Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Cheap Milk against the Law?

Cheap Milk against the Law?

Weird law. I wonder if car dealers can sell a new car at factory invoice prices in LA?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/27...est=latestnews
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: Cheap Milk against the Law?

Hard to imagine that possibly being a loss leader resulting in a monopoly, which is the only real justification I can see for such a statute.

Can't have those nasty free markets running around loose benefiting consumers.

Unforgettable

Wonder if they ever investigate Walmart

Just to take a differing point of view....

Isn't milk one of the many agriculture products that is government subsidizes? If so then I guess I can justify it not being a "loss leader" product since the government is helping to make it profitable. That in and of itself sort of negates the "free market" aspect. Of course I'm one who believes that the subsidization of any agriculture isn't the purpose of the gov't. I'd rather pay more than have the gov't prop up certain markets.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Doc I am not arguing your point but aren't the auto industries supported by the government with subsidies as well? They have trade barriers in place that help them make a profit plus tax incentives for building new facilities in the US.
    seeya
    dan

Yes but the gov't bail out was a one time thing. I'm wondering that if this is a government subsidized commodity, that is the reasoning behind the restriction on selling it for below shipping and invoice costs.

I think decades ago the agriculture subsidies were warranted but like any entitlement, once there you can't rescind it.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

seeya
    dan

Farm subsidies are so messed up. I hate them all. The milk thing - there are two things at work, one is a modern subsidy bill that keeps prices DOWN because it prevents an old subsidy bill, from the 1940s, from being used to calculate the pay per price of milk. Just go back and read about the "milk cliff" that was a part of the fiscal cliff we had to deal with at the first of the year. It's confusing and stupid.
    Last edited by BigBlueBrock; 02-25-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    This is unbelievably stupid. Venison is good meat, it is much better for people than is beef.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    This is unbelievably stupid. Venison is good meat, it is much better for people than is beef.
    And it all went through a legally regulated and approved processor. it's not like people were hauling in road kill directly to the kitchen. They weren't going to ship rancid meat and I have no idea what deer could have that is more risk than antibiotic laden beef from essentially the same fields.

Given how convoluted and nonsensical legislation can be, it's absolutely untelling what it is about venison that makes it "impermissible" to serve to the homeless. There's probably some statute about health department inspections of it... who knows. It's stupid, whatever the reason is.

Unforgettable

[
    Won't happen here in miss unless the liberals take over the state gov and that won't happen any time soon. Bet the law gets changed in La. Or some politicians will not have their cushy jobs long as that is a huge sportsman state.

QUOTE=dan_bgblue;59687]No Deer Meat for the Homeless in LA[/QUOTE]

Jazy, i can't imagine that law survives long and/or some heads don't roll if it's a matter of interpretation. Doing it anywhere in the south is a bad idea, but Louisiana? They make most other places look like PETA havens.

How do we know this was a "liberal" law? Could very well have been "conservative" lawmakers trying to protect the beef industry.