Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How will things operate in the Senate when there is no majority

There is no majority leader right? The fake minority female does not step into that spot right? Do the 100 vote on someone to run the Senate?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: How will things operate in the Senate when there is no majority

The VP casts the deciding votes

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Chuck Schumer is the new majority leader. All of the committees will be chaired by Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    Chuck Schumer is the new majority leader. All of the committees will be chaired by Democrats.
    Correct. This is why who you caucus with as an independent has consequences.

Would you please splain that so I can understand?
    seeya
    dan

The new Senate has already begun, they start a couple of weeks before the presidential inauguration. Mitch is now minority leader.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Since there is an equal number from both sides of the aisle in the Senate how can a 50-50 split have a majority and a minority?
    seeya
    dan

As for whether there is a majority present or not, they don’t need a majority but merely a quorum (51). And they usually operate on far less than that being present unless someone objects.

I'll post a clip from NBC. To be clear to others, the extra content on relief or the like is not why I'm posting. Just for the explanation Dan asked for..

"The presumptive incoming Senate majority leader, Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., has promised "bold change" that begins with Covid-19 pandemic relief. He will soon seize control of the chamber from Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and have the power to decide what legislation and nominations are voted on.

But Schumer will be limited by a slim majority and a 60-vote threshold for most bills. He'll be able to bypass that under the budget process for some items, which will be the key to advancing major progressive legislation in a Democratic-controlled Washington.

With runoff wins in Georgia for Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff projected by NBC News, the Democratic caucus will number 50 senators, thanks to two independents, Bernie Sanders and Angus King who caucus with the Democrats. The party will control the chamber due to the tiebreaking vote of Vice President-elect Kamala Harris, a stunning twist of fate for Republicans who overperformed on Election Day and at first appeared set to hold the majority"

..NBC News

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Since there is an equal number from both sides of the aisle in the Senate how can a 50-50 split have a majority and a minority?
    In the event of ties, the Vice President also votes. For 12 more days that is still Mike Pence.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    As explained below, whoever was the VP would be the tie-breaking vote. So, that party becomes the "majority". And that gives them the majority leader and control of the committees and agendas.
    This happened after the 2000 election. And Republicans were the majority even though it was a 50-50 split because the VP was Cheney. A little bit later a Vermont Senator became an independent and caucused with Dems, so the majority leader changed mid-stream.

Fwiw, sounds like Murkowski will become an independent. If she does its expected she will caucus with the Dems and give them a 51-49 majority. That will not matter in votes (because she will vote how she wants) but it would matter in 2022 when Republicans try to take back majority.
    ~Puma~

For Republicans not paying attention to what happened in the Senate for the better part of the last 10 years and think that the filibuster will prevent Democrats from passing meaningful spending legislation will also need to understand that the Democrats will use the same rules as McConnell did to pass things under budget reconciliation.

Unlike 2009-10 where there was not a single issue (Obamacare) where the Democrats spent all of their political capital and got destroyed in the 2010 mid-terms, there is consensus between leaders in the Senate and the House to pass as much as they can to make life better for people that are struggling.

Get ready...

Elections have consequences.

Meaning I will have to pay higher taxes!

Unfortunately it’s currently a 50/50 tie which means the VP is the deciding vote. Sadly that means Willie Brown’s whore Kamala will be breaking that tie.

Not good at all!

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Meaning I will have to pay higher taxes!
    I would think there are worse things to worry about if you’re making over $400k.

I’m also way more worried about the horrible ROI on my tax dollars seeing how easy it is for terrorists to take over our Capitol. We all deserve a refund for the horrible security. We can spend that $700 billion much better.

I see you actually believe that higher taxes will only come into play for the 400k

I see you actually believe that higher taxes will only come into play for the 400k
    Why wouldn’t I?

Why would you believe otherwise?

The only reason why they would increase is because the paltry middle class tax cuts are set to expire, but those will be extended or made permanent.

Why wouldn’t I?

Why would you believe otherwise?

The only reason why they would increase is because the paltry middle class tax cuts are set to expire, but those will be extended or made permanent.
    So you believe Dementia Joe Biden when he says taxes only go up on those making over $400K. Of course I guess you believed him saying he wanted to unite the country and be president for all Americans yet he’s made it perfectly clear the last two days that what he truly thinks of the 75 million people who didn’t vote for him.

Keep eating that liberal bullshit. They’ll keep feeding it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKERCATFAN View Post
    So you believe Dementia Joe Biden when he says taxes only go up on those making over $400K. Of course I guess you believed him saying he wanted to unite the country and be president for all Americans yet he’s made it perfectly clear the last two days that what he truly thinks of the 75 million people who didn’t vote for him.

Keep eating that liberal bullshit. They’ll keep feeding it to you.
    Have you read Biden’s tax plan? If it’s “liberal bullshit”, then explain to me why it is and if you’re incapable of doing so, I’ll just chalk it up to right wing bullshit.

Have you read Biden’s tax plan? If it’s “liberal bullshit”, then explain to me why it is and if you’re incapable of doing so, I’ll just chalk it up to right wing bullshit.
    Chalk it up to whatever you want. Makes no difference to me. And yes I’ve read his plan.

You aren’t gonna change my mind about any Democrat politicians. They are all elitist scum as are many Republican leaders. If that makes me right wing crazy, so be it!

It’s funny you say that but everyone has stated taxes will increase under Biden not matter how you look at it, this was being said on election night.
    Will they I strongly believe they will but that is to be seen.

It’s funny you say that but everyone has stated taxes will increase under Biden not matter how you look at it, this was being said on election night.
    Will they I strongly believe they will but that is to be seen.
    Who is everybody? I’ve read his entire tax plan, have you? I welcome you to point out where it says in his plan where he plans to raise taxes on families making less than $400k.

That’s all that I am asking. If “everyone” is saying it, it should be easy to answer my questions.

If they own the apartment you rent, the business you frequent, you will pay it too, just indirectly.
    Who is everybody? I’ve read his entire tax plan, have you? I welcome you to point out where it says in his plan where he plans to raise taxes on families making less than $400k.

That’s all that I am asking. If “everyone” is saying it, it should be easy to answer my questions.

Removing the stepped up basis raises taxes on anyone who inherits any asset, no matter their income.

So their is one very easy answer.

Stu I have not read his plan entirely, I like most expect everyone’s taxes to go up. What exactly is his plan? Or where can I find a good summation of the plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    If they own the apartment you rent, the business you frequent, you will pay it too, just indirectly.
    Possibly, but that will be offset by the numerous other tax credits proposed. That’s how the tax system works when there is change.

EDIT: What do you think Trump’s tariffs did to our paltry tax cuts? Have you seen the numbers of farmers revenues lately?
    Last edited by StuBleedsBlue2; 01-09-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Well Stu is and has never been wrong in his life.
    Taxes will go up either directly or indirectly but the middle income will feel the pain.
    Biden wants to give money to everyone.
    Free healthcare, huge green deal.
    Those policies will raise taxes.

Well Stu is and has never been wrong in his life.
    Taxes will go up either directly or indirectly but the middle income will feel the pain.
    Biden wants to give money to everyone.
    Free healthcare, huge green deal.
    Those policies will raise taxes.
    I have been wrong plenty of times in my life, especially this week when I THOUGHT that people would finally accept what folks like me have been saying for years that Trump is an authoritarian that doesn’t care about Democracy and would burn our country down for his self interests.

I was wrong again (and so were so many that are posting here about the events of this week) that this is a small(er) segment of the Republican Party. I’ve seen people here say it as the insurgence is limited to 50 whack jobs. I KNOW the number is bigger than that. It’s definitely not 74 million, which Puma, I and others have been accused of saying.

New polling came out this morning that said 45% of identified Republicans support the insurrection on the Capitol. Let’s say there’s a 10% MOE. That means there are about 27 million + traitors living in this country.

While I laughed at the number of 50, I knew it wasn’t 74 million. Honestly, I thought it was closer to 3-4 million.

Man, was I wrong..

I see a theme for me today. I’m going to provide stories about what I have been wrong about.

One thing that I am NOT wrong about is Joe Biden’s tax plan.