I am positive, my wife is positive, my future sister in law positive, her son positive, 2 nieces (both pregnant) are positive... but only my dad is sick enough to be hospitalized, and this roughly 10 post. Additionally 1 employee at my work is also positive.

So while I dissented, I did follow the mask mandate whenever possible, as well as social distancing. Currently none in the above group are critical, and only my father is a concerns as of now (he is on fluids and O2 but not a ventilator). So my "battle" is a bit tongue in cheek because the perception is that you get it, you die. For me, I had it 10 days before even feeling the need to get tested. See I was one of those asymptomatic people. I had a night or two of mild congestion but no fever, no chills, no fatigue (Or no more than normal). But am quarantined til Monday.... and my business closed for all intents and purposes. I hope none of this board experience this but if you do, rest assured its highly unlikely you will die.

Also, if this needs to be moved to the Barber Shop, fine. No complaints from me

Doc, I hope you and all of your family recover.

I get links and stories from Modern Healthcare. Even the way they present info makes this sound "Catastrophic". Their Headline is 1/1000 will die from COVID-19 this year. That is 335000 people. A big number. But that is a 99.9% not dying of the total population. Survival rate is still about 98.54%. Included on the morality side are people who died while postiive with COVID where Covid may not have been a contributing factore AND people who were likely to expire form other items (Flu etc.) because of their health conditions at the time.

My Point, we do not have great data on the "Excess Death" caused by Covid. The first signs are the decrease in deaths from the Flu. But also, if you look at auto accident deaths being way down (people working from home and not commuting) we do not have good numbers. THat has to be done in hindsight. One area where this is not true is SU Deaths and Suicides. THose have ticked back up. In the past 9 months I know 2 people that lost those battles during "lockdown".

I am much like you. I wear my mask in public and when in stores and even walking down the halls at work. I take it off when I sit at a table in a restaurant. My wife is pleased because all of a sudden I wash my hands after touching things like grocery bags etc instead of just after using the restroom.

All that said, you guys have some risk factors that are concerning so stay on top of this.

Doc, wishing for a fast recovery for you and your family. Really glad you are asymptomatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    As someone with a 54-year old family member who has died from Covid, and whose daughter has literally been the last face of many people of all ages who have died of Covid, before I get too pissed, I'll move this to the Barber Shop, where I don't participate or read.

Prayers to your father and family members, Doc, and to all.
    My point is not everybody dies. In fact most don't, by a large majority. Currently I am very anxious and concerned about my father, and rightly so. I am saddened by every person who dies, and for their families. Sad regardless of why they die, be it cancer or heart dz or accidents or covid
    Last edited by Doc; 01-08-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Sorry to hear it Doc. I hope your father recovers and you and the rest have mild cases. It's a holdover from the middle ages that people who get sick must have done something wrong, but that is how the media plays every prominent person who gets covid. I'm sure you did nothing wrong.
    Exactly. Its like I am a leper. We are calling every client I have seen in the last week to inform them.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    My daughter has it at the moment......and I’m freaked out by it because she can’t get back on Campus at The Citadel until she has a negative test....and I’m in the high risk group for having complications with it.
    So......
    If your biggest concern is your daughter not being able to get back to campus, consider yourself fortunate

My prayers are with everyone and their families to survive and be well. COVID does not just kill people which is the saddest result certainly. But many more have lingering serious issues of which it appears some may not ever totally recover from.

But the odds are with one having a full recovery. I’m thankful for that. I have a close family member who tested positive recently for the COVID antibodies. Most of us dealt with a terrible COVID like virus in December which was never identified. My Uncles death in February was brought on by an unidentifiable virus also. He lived next door to me.
    Last edited by kingcat; 01-08-2021 at 11:10 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Her being on campus gets her out of my home and being a threat to pass it to me....
    and I should add some of the factors that make much more of a serious thing exist in my health, vitamin D deficiency due to having an autoimmune disease and taking an immumo modulating medicine due to that auto immune disease.

If your biggest concern is your daughter not being able to get back to campus, consider yourself fortunate
    Last edited by Catonahottinroof; 01-08-2021 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    Her being on campus gets her out of my home and being a threat to pass it to me....
    and I should add some of the factors that make much more of a serious thing exist in my health, vitamin D deficiency due to having an autoimmune disease and taking an immumo modulating medicine due to that auto immune disease.
    Then your biggest concern should be your health. Odds are she will do fine

My wife, mother in law, sister in law, 20 month old nephew, mother and father all had it in December. Somehow, I never showed symptoms. Tested negative twice after quarantining 8 days and was released.

Prayers for a speedy recovery for all your family Doc.

Agree. She is doing fine....
    Then your biggest concern should be your health. Odds are she will do fine

It’s not to be messed with and spreads like wildfire as you said. I hope your dad is ok, it doesn’t kill a majority and doesn’t mean we should all sit in our homes scared but it takes a few folks early and if one out of ten old folks with health issues goes 5-15 years too early it’s a lot of life to miss and a shame. This virus is not political it is still taking lives and it’s not about to stop. I pray all the folks here and their families stay on the safe side.
    Go Cats!

My battle with COVID

(I just copied and pasted this post from a thread on the porch because I’m lazy) I might add that my wife is in the next wave of vaccinations due to her pulmonary issues. It moves me up as well because of her issues. We’ll be first in line when it’s our turn.

I’ve got family members in all kinds of different scenarios that have tested positive.

I have quite a few family members that are front line workers. I have a sister that is an RN with her masters, she has been spread all over different areas of health care through this whole thing, from administration to ICU, to traveling out for home care. (AZ)I’ve got a niece that’s a practitioner, one that’s in ER another in ICU, (IN)and another intake coordinator (AZ) Two of the nieces have tested positive, my sister has been quarantined twice. My 89 year old dad and his 70 something wife both have had “it”. (KY)My SIL just got out of the hospital after about 10 days with dbl pneumonia and covid. She lives with her daughters family, and both her and her husband tested positive. (IN) Let’s see, my step daughter currently has “it” and is recovering, albeit slowly. (CO).

...all have had varying degrees of symptoms and all have had different symptoms... from respiratory, to aches chills, gastric, head aches, along with loss of taste/smell. My SIL has been the only one hospitalized

Too date all have recovered including my 89 year old father and his wife.

Anyway, I would never covid shame anyone, in addition to the family members that are front line workers, the others all have different occupations, some of which are semi laid off, including school teacher, national event coordinator, major construction, and of course my Dad, he’s in charge of rest and relaxation and listening to his wife babble.

Keep your heads down, stay away from folks, wear a mask, and hand sanitizer on everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Doc, how is your family?

3,000-4,000 are dying a day now and its just heartbreaking. Its a staggering number.
    ~Puma~

Dad discharged from hospital today. Doing well

Great to hear!
    ~Puma~

That is great news, Doc.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Great news Doc! God bless him.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Thumbs up!

As much as I respect this virus it doesn't scare me at all. All viruses that are that easily spread can be dealt with one way or another, but the panic is not neccesary. Most ondividuals don't realize that all these deaths are mainly due to wrong alimentation and diest. Is it a surprise that the US has the biggest deathtoll? I would argue not at all and the main reason that people don't use natural substances like red kratom that have proven to protect and heal our body from diseases.Again, is just our immune system and beat up bodies that need help to fight this one.
    Last edited by Mannzie; 01-16-2021 at 07:40 PM.

Rupp's Runt

Prayers offered up for ALL of your family Doc.
    I feel for everyone that has to deal with this.
    My partner at the Courthouse and his wife have had it.
    We all know people that have had it. And almost all of them survived this virus. We WILL get through this.

Fab Five

Just saw this thread. Hope everyone is recovering from Covid 19. My 2 yr old granddaughter had it and it was frustrating as she could not say exactly what was wrong. Fortunately everyone is now negative.

Had occasion to call a long time friend just after the New Year. He just retired as a department chair at WVU Hospital. We talked for a couple of hours. People who know me know I resist telephone conversations and I don’t talk on the phone for half an hour in a month’s time.

I asked for his thoughts on the relationship between blood types and this virus. He immediately became animated. He had been doing research on the topic. Long story short. There indeed appears to be a relationship between blood type and the severity and type of symptoms. People with A and B types seem to be at greater risk for complications associated with the virus. It has to do with the way the virus attaches to the chromosomes. There are are not enough data to form firm conclusions about the relationship between bllod type and the severity of symptoms, but there appears to be enough data to cause researchers to pursue studying the hypothesis.
    Real Fan since 1958

My mom, stepdad and my best friend/brother in law all received their first shot of the vaccine yesterday. It was a great day.
    ~Puma~

The mother of my daughters coach passed away at age 66 from complications related to covid. She had diabetes amongst other issues with blood pressure and such so once she got covid it wasnt a week or two before she was dead. I think in cases like this a lot of folks say well it wasnt covid that killed her it was the other things. I honestly believe thats true, she wasnt going to live a long life, but i do believe covid is taking a lot of folks early who may have had 5-10 years left on this earth.
    Go Cats!

Hope you recover well Doc. My whole family got it including my high risk wife but our worst symptoms were loss of smell for a few days and a headache. My 98 grandmother got it but was sick for just a day and is doing great.