Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biden Names John Kerry Climate Envoy

Biden Names John Kerry Climate Envoy

Obama's author of the Paris accord is back for another shot at economic destruction

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...climate-envoy/
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: Biden Names John Kerry Climate Envoy

Makes China and India happy.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

seeya
    dan

This is actually pretty scary stuff.
    https://apple.news/ALBGoouegR5CARwYPFT5rhg

Ok let’s cut population back to the late 1800’s and we could control it a bit.
    But I really think eliminating cows is the first order by this group.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    It's also extremely political. IPCC and the UN have a huge vested interest in scaring people with climate change, especially the US.

that's not to say there isn't climate change, or that there is, just that it's extremely dangerous to take a knowingly heavily biased and political source as reliable evidence of anything.

It's equivalent to accepting WHO's conclusions on the origin of Covid, or, to use a more liberally disturbing example, accepting the NRA's statements on gun violence at face value. The UNC and IPCC are just as biased and self motivated as any conservative group a liberal may dislike, like the NRA.

Outside of repressive regimes like China or North Korea or Iran there may not be a more unreliable and biased and corrupt entity than the UN. I would look at the underlying work, and even then given the way research funding works it would pay to examine the epidemiology closely.

To be clear I have no doubt we are polluting our planet, but it's not clear which one will get us.

The biggest problem with climate change is that the US cannot act unilaterally to solve it, and the rest of the world lacks the will to impose the necessary restrictions on China, India and others. Without that whatever we do is basically useless. We will make ourselves a 2nd rate power and economy for nothing.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 08-11-2021 at 01:08 PM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

“marshalling the work of hundreds of experts and peer-review studies. It represents the world’s full knowledge to date of the physical basis of climate change…”

Sounds to me like if you can’t trust these people who can you trust? These are the experts.

Have you heard of Michael Mann? He was considered a well educated expert and was well trusted at one time.

The Hockey Stick
    seeya
    dan

I remember Manfred Mann, Blinded by the Light lol. Here’s the guy you’re talking about though, from an actual scientific source….

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...gular-message/
    changing my signature to change our luck.

This game has been played for a long, long time……
    This article was written in the early 1990s
    https://apnews.com/article/bd45c372c...964ea547880cd0

My word, you do not trust the Grand Island Independent as a reliable source of info?

I also notice that the Scientific American document is not a peer reviewed paper. I do respect that website as a source of info though.
    seeya
    dan

Dan, I didn’t even notice the Grand Island part lol. Where is that?

I don’t know about you guys but I don’t want to be part of the generation that goes down in history as having had a chance to act to mitigate climate change but didn’t do anything until it was too late. Future generations (hopefully to include some of my dna) would never forgive us.

At the very bottom of the webpage.
    seeya
    dan

The last climate/natural resourse scare I put any faith in was the oil shortage back in the 70's....when we had 20 years of gas left.

The one thing I got from our trip last week was the incredible vastness of this planet and how little the human population is. I now look at humans effect as the earth has VAST AND NEARLY endless surpluses. Does not mean we should be wreckless and wasteful but the concept that we are near the end is laughable
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Very well said Doc.
    seeya
    dan

“marshalling the work of hundreds of experts and peer-review studies. It represents the world’s full knowledge to date of the physical basis of climate change…”

Sounds to me like if you can’t trust these people who can you trust? These are the experts.
    You think a statement like that means you can trust people?

I have this bridge I think you need to invest in.....

Are you saying the UN doesn't have a political agenda? They are the ones compiling this research, and conveniently funding a lot of it too.

Your position is the same as someone defending the Tobacco Institute in the 1970s. It was a research entity with PhDs and everything, and they cranked out study after study showing smoking wasn't really that bad for you and there was no link to this or that cancer.

Of course it was funded by the tobacco companies, but we know that no researcher or PhD would ever color their work to get funded. Oh no.

The point isn't whether there is climate change, but how much, caused by what, and most important what policy actions do we take from it.

That last part is where the scare has to get ginned up, in order to get people to agree to things they would otherwise never support.

That last part is where the scare has to get ginned up, in order to get people to agree to things they would otherwise never support.
    Covid 19, mortality numbers, ICU numbers, CDC research, expert opinions. Garnered a lot of support for the vaccines. I am not saying the research is/was correct, but there is s huge difference of opinion among our population.
    seeya
    dan

The whole anti-science pickle we’re in now with vaccinations started with big oil’s climate denial. It’s trickled down to anything and everything involving science because they couldn’t very well stop at climate change; they had to discredit all scientific expertise. They’re the ones with an actual vested interest, not some imagined agenda from the UN. But I’ll leave you guys to your echo chamber. I’ve got to look at cooler places to retire. It’s 9:00 and the heat index in Louisville is still 96.

When I was 10 years old we lived in the country and had never heard of air conditioning. We had 1 window fan. I worked in tobacco fields, at 10 with a hoe in my hand, in the summer and today would have been a typical summer day.
    seeya
    dan

It’s all what you want to believe with the actual truth being hidden.
    Global warming has been going on for a million years.

The whole anti-science pickle we’re in now with vaccinations started with big oil’s climate denial. It’s trickled down to anything and everything involving science because they couldn’t very well stop at climate change; they had to discredit all scientific expertise. They’re the ones with an actual vested interest, not some imagined agenda from the UN. But I’ll leave you guys to your echo chamber. I’ve got to look at cooler places to retire. It’s 9:00 and the heat index in Louisville is still 96.
    It started LONG before that, and it started with government.

Among African Americans it started with at least the Tuskeegee Experiments.

For anti-vaccination it began with the first vaccination, smallpox. IN England in the early 1800s anti-vaccination leagues formed even then, afraid of the vaccine.

So it goes back at least 200 years, which of course is the history of vaccinations themselves.

For the current crisis it is a culmination of lie upon lie by our government, including the lies even during Covid. Fauci and the Surgeon General told "lies of morality" when they said we didn't need masks b/c they were afraid we would run out. They didn't just say "yes masks may help but we don't have enough."

Then when Trump was in office Kamala Harris, and Cuomo and others sowed doubt on it.

This has nothing to do with "climate denial", a phrase which in itself is a linguistic trick of totalitarianism. The Left is expert at using language to frame anyone who disagrees with them as racist, sexist, dumb, or otherwise ill motivated. It can't be an honest disagreement based on a fair interpretation of the evidence.

And this is not an echo chamber, which again is just an insult to our intelligence, subtly dismissing a perspective you don't like by attacking the messengers.

Here's a link to the smallpox anti-vac movement, which should in and of itself disprove your hypothesis:

https://ftp.historyofvaccines.org/in...tion-movements

Anti-vaccination and distrust of authority, medicine, government is about as old as human civilization. It was going to be hard to sell to about half of the population regardless of the details, and when it got wrapped up in our current political divide it got a lot harder.

Also, last note, you'll notice none of this discussion DENIED anything. The point is to simply not accept this report as fact.

In the end the issue is making policy, and you can't make good policy on poor conclusions. Even accepting we face a climate problem does not mean we should accept the timelines, projections, or ignore the simple issue of solvency. that is to say if we do X, does it change anything?

It would be scary if any of their projections actually came to pass. So far the IPCC has missed on every single climate prediction they have ever made.

Why do we still have sea ice in the Arctic?

The climate politicians, because they aren’t scientists, have given various dates that have already passed, like this one: https://news.mongabay.com/2009/08/su...rctic-by-2015/

It is an uncomfortable and avoided truth that in the current interglacial period, the Holocene epoch, temperatures remain below the Holocene Optimum.

Let’s not forget about the great sea level scam. There used to be interactive maps that showed US coastal cities flooded by 2020. They had to pull all of them for obvious reasons, namely that they were incorrect.

Have you noticed all the money in the US budget for sea walls to protect cities from these impending floods? You won’t have noticed because it isn’t budgeted, and sea walls aren’t being constructed. Why do you think those preparations aren’t being made for those areas?

Obama was so worried about sea rise that he purchased a coastal estate after he left the White House.

Recent summers are so warm that none of them can crack to top ten warmest months for Lexington. In fact there are just two months in this century that cracked the top ten list, which includes a total of 18 months.

DD53E854-189C-4A29-8201-5648E24B3102.jpg

In an interglacial period the expectation is for temperatures to increase. Part of that increase is going to be due to human activity. Those increases have not been nearly as extreme as expected, and the correlation between CO2 and temperatures is not nearly as strong as any of the climate models were designed to account for.
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 08-12-2021 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    When I was 10 years old we lived in the country and had never heard of air conditioning. We had 1 window fan. I worked in tobacco fields, at 10 with a hoe in my hand, in the summer and today would have been a typical summer day.
    We had an exhaust fan in a utility room window and a big round floor fan in the living room. Sometimes I wonder whatever happened to that thing. Dad must have pitched it when he finally got central air after most of us kids were grown and gone.

Our window fan, located in the dining room window, was reversible and at night when the temp would drop into the 70s Mom or Dad would switch it to exhaust and open the bedroom windows about an inch to create a nice stiff breeze that blew across the beds. With the sweat evaporating it felt like they had turned on an air conditioner, and that feeling generally lasted long enough to fall asleep.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Our window fan, located in the dining room window, was reversible and at night when the temp would drop into the 70s Mom or Dad would switch it to exhaust and open the bedroom windows about an inch to create a nice stiff breeze that blew across the beds. With the sweat evaporating it felt like they had turned on an air conditioner, and that feeling generally lasted long enough to fall asleep.
    I remember nights growing up that it was so hot that you couldn’t sleep. There were always some of those each summer. Before AC was prevalent most people looked for shady areas outside to stay cooler, especially in the evenings after working in the heat. It’s all in what people become accustomed to.

Climate change is another major money maker. Follow the money. As always. In this case it is an attempt to shift wealth from some countries to another.

Is climate changing. Yep. Has been since the last mini ice age.

The loons you are relying upon have not hit one target or date they have talked about since they started running their mouths in the 1970's. Not one. go look. They have not been right even 1 single time. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Climate change is another major money maker. Follow the money. As always. In this case it is an attempt to shift wealth from some countries to another.

Is climate changing. Yep. Has been since the last mini ice age.

The loons you are relying upon have not hit one target or date they have talked about since they started running their mouths in the 1970's. Not one. go look. They have not been right even 1 single time. Ever.
    Follow the money is a universal truth in today’s “science.” There is big money available for researchers as long as their research indicates that earth is on the precipice of disaster. The amount of data skewing in climate science is startling. Even raw data is skewed due to placement of weather monitoring equipment. https://thenewamerican.com/study-sho...ad-monitoring/

On the flip side any study that doesn’t instill panic is suppressed, many studies that should be included in peer reviewed journals get yanked over the screeching of climate panic propagators. Furthermore, studies that do not promote panic receive very little, if any, funding.

When the body of evidence becomes overwhelming—and sorry, but it is—scientific theory becomes accepted fact. Sure there’s a possibility it could still be wrong, but there’s also the possibility—a much greater one per decades of research—that the climate denial side (sorry, I don’t know what to call it) is wrong. One of these possibilities ends in worldwide catastrophe; the other forces us to replace fossil fuels a little sooner than we inevitably will have to anyway. The better course of action scientifically, ethically, philosophically, and morally is to act now. That’s all I’m going to say about it.

When the body of evidence becomes overwhelming—and sorry, but it is—scientific theory becomes accepted fact. Sure there’s a possibility it could still be wrong, but there’s also the possibility—a much greater one per decades of research—that the climate denial side (sorry, I don’t know what to call it) is wrong. One of these possibilities ends in worldwide catastrophe; the other forces us to replace fossil fuels a little sooner than we inevitably will have to anyway. The better course of action scientifically, ethically, philosophically, and morally is to act now. That’s all I’m going to say about it.

Feel free to throw away your money.

Or we can look at their prior predictions of doom and expect different results....oh yeah, that is insanity.

IT is 100% about money. Who gets rich and who doesn't. PERIOD.

And you are wrong. It is a theory. Not proven and as shown in plenty of the data above, not supported by the preponderance of the evidence.

And there are other options than your two. Accept that the world is heating and there is very little we humans can do about it. It heats and cools all the time. Just over time frames we humans are too short lived to appreciate the cycle. And there is no money to be made in those term of cycles.

The amount of data skewing in climate science is startling. Even raw data is skewed due to placement of weather monitoring equipment. https://thenewamerican.com/study-sho...ad-monitoring/
    In the case of Bowling Green, it is not even the placement of the automatic weather monitoring station placement as the weather station is where it has always been which 40 years ago was out in the country at the small county airport. It is still there, but the Bowling Green heat island has grown around the monitoring station.

My daughter bought a house within a mile of the BG airport about 8 years ago. My wife and I live in the country about 6 miles outside the BG heat island. When visiting our daughter I would notice that the temperature would always be 3 to 4 degrees warmer at her house than it was at our house in the country. This did not vary for temps in the winter or summer.

Bowling Green installed a new weather station about 3 years ago, outside the heat island, that they plugged into the WKU statewide Mesonet. One can monitor the temperature differences between the 2 stations but they still use the readings from the station at the airport, which NOAA considers to be the official station, to gather official local temp data. This is truly man made warmer temps, but only for a very small area around Bowling Green
    seeya
    dan