Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Colonel Sanders Died 40 Years Ago Today

Colonel Sanders Died 40 Years Ago Today

...just a news tidbit I stumbled over today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Colonel Sanders Died 40 Years Ago Today

When I was growing up, he lived right around the corner from me (in Hurstbourne). As a kid we would trick-or-treat as his house every year. He always dressed in his "colonel" outfit.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Ran into him in one of his stores. Used to be on old Preston Highway. I literally ran into him, looked up and saw him smiling down on me, he tousled my hair and went on his way...1965 or 1966 I believe...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Lived in Shelby Co. for many years, believe he died there.

I was a big fan of his growing up. Kentucky was not known for for much other than basketball and horses.
    The Colonel was right there with those for taking pride in our state.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

The house I live in was built somewhere between 100 and 120 years ago. The exact date of construction is hazy because it was damaged by a tornado in 1917. Back then the reconstruction date of 1920 was listed on the deed for whatever reason...

...anyway, we were told that Colonel Sanders lived in a house down the street, it was said that the property was unkept,they also had chickens and goats, and it stunk. I think he actually lived there as a teen with a family member after his father died.... so the story goes.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

When I lived in Oldham Co. we would drive over to the Colonel’s Lady Restaurant in Simpsonville. The Colonel would eat all of his evening meals there. We would take our Out of town visitors and almost all were amazed to learn he was a real person. He couldn’t have been nicer.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    When I lived in Oldham Co. we would drive over to the Colonel’s Lady Restaurant in Simpsonville. The Colonel would eat all of his evening meals there. We would take our Out of town visitors and almost all were amazed to learn he was a real person. He couldn’t have been nicer.
    Its were we had our wedding rehearsal dinner
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Met him at the restaurant when I was a kid. He autographed a photo for me. Yes he was exceptionally nice to people.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I spent some time with Joe B at Claudia Sanders not too long ago... Lunch with Joe B as we refer to it now.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I spent some time with Joe B at Claudia Sanders not too long ago... Lunch with Joe B as we refer to it now.

OT, but it reminds me of going to things like a luncheon with Shaquille O'Neal as a guest speaker. I always tell people "I had lunch with Shaq last week," when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    OT, but it reminds me of going to things like a luncheon with Shaquille O'Neal as a guest speaker. I always tell people "I had lunch with Shaq last week," when that happens.
    I’m sure I’ve told the story on the boards at least 63 times... but Joe B was at the table next to ours, and after I acknowledged him with some mindless “hey coach, go big blue” or something, he got up and came over to our table, and we chatted for a second, I offered him to have a seat, which he said something like “if you don’t mind” (like, yeah Joe we mind) we chatted for 20-30 minutes.