Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a Youtube Eric Clapton Anthology

Re: Building a Youtube Eric Clapton Anthology

Cream, Rock and Roll's first Super Group Jack Bruce On Bass, Ginger Baker on the drums, and Clapton on Lead Guitar

Sunshine of Your Love
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

A bit of an odd paring...Clapton and Luciano Pavarotti

Holy Mother

Clapton, Knopfler, Sting. Collins (Modern Million dollar band)

Money for Nothing

Clapton, Stones, John Lee Hooker

Clapton is giving guitar lessons to Ronnie and Keith while they are trying to figure out how to use one of the 4 chords they know to play along on Boogie Chillun

Little Red Rooster & Boogie Chillun

Slowhand at 70

Somebody's Knockin
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 05-21-2023 at 08:28 PM.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Well if we are talkin Duane, "somebody Loan me a dime" off Boz Scaggs first album. Sugar Sugar off that same Wilson Pickett. Well heck the gems off that first duane allman anthology. His work on the Layla sessions, etc, was Duane's finest hour
    Those Duane Allman anthologies are musical gold.

Musically, I’m a big Clapton fan and love his musical journeys. As a human being, he’s pretty vile, but I don’t hold that against him.

A few years back, I went deep into the YouTube vault digging up the old Delaney and Bonnie and that stuff is just so awesome.

Obviously, my favorite Clapton era is D&B, Blind Faith, and D&D.

I’ll check out the links everyone has shared and I know that I’ll have some awesome ones to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    His friendship with George Harrison was unique and resulted in some of his best work: his solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "Badge" and of course, "Layla," which was inspired by his then-unrequited love for Patti Harrison.
    Between Layla and Something, which Frank Sinatra refers to as the greatest love song ever written, that woman sure inspired greatness.

It didn’t end with those songs either, Bell Bottom Blues, Wonderful Tonight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnbPUKsORfc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIzOxTCOc_0

Just watched this YouTube video yesterday, which was a nice refresher of Patti’s influence on 2 historical music legends.

https://youtu.be/pW9gU8ud17Y
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 05-25-2023 at 06:46 PM.

Some of my favorites:

Blind Faith in Hyde Park, 1969
    https://youtu.be/F7ADa0l9k0A

Delaney & Bonnie, Copenhagen, 1969
    https://youtu.be/y4DbsNsK3jY

Roger Waters Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking w/Clapton 1984
    https://youtu.be/hbL_oVb9zQE

And, just recently (last night), Clapton hosting a Jeff Beck tribute at Royal Albert Hall, but this is more about the “next generation”
    https://youtu.be/gCbjnBE6b1M

Thanks. I had not seen a couple of those. I have decided to forget about his time with Delaney and Bonnie. I just can not get into their music.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Thanks. I had not seen a couple of those. I have decided to forget about his time with Delaney and Bonnie. I just can not get into their music.
    I had brushed D&B aside for the longest time, but about 10 years or so, I gave it another go and realized how significant that period was to so much music we all know and love.

Besides basically being the birth of Derek & the Dominoes, it guided George Harrison on his post-Beatles path, launched Dave Mason on to his solo career, and really just took the whole supergroup to a new level. Plus, the core of the band became Clapton’s early backing band as a solo artist. His first solo album, which is a classic, is basically Clapton leading D&B.

D&B and Friends, Mad Dog & Englishmen, and later the return of Bob Dylan & the Band that spurred the Rolling Thunder Revue, and eventually closing out that era and the supergroup concept with The Last Waltz is perhaps my favorite era of all time.

I live in a very musical rich area in Northern Virginia, and the DMV, and every so often there’s an event that brings 100 or so of us together, about 30-40 legitimate musicians, and another 20 or so people that can contribute and we recreate that vibe. Last week was one of those events and it was spectacular. I very much appreciate the seeds that D&B planted in all of us to make things like that possible. They were certainly pioneers.

Yes music is incredibly subjective and no way I ever second guess that this side of those obnoxious Swiftys.

D&B essentially did Clapton’s first album (twice.) Delaney taught Jerry Garcia “Going down the road feeling bad” on the Festival Express. I like Bonnie’s late albums and that video of her singing on Rosanne, as the waitress in that irregular role. So I’m gonna hang in there.

Superstar" is a 1969 song written by Bonnie Bramlett and Leon Russell with a songwriting credit also given to Delaney Bramlett[1] that has been a hit for many artists in different genres and interpretations in the years since; the best-known versions are by the Carpenters in 1971, and by Luther Vandross in 1983.

I'm actually much less knowledgeable on the contributions of song writing of D&B than I am for the impact they had on so many careers. I need to take a deeper dive.

On a slightly different topic, but also a one-time player with D&B, a few months back when Jim Gordon passed away, a friend of mine passed a playlist on to me. It's been a huge hit and people are shocked to know that one drummer played on all of these great songs. If people don't know Jim Gordon's story, it's quite fascinating.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3Z...tufKYt2kgNwNHV

Am I to assume that Jim Gordon played Drum on all of those 128+ songs? I am agog that I have never heard of him and had no clue he was the drummer on all those songs. I pulled a few of them up on YouTube and concentrated on the drum work. Without further study, I can say he is very good and improves the song with his work. Thanks for sharing that bit of info. It will give me something to do to see if I can find all the songs somewhere other than spotify.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 05-26-2023 at 06:38 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I don't know if this song list matches the one previously shared, but this Wiki list tells me I have listened to at least 50% of the songs not knowing who the drummer was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Gordon_(musician)
    seeya
    dan

Am I to assume that Jim Gordon played Drum on all of those 128+ songs? I am agog that I have never heard of him and had no clue he was the drummer on all those songs. I pulled a few of them up on YouTube and concentrated on the drum work. Without further study, I can say he is very good and improves the song with his work. Thanks for sharing that bit of info. It will give me something to do to see if I can find all the songs somewhere other than spotify.
    Yes one of my favorite rock drummers except you know for beating women and killing his Mother after drugs drove him insane.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Yes one of my favorite rock drummers except you know for beating women and killing his Mother after drugs drove him insane.
    I mentioned that he had an interesting story if anyone didn't know about him.

Technically, the state of California did not find him insane, just acute schizophrenia, but it's definitely a possibility he went all "Syd Barrett" and the drugs did their work. Whatever the case, it's a tragic story all around.

Yep, he did play on all those songs. Quite the career indeed. I'm trying to see if there is a playlist out there for a couple of other session drummers with a list that extensive, and probably more, Aynsley Dunbar and Jim Keltner. Steve Gadd, another longtime touring drummer for Clapton should have a pretty nice list too.

I have enjoyed this discussion. Jim Gordon! I have put some stuff up about him over the years on my facebook page. Like, did he write the Layla coda, or did his girlfriend, Rita Coolidge? (Whew!)

A rock death recently was Pete Brown, a poet who wrote Sunshine of Your Love, White Room, I Feel Free, Theme for an Imaginary Western, years of great work for Cream and Jack Bruce. He has an obit in the New York Times.

There is this thing we used to do, chasing the next record, at the cut out bins, and in the record store, following the strings between bands, chasing down the next discovery. Pete Brown, Jim Gordon, they were not Eric Clapton or Steve Winwood or the guys in the Byrds or Buffalo Springfield, but we followed those obscure guys to find the next big thing.

Leslie West’s Theme has Theme For an Imaginary Western, and of course his band played it too, along with Mississippi Queen you know what I mean? Theme is on youtube.

seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

Thorntree in the Garden (Derek and the Dominos)
    seeya
    dan

Those Clapto/Winwood at MsG lips are on youtube

We saw him a few months back at the Hard Rock in Ft Lauderdale. He has aged and lost a step or two, but still pretty damn good
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Everyone but me may have already seen the series of YourTube interviews that CoCo Carmel. Bobby Whitlock's wife, does with him at their home. I am not sure I have seen them all, but the ones I have seen have been fascinating. Whitlock is a real hoot, and a very unique person, and all of the stuff he shares about his time with Clapton, Harrison, Delaney and Bonnie, Derek and the Dominos, his session work on the keyboards, is all very interesting to hear.

If yo9u want to see some the interviews, then check this link as a starting point and subscribe to the first one and YouTube will continue to bring you new ones until there are none that you haven't seen..

Bobby Whitlock
    seeya
    dan

I believe that some of the first few minute will make you laugh. Whitlock is a true hoot. He lived the life of a true rock and roll star and is not hesitant to tell all kinds of stories about him and the people he worked and played with.

His first trip to California. Thorn Tree in the Garden
    seeya
    dan

Bobby and Coco

Keep on Growing
    seeya
    dan

Easy Now

Clapton, Whitlock, Randle, and Gordon. Beautiful song that has a huge quantity of George Harrison in it. The vocal harmonics are outstanding.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 07-04-2023 at 08:42 AM.
    seeya
    dan

BBC interview with Clapton where he opens up about Patti, drugs, alcohol, Cream, Derek and the Dominos, his music, etc

56 minutes of more than many want to know about EC
    seeya
    dan

New discovery, Dominos plus Rene Armando on vocals, unpublished "Devil Road"

Linkage
    seeya
    dan

If you hear Bobby's story about his first time on snow skies in Colorado, and you don't laugh, then laughing is not part of your make up. It is 4 minutes of hilarity.

Linkage
    seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan