Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How hard is it to uninstall a dishwasher?

Ordered a dishwasher from Costco and they do installation, but they ask that the customer uninstall the existing dishwasher for haul-away.

Dumbing this down so even I can understand, is this something I can do? Or should I call the man to do this for me as well?

My WAG is that you unscrew a couple of screws, and hopefully slide it out. I guess there's some hard-wiring and must be some water source. I'm starting to worry myself as I think through this...

Re: How hard is it to uninstall a dishwasher?

2 water lines have to be disconnected from back of unit, one is the inlet line (this one needs to be shut off before disconnecting) the other line is the drain line. There will be a 3 wire electrical connection that needs to be disconnected (must disconnect from fuse or breaker panel or remove fuse of flip breaker before tackling this one. There will be a few screws attaching it to surrounding hunks of wood, and these will need to be removed before attempting to remove the unit.

That is pretty much it. Call the MAN
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I delivered and installed appliances for Lowe’s for about 8 months once and dishwashers are the worst. It’s usually nasty under there and you have to be a contortionist to disconnect everything and then and reconnect it. Probably why they stopped doing it.

Run as much water out as you can before you start.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Call the MAN
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    It’s usually nasty under there and you have to be a contortionist to disconnect everything and then and reconnect it.
    I think I've heard enough. Thanks; made this an easy call.

Only slightly more difficult than intalling. So much depends on how it was intalled though. Some are simple plugs while othere are hardwired. Also depends on the length of the water lines.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I think I've heard enough. Thanks; made this an easy call.
    Any "handy man" can do
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Only slightly more difficult than intalling. So much depends on how it was intalled though. Some are simple plugs while othere are hardwired. Also depends on the length of the water lines.
    And another vote for "Call the man."

2 water lines have to be disconnected from back of unit, one is the inlet line (this one needs to be shut off before disconnecting) the other line is the drain line. There will be a 3 wire electrical connection that needs to be disconnected (must disconnect from fuse or breaker panel or remove fuse of flip breaker before tackling this one. There will be a few screws attaching it to surrounding hunks of wood, and these will need to be removed before attempting to remove the unit.

That is pretty much it. Call the MAN
    Changed a couple, and Dan's spot on.

Earliest model had wires under the front edge and had to lay on the floor and remove a kick panel for access. The replacement was much more simple as I recall.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Any "handy man" can do
    Fortunately, I found a guy I really like for this kind of stuff. I needed to have some stair bannisters/railings removed to get a too large refrigerator on a 2nd floor (don't ask). The guy I had do it before said he was retired from doing that kind of work (he did it on the side).

Somebody recommended the "Koala Man" to do it. I called the man, and he did it quickly, and for about 1/2 the price the first guy charged me to do it.

I have a ton of things at my house that need doing, so it's just a question of parceling them out from time to time.

My contactor is a do anything guy so I know what you mean. He will do small jobs such as replacing a bar top (including going down to Miami to pick it up...was a picked of aged redwood that would not fit in our jeep) to redoing an entire house.

We actually asked him to do the walkthru on our daughters new home as they were building (one of these cookie cutter developments where you pick model A, B or C) to be sure build was up to snuff....then fix the cheap stuff they put in like removeing the plastic "tile" around tubs, install a fence around uard, etc
    Last edited by Doc; 11-27-2020 at 09:43 AM.

Took out our antique model and put in a new Bosch super-duper quiet model.
    Removal was less then 45 minutes and the install process on the newer one took even less time.

If you do not have the time or in the least way feel uncomfortable, call the man.

You are dealing with electrical AND plumbing; one missed fitting can create a mess or set your tail to humming...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

They usually just have two screws right above the door that anchor them to the cabinet. When you take them out it should slide out to disconnect power and the water lines.

Get a nice braided supply line to go with the new dishwasher. They are well worth the few extra dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    They usually just have two screws right above the door that anchor them to the cabinet. When you take them out it should slide out to disconnect power and the water lines.

Get a nice braided supply line to go with the new dishwasher. They are well worth the few extra dollars.
    Amen!
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

We replaced our dishwasher not long ago. I don’t recall the particulars of whether the place we bought it from took out the old and replaced the new one, or we paid to have it done.

I do remember pulling a “Marlin Perkins” on the whole deal, and while the guy wrestled the old unit and installed the new unit I watched from a safe distance. I also recall thinking I was glad I had it done, while the guy made it look easy there were a few things that I’m sure I would have screwed it up and turned an hour job in to an all day three trips to Ace day.

Call the man...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Well honestly I am remodeling my kitchen and just removed my dishwasher, was very easy.
    Will let you know on the install.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Well honestly I am remodeling my kitchen and just removed my dishwasher, was very easy.
    Will let you know on the install.
    Did the cabinetry survive unscathed?
    seeya
    dan

Not it’s all destroyed! Have a bare kitchen!

Gotcha. That would make the uninstall go quite easy.
    seeya
    dan

Grammy wants to do that in the next year or two...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Grammy wants to do that in the next year or two...
    Tell her that is a no go until the dishwasher goes kaputt.
    seeya
    dan

It's usually not hard, but the catch is as mentioned above having enough hoses etc. to connect it without being Mr. Fantastic (made of rubber).

As for getting the old one out that's easy enough. Turn off your water, pull really hard.

seriously it's not a big deal but I turn most of that over to "my guy" when I can now just b/c of time. I don't have 3-4 hours to go down a rabbit hole, and he can do it in 1-2.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Anymore I'd prefer to have things like this done.

But back in the day, Donna loved to see me bent over working to save us money. I think my youngest was indirectly the result of a fried water heater.
    I guess that's understandable..

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Tell her that is a no go until the dishwasher goes kaputt.
    I would like to do the guest bathroom next. Not a remodel but a redo. I like the layout, just don't like the fixtures, flooring or paint.
    Oh, and I may suggest that to Grammy, but that is not how Cliffco works, and she is the current CEO, COO, and Prime Minister of Finance.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Anymore I'd prefer to have things like this done.

But back in the day, Donna loved to see me bent over working to save us money. I think my youngest was indirectly the result of a fried water heater.
    I guess that's understandable..

That’s one way to keep a co worker from asking to borrow your tools...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Wife convinced me to try.

A few words my mama told me never to say later, some frustration because I can never find the right tools, and a little trepidation about whether I was using the voltage tester thing right, and it has been removed. Would take a normal person 15 minutes to do. Took me 90. For me, 6x is a good ratio.

Well, apparently there was some screw up on when the dishwasher was supposed to be delivered. So we had to wait from Friday until today for it to be delivered.

I guess I did not remember the last time, but they actually have one truck that delivers, and then they send out the installers. The delivery people indicated that the installers would be out later today. What do you think the odds are on them not showing up today?

I actually have a couple things I have to get done today, but if I get those done and have not heard from the installers, I'm tempted… Now, where is that screw extraction kit?

Good Luck to you sir, and my money is on you being able to do this, without a screw extractor.

As cool as the weather is, you will probable have to choke the chain saw to get it started. Once you have it running good, you can make quick work of both the stair railing and the dishwasher removal.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Well, apparently there was some screw up on when the dishwasher was supposed to be delivered. So we had to wait from Friday until today for it to be delivered.

I guess I did not remember the last time, but they actually have one truck that delivers, and then they send out the installers. The delivery people indicated that the installers would be out later today. What do you think the odds are on them not showing up today?

I actually have a couple things I have to get done today, but if I get those done and have not heard from the installers, I'm tempted… Now, where is that screw extraction kit?
    I win!

The plumbing company called after the delivery people delivered. They said that they had it down on their records for the delivery to be on the 16th. When I told him it was delivered today, they expressed shock, and said the best they could do was come out Friday. They are currently in the reconsideration phase.