Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasons I hate Xmas

Reasons I hate Xmas

Top has to be the horrid cheesy music. Sitting here drinking my AM coffee and we got The 12 Days of Christmas followed by Have a Holly Jolly Christmas. Now both will be in my head all day. At least it wasn't The Little Drummer Boy...a rump a tum tum.....
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: Reasons I hate Xmas

Next would be getting a gift from somebody you didnt get a gift for. This happens sort of every year. My wife gets me something and then I have to make up an excuse...like I ordered on line and its not here.....
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Fruit cake.

...Actually, I like fruit cake, if it's done right. Scratch that.

Hallmark movies. Mrs. BEvans wants to watch all the new ones, and even the old ones that she likes. "Honey, let me help you out--it looks like they don't like each other at first, but at the end they get together."
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Reasons I hate Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Top has to be the horrid cheesy music. Sitting here drinking my AM coffee and we got The 12 Days of Christmas followed by Have a Holly Jolly Christmas. Now both will be in my head all day. At least it wasn't The Little Drummer Boy...a rump a tum tum.....
    Maybe you could loop a horse with no name and listen to that until Christmas season is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Traffic doubles from normal.

Rupp's Runt

The music....Christmas music may be why I turned off the radio years and have never really turned it back on.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Fruit cake.

...Actually, I like fruit cake, if it's done right. Scratch that.

Hallmark movies. Mrs. BEvans wants to watch all the new ones, and even the old ones that she likes. "Honey, let me help you out--it looks like they don't like each other at first, but at the end they get together."
    One of them is almost always a single parent, and there is usually a quaint small town with perpetual snow involved.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    The music....Christmas music may be why I turned off the radio years and have never really turned it back on.
    The worst is Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.

Fab Five

It is not my favorite holiday. How do you stop the rampant gift giving? I frequently make excuses to extricate myself from any event where there is even a hint of gift giving. I abhor it.

I enjoy Christmas Eve Mass and Christmas dinner. And I do enjoy meeting friends I see but once a year. But, aside from that Christmas can’t end soon enough. Humbug!
    Real Fan since 1958

Grand kids and their gift unwrapping expressions are well worth any of the other small aggravations for me.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I hate the gifting...my wife texted me an Amazon link for what I need to buy her for Christmas because it was on sale. Really? Just buy it. Let’s cancel gifts for a lifetime all we do is buy stuff all day. Or let’s get someone that needs something a gift.
    Go Cats!

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    I hate the gifting...my wife texted me an Amazon link for what I need to buy her for Christmas because it was on sale. Really? Just buy it. Let’s cancel gifts for a lifetime all we do is buy stuff all day. Or let’s get someone that needs something a gift.
    I am with youBro!
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    The worst is Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.
    My daughter’s Girl Scout troop sang that song at the nursing home every year. Now I do like the Pitino got run over by a Wildcat. Yes sir! I like that one!
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

One of them is almost always a single parent, and there is usually a quaint small town with perpetual snow involved.
    But some have Candace Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Grand kids and their gift unwrapping expressions are well worth any of the other small aggravations for me.
    Same with the Greats, brother Dan.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Rupp's Runt

The girls are 4 and 6. They love the lights and decoration part. Not that big on Santa and we do not push that. But we have tried to be more festive with them this year. That has been pretty fun. I'm actually trying to figure out a way to get several Christmas trees with lights in the backyard for next year. A cheap way lol

Reasons I like Christmas...
    Eggnog and bourbon
    changing my signature to change our luck.

But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid! For behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the city of David a Savior has been born to you. He is Christ the Lord! And this will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.”…

Likewise, this is the most joyful time of the year for me. And it has been since I was a little boy. I actually celebrate the greatest gift ever given, and the gift that is given to every man and woman on the face of the earth. I don't know what calendar day my Lord was really born on, but if folks wanted it to be that night on the 24th and day the 25th I will always join in.

I still feel the same warm feeling of excitement and wonder I had as a small child when I look into the eyes of grand children as I did with my children.
    It is a family tradition to celebrate the season to it's fullest and I enjoy every Christmas song, every light, every trek to the tree farms, every trip to light shows for miles around, manger scenes at several churches within driving distance, and every smile just a little bit more throughout December.

i decorate our modest home with an accumulation of lights and displays and keep the sights and sounds of Christmas in full bloom until Christmas Day has come and gone.

I honestly believe if you asked my kids, grandkids and everyone that knows me one day what they remember most about Paw Paw, they will be somewhat reminded of Dicken's words. My intent has always been that it goes like this..

Paw Paw (Daddy and Dave) loved God and knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man possessed the knowledge.

SEMR3797_Moment.jpg

“Men’s courses will foreshadow certain ends, to which, if persevered in, they must lead,” said Scrooge. “But if the courses be departed from, the ends will change. Say it is thus with what you show me!”
    Last edited by kingcat; 12-03-2020 at 08:03 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I despise shopping crowds. And I mean despise. Then you have the associated traffic.

I despise shopping crowds. And I mean despise. Then you have the associated traffic.
    Can relate to that. I despise shopping period really.
    I am more designed for online sales.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

We buy for the grandkids, but don’t do adult gift exchanges. I told my adult kids I would prefer they spend the money on the little ones.

We buy for the grandkids, but don’t do adult gift exchanges. I told my adult kids I would prefer they spend the money on the little ones.
    Same here pretty much.

The bulk of our Christmas shopping the last few years has consisted of me picking out gifts for the grandkids on the web, getting my wife to ok the choices. We’ve done the site to store shipping, makes returns easier, and I have her go pick the stuff up when it arrives.

Hate most of those things. Here's what I do:

1) the only xmas music I listen to are parody songs.

2) I cut out gifts long ago, other than for kids. Growing up my mom and I would go to about 6 family xmas dinners over the holiday, with gifts at every one. Trunk loads. it was silly. I just refuse. Don't get me anything, I have everything I want and if I want it I'll go get it.

I will buy things for people, esp. my mom or girl, but I don't time that around XMas. If I see something they like or they tell me they like something, then I get it for them. Don't care what time of year.

3) I absolutely despise most shopping, so I hardly ever do any in a store with a crowd, and I certainly don't go at Xmas. I'll do it when I'm absolutely out of something, or if I need to get something for someone, but I time it as much as possible to avoid crowds.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

FWIW, for songs I recommend:

Cheech & Chong's "Santa Claus and His Old Lady"
    Bob & Doug McKenzie "Twelve Days of Christmas"
    Mr. Garrison of South Park: "Merry F***ing Christmas"
    Bob Rivers "I Am Santa Claus" (Set to "I am Ironman")
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Christmas is okay, but grandpa died on Christmas Day last year, so I don’t look forward to it this year and don’t know how it will be in the future

I hate going somewhere and physically shopping for a gift during Christmas. I only go into stores early in the morning or late at night. In fact, I try to avoid the roads around shopping centers because traffic's going to be hell.

A long time ago I read that the Bush family gave each other 1 gift for Christmas, and it was usually something like a sweater or scarf. I thought "How cheap!" But now I get it--to me, Christmas is about the season and not gifts (unless you have little ones you can give to--that's the best).
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I even hate shopping on line because all I see is it lining Jeff Bazo's pockets.

Reasons I hate Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    FWIW, for songs I recommend:

Cheech & Chong's "Santa Claus and His Old Lady"
    Bob & Doug McKenzie "Twelve Days of Christmas"
    Mr. Garrison of South Park: "Merry F***ing Christmas"
    Bob Rivers "I Am Santa Claus" (Set to "I am Ironman")
    FWIW I stumbled over a radio station while driving through Lexington a couple of weeks ago. I think it was 105.5 all Christmas music, all the time... year around Christmas music channel. WTH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Christmas is okay, but grandpa died on Christmas Day last year, so I don’t look forward to it this year and don’t know how it will be in the future
    Sorry to hear that, Flounder.
    Time will help heal, but the pain of loss will always be around and sting a little bit.
    I'll bet your Grandpa wouldn't want you to be sad on Christmas.
    God Bless you and yours...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.