Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: 2020 RIP-ers

2020 RIP-ers

Tradition is that on New Years I post those celebs who did not make it to Dec 31. This year I decided to do a ranking. I base this on magnitude of the loss and whether or not it was expected. For example a "10" is the unexpected loss of an icon. I can only think of 4 in the last few years. Princess Di, John Lennon, Micheal Jackson and JFK, so don't expect any 10's this year. I reserve the right to edit, move up and down..etc

Sean Connery-Might be a bit hi but Capt Remulus deserves a 7, and Bond kicks it up 2 notches.
    Kobe Bryant-Some will want a 10 but I'm not feeling it. I'm not a fan of rapists.
    Neil Peart-greatest drummer of all time!
    Qasem Soleimani-Thumbs up on this one

Ruth Bader Ginsberg-some will want here higher but not me. IMO she is the main driver of turning the SCOTUS into a POLITICAL arm.
    Eddie Van Halen-he would be higher were it not for the fact he had been battling cancer for years.

Kirk Douglas-the man with the iron jaw
    Chuck Yeagar-the man with the iron will
    Stirling Moss-some will think lower, others may not know who he is, but I loved the old racers
    Alex Trabek-another there could be disagreement with, but his protracted battle takes away the shock factor.
    John Lewis-I was not a Lewis fan but will give him his due here.
    Regis Philbin-he and Alex Trebek are the greatest hosts of all time. Even better then Bill Cullen and Wink Martindale

Diego Maradona-were we Argentinians this would be higher. He wasn't Pele
    Herman Cain-Think this is about right
    John Prine-was not a Prine fan but many are so he moved up a bit over most musicians
    Don Larsen-Perfect game...
    David Stern
    Don Schula

Dawn Wells-she will definitely be higher then Tina Louise
    Charlis Daniels
    Kenny Rogers-You will note lots of musicians here
    Little Richard-great voice and founding father of R and R
    Frankie Banali-he could play the drums like a mad man
    Jerry Stiller-I wasn't a fan but fathered Ben Stiller
    Brian Dennehy-was always the "other guy" in movies.
    James Lipton-great journalist, very refined
    David Owen Brooks :-) Mass Murder

Max von Sydow
    Orson Bean
    Phyllis George
    Carl Reiner
    Phil Neikro
    Rafer Johnson
    David Dinkins
    Joe Morgan
    Whitey Ford
    Bob Gibson
    Lou Brock
    Jay Johnstone
    Robert Conrad
    Buck Henry
    John Schlarman

Tarvaris Jackson
    Charlie Pride
    Kevin Green
    Tiny Lister
    Arnie Robinson
    Conchata Ferrell
    Tom Kennedy
    Johnny Nash
    Mac Davis
    Jay Johnstone
    Cliff Robinson
    Al Kaline
    Bill Withers
    Reni Santoni
    Kurt Thomas
    Fred Willard
    Chadwick Boseman
    Kelly Preston
    Olivia DE Havilland
    Lyle Waggoner
    Leslie West

Kamala
    Roy Horn
    Pierre Cardin
    David Lander aka Squigy
    Mary Higgins Clark
    Bonnie Pointer

Rocky Johnson
    Jackie Stallone
    Honor Blackman
    Steve Bing
    Roger Scruton
    Ernesto Cardenal
    Benjamin Keough (elvis grandson)
    Philip Warren Anderson
    Josie Harris
    Logan Williams
    Nick Cordero
    Rhonda Fleming
    Terry Jones
    Justin Townes Earle
    Grim Sleeper
    Hugh Downs
    Fred the Godson
    Tony Fernandez
    Jerry Jeff Walker

NOTE: I did not include George Floyd, Breanna Taylor etc for 2 reasons. 1) none were celeb or known prior to their deaths (IE, it was the death itself that garnered notority/celebrity. 2) don't want this to get "political"
    Last edited by Doc; 01-04-2021 at 06:25 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: 2020 RIP-ers

Dawn wells for me is at least a 9. First b/c Gilligan's ISland is one of those childhood touchstones, I've seen every episode many times (though not in many years), and second b/c it's Mary Ann, and I'm a girl next door kind of guy and she had it all going on. Easily my first boyhood star crush.

Also she was renowned for her graciousness to her fans and fans of the show, as Darrell mentioned on her thread. Sure it was a campy short lived and silly show, but it ended up being one of those shows in rerun that reached vast audiences, and though it typecast her she never was anything but kind about it.

Objectively let's say a 7.

Certainly RBG is a major death, a 10 in terms of impact and maybe a 20, I don't think you can overstate the implications whether you see them as good or bad. Second in terms of impact is Soleimani, and good riddance from me as well.

You have to have Sir Sean Connery at the top simply for his lifelong impact on film and male role models. I mean come on, this guy has been a defining male lead since the 1960s.

IMO you have Max Von Sydow too low. Though a mostly character actor, he was arguably one of the most respected actors in the world. He could have had a much bigger career but early on he avoided international roles. Given the just discussed Connery, he was actually offered the role of Dr. No and turned it down. Despite his own limitations on his career, he was highly respected throughout the industry and did have numerous nominations and awards.

Of course I have some bias, as he also was willing to take on roles in more campy movies and give them some depth, two of my favorites being Conan the Barbarian and Flash Gordon. He was also great in De Laurentis' Dune. While he got nominations for other films, I thought he was completely brilliant in "Victory" as the German officer.

I didn't know Jerry Jeff Walker had died. I'm not a huge fan but I am a passing fan. My ex BIL loves him, from Texas. I may cue him up tonight. I have his greatest hits compilation, and I do enjoy them from time to time. Shares some roots with Jimmy Buffet, in fact Walker is the one who first took Buffet to the Keys, so in that way he's partly responsible for the entire Parrot Head thing.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

On RBG, her long protacted illness made her death not a shocking experience like Di, Lennon, etc. That is my standard. Most list of "celebs that died in 2020" don't include her (which I found shocking...I had to add after copying 2 list). Still, I can see a 9.

As for Mary Ann...a side character on a low budget campy show that lasted just 3 seasons. I get the emotional attachment but as far as achievements, I can't put her ahead of Larsen, Cain, etc.

Probably have MvS low. Loved him in Flash Gordon. He did eventually make a bond villian though, as Blofeld in Never Say Never Again. Of course some small roles in one of the Star Wars and GoT
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

2020 RIP-ers

David Stern, Robert Conrad, Charlie Daniels, and Don Shula should be mentioned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 01-01-2021 at 11:42 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    David Stern, Robert Conrad, Charlie Daniels, and Don Shula should be mentioned...

Will add.....along with John Schlarman
    Last edited by Doc; 01-02-2021 at 09:33 AM.

2020 RIP-ers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Will add.....along woth John Schlarman
    Don’t forget Bilbo Baggins...

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

John Pine-was not a Pine fan but many are so he moved up a bit over most musicians
    Did you mean John Prine song writer and performer of "Paradise"?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Typo....fixed

Figured that was the case. I am a huge fan of that song.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I think the way you decide to rank musicians is to look at the impact they had on other musicians. In the case with Prine, he was the musicians' musician. All the good guitarists and vocalists wanted to be on stage with him. To me he stands out from other musicians.
    Real Fan since 1958