Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: 2 sports greats born today

2 sports greats born today

Johnny Bench, 12/7/47 in Binger, OK;

Larry Bird, 12/7/56, grew up in French Lick, IN.

I started paying attention to MLB in 1970. I would've been a Reds fan anyway because they were the MLB team that was closest to where I lived. But that was when the Big Red Machine was taking off, so it was fun to follow them. I took up Little League around that time and was a catcher, so, again, I would've been a Bench fan, anyway. But he was so athletic and dominant at his position that he was like a superhero to me. My Dad taught me to watch everything he did behind the plate--the way he held the glove, how he positioned himself with runners on base, his footwork when making a throw, how he blocked the plate. it all had a purpose to it, and if I wanted to get better it would be good to learn from the best. He was the best--and even though I'm biased, I'm not alone in thinking he was the GOAT catcher.

Bird was arguably the greatest trash-talker ever and did some crazy stuff, like getting a triple-double playing a game (mostly) left-handed vs Portland because he was saving his right hand for the Lakers. Check out some YouTube videos of the stuff he did and the respect other players had for his game. An artist.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 12-07-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: 2 sports greats born today

My favorite in-person sports fan moment was being in the red seats at Riverfront Stadium when he Johnny hit his final home run on Johnny Bench night. I was just 10 years old and as soon as that ball cleared the fence, I wanted to go to the Reds gift shop because they sold home run balls and I wanted to buy that one

I still watch a clip of that play on Youtube from time to time, and with it including Joe Nuxhall's call - "get out of here baseball!" I even sometimes tear up. It's just a special, special memory to me

As for the other guy, I always have and always will prefer Magic Johnson.

Re: 2 sports greats born today

To me when Bird retired the NBA took a huge nose dive to stinksville!
    Huge Bird fan and the Celtics.
    80’s NBA was the best.