Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon/Whiskey/Whisky thread!

Bombino

Bourbon/Whiskey/Whisky thread!

We had one on the Scout forum and it is time to revive it here.

Tonight o celebrate the wins (yes plural) I'm having some Willett Special Release Rye. Willett's top-tier stuff has become some of my favorite top shelf offerings. Creative, complex, and unique in flavor it isn't for everyone but I love that someone is actually being inventive in the bourbon space!

Also, if anyone wants good and relatively affordable Scotch, Kirkland often has 18-24 year aged Scotch for $60-80.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 01-02-2021 at 07:54 PM.

Rupp's Runt

Not a drinker but I'll probably have some questions.

But there is a new distillery in Kentucky. Located in Muhlenberg County at the old Graham high school. If anyone is interested here is there website. But note social media has better info.

http://thebarddistillery.com/

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Re: Bourbon/Whiskey/Whisky thread!

I have nothing new to report. Generally Blanton’s, some Weller, Woodford,’etc.

I can’t drink like I used to. Wish I had not wasted the good years on Jack Daniels and Crown.

I have 1/4th of a bottle of 12 year old small batch Elijah Craig that I have been looking at for the last 3 years so it is now 15 years old. Some mighty smooth tasty sipping bourbon.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I have 1/4th of a bottle of 12 year old small batch Elijah Craig that I have been looking at for the last 3 years so it is now 15 years old. Some mighty smooth tasty sipping bourbon.
    That older generation of EC12 is absolutely excellent! Too bad they diverted most of that line to support the EC18, the new EC12 isn't nearly as good.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    I have nothing new to report. Generally Blanton’s, some Weller, Woodford,’etc.
    If you can grab it, there is a VERY solid craft distiller near me called J. P. Trodden. They do some very solid bourbons (one of the few on the West Coast that seem to know the difference between bourbon and American whiskey). While they are also out of Woodinville, WA, don't get them confused with Woodinville Whiskey which is honestly better used to clean floors.

Good tip! Will look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    That older generation of EC12 is absolutely excellent! Too bad they diverted most of that line to support the EC18, the new EC12 isn't nearly as good.
    Yep, I made the mistake of buying a 5th of the new STUFF before I knew what they had done to that beautiful bourbon. I have not forgiven then for that.

I gave it to my niece who is a baker and uses a lot of bourbon in her cakes and icings. Hard to spot the crap in her creations.
    seeya
    dan

over Xmas we visited Angel's Envy distillery as well as the Prohibition one in Louisville. We enjoy distillery tours.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    over Xmas we visited Angel's Envy distillery as well as the Prohibition one in Louisville. We enjoy distillery tours.
    The wife and I really love distillery tours as well. My favorite Bourbon tours so far have been James E. Pepper (Lexington), Woodford Reserve (Versailes), and Willett (Bardstown).

The wife and I really love distillery tours as well. My favorite Bourbon tours so far have been James E. Pepper (Lexington), Woodford Reserve (Versailes), and Willett (Bardstown).

Buffalo Trace is a real nice one...one of the better.
    Last edited by Doc; 01-06-2021 at 06:08 PM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

I really like that old river road out of Frnkfort where woodford is. I want to bicycle it someday. That old abandon distillery is Stephen King material.

Any Scotch lovers here? I’m not, just wondering. I’ve never been able to develop a taste for it.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Was never able to develop a taste for the smoked peat.
    seeya
    dan

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Any Scotch lovers here? I’m not, just wondering. I’ve never been able to develop a taste for it.
    I like some scotches but the really smoky ones are still too much for me. Overall, I prefer the less smoky scotches.

We had one on the Scout forum and it is time to revive it here.

Tonight o celebrate the wins (yes plural) I'm having some Willett Special Release Rye. Willett's top-tier stuff has become some of my favorite top shelf offerings. Creative, complex, and unique in flavor it isn't for everyone but I love that someone is actually being inventive in the bourbon space!

Also, if anyone wants good and relatively affordable Scotch, Kirkland often has 18-24 year aged Scotch for $60-80.

I need to find some of the Kirkland Scotch. In VA the still have ABC stores but my condo in SC the Costco's have a liquor store. Can you tell me if the Costco Scotch is more peaty or more sweet? I am not a fan of the Lagavulin or Oban side of things but really enjoy a Macallan 15 sherry cask.

I generally love my bourbon the best. But for some reason, the past several years bourbon gives me really bad heartburn. Especially if I have more than one glass (and some of the UK games require more than one glass recently).

Started on the Macallan stuff and enjoy the sipping. IT is different at first but I remember struggling with bourbon sipping when I first started as well. I now enjoy sipping with one ice cube.

I wouldn't turn down Scotch but there's several other things I would rather drink with my limited drinking lol. Bourbon, tequila, heck even some Icelandic vodka straight out of the freezer.

I wouldn't turn down Scotch but there's several other things I would rather drink with my limited drinking lol. Bourbon, tequila, heck even some Icelandic vodka straight out of the freezer.
    I have never been able to gain a taste even for good tequila straigh. I do like a real margarita with a Cointreau Floater!

Vodka and I historically have not gotten along very well.... My wife has me trying some again post college but mostly in her Cosmo's which are sweet but tasty..

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    I need to find some of the Kirkland Scotch. In VA the still have ABC stores but my condo in SC the Costco's have a liquor store. Can you tell me if the Costco Scotch is more peaty or more sweet? I am not a fan of the Lagavulin or Oban side of things but really enjoy a Macallan 15 sherry cask.
    They are sherry finished and the three I have had are definitely to the richer sweeter side rather than the smokey side. To be honest, don't get mislead by the age statement, rather they are excellent quality for the price.

Over a year ago I started drinking bourbon to get away from the vodkas, I was turning Russian. Just hated the taste of vodka after a while, and only drank white liquors because I hate beer. Never had drank bourbon because the smell took me back to my childhood where my best friends parents owned Ron’s bourbon shop, before bourbon gained mass appeal. They had tons of Elvis figurines with bourbon in them, and being the curious kids we were it called our name one night. Mine ended up on the pavement three streets from our house. Fast forward 35 years and it’s all I drink when I drink. Started buying a different bottle every time just to try as many as I could. Found that I like the stuff that has a bite to it. I really like the knob creek 9 year 100 for my go to. I like the 120 too for a glass. I’ve probably tried 30 different bourbons now, I buy a bottle and go through the whole thing to get a feel for it. I oddly enough really liked the jeffersons ocean (sams sells it cheaper that other Stores). For a cheaper one with kick I like the old grandad 114. Weller special reserve is great, and Henry McKenna. Had some bulleit the other night and man I really like it, believe it’s the cheap one. Here’s one that’s amazing, Yellowstone. I got it while in Yellowstone and found a place that sold it and the guy said man that’s good stuff. It is.
    Go Cats!

If it gets much over 100 proof I have to leave it alone. I do like some of the ryes out there, they’re a little spicier but I can’t handle the heat

I found a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon Blenders Select today. Didnt purchase it but will go back and get it. Here's a review. Also Elmer t Lee is the best!

https://www.pastemagazine.com/drink/...eview-whiskey/
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

BTW, Weller 12 year old is one of the best Bourbons I have every had. Very difficult to find but man. I admit, it may be a bit sweeter than some of you guys like but if you can find it, grab it. Hell, let me know and I will buy it from you. simply cannot find it here in VA where I live.

Rupp's Runt

Currently soaking some wood chunks in bourbon. Going to see if it adds to the flavor of my smoked cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Currently soaking some wood chunks in bourbon. Going to see if it adds to the flavor of my smoked cheese.
    I wish I had a cold smoker. Have about a 10 year old Traegar Select but since it does not have a chimney smoke tube no way to cold smoke.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    I wish I had a cold smoker. Have about a 10 year old Traegar Select but since it does not have a chimney smoke tube no way to cold smoke.
    Bourbon changed the flavor. Can't say it improved the flavor.

Rupp's Runt

What is a bourbon that has a stronger caramel flavor? And what is one with a stronger vanilla flavor?

Decently priced.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    I really like that old river road out of Frnkfort where woodford is. I want to bicycle it someday. That old abandon distillery is Stephen King material.
    The old distillery on the road by the Kentucky River going south is Castle and Key. Going further south and across a few knobs and Knolls is Woodford Reserve. It is next to Ashford Stud Farm home of American Pharoah. In between along the river road is Stave’s. It is absolutely my favorite place to grab a bite to eat in all of Central Ky.
    Real Fan since 1958