Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Whose batting style did you imitate as a kid growing up?

Whose batting style did you imitate as a kid growing up?

We all had our favorite players, right?

Lot of Reds fans on the board, a few Cardinals fans, and some other miscellaneous team fans. Whose batting style did you imitate when you were in your backyard ballgames?

Re: Whose batting style did you imitate as a kid growing up?

Right Handed - Pete Rose
    Left Handed - Mickey Mantle

Can't say it was imitating them, it was the way I batted.
    Took Sr. and Uncle Joe Bischoff a ton of time to take that long stride out of my stance from the left. Halfway to first base on the first step...
    I remember a ton of Joe Morgan's when I was playing Little League...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

I tried to imitate Clemente, because he could make contact with any pitch. The pitcher could bounce a slider to the plate and Clemente could hit it into a single to right field. I saw him hit a pitch that was not over 6 inches off the ground over the center field wall at the old Cardinals stadium.

Incredible batsman.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

This is probably going to make you wonder about me, but my guy was Vic Davalillo.

I was nothing like him. Played 3B, more your barrel chested, strong-armed, good fielding, right-handed hitting infielder with wheels stuck on blocks. But I loved the guy. Little left-handed hitting pinch hitter (played OF), but it seemed he batted about .600 pinch hitting, he did so well. Slap hitting son of a gun, but could get a double or triple hitting into the gaps and using his speed. Just a fun guy to root for. And I loved his name...."Vic....Dav-a-li-llo!"

Stupid kid. I should've been emulating Joe Torre.

Joe Morgan when goofing around but wanted to be Johnny Bench.

It was usually Perez or Bench. I liked Morgan and Willie Stargell's, but they were lefties and I hit right-handed. (It didn't feel right to do them right-handed, so I'd only do them batting left and I was terrible at it.)
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

All the coolest batting stances and styles seem to be left handed hitters...

Not sure about batting “style”but Lou Brock was my favorite player in my little league days. When every body wanted to pitch or play first base, or shortstop, I volunteered for left field... plus I’m left handed.

Obviously Brock is known for stealing bases, his hitting was kind of overlooked...but he had to get on base first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Griffey Jr

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Not sure about batting “style”but Lou Brock was my favorite player in my little league days. When every body wanted to pitch or play first base, or shortstop, I volunteered for left field... plus I’m left handed.

Obviously Brock is known for stealing bases, his hitting was kind of overlooked...but he had to get on base first.

Lou Brock was a great hitter. He was definitely one of my favorite players. One of my great memories growing up was going to Atlanta and watching the Cardinals play a four-game series and watching him steal bases in route to his 118 stolen base season. I don't have his statistics in front of me , but he was a very good hitter.

Actually my batting stance was copied later in life by Craig Counsell. The original was more a mixture of Greg's swing and that of Old Ben Kanobi..

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Actually the first and only batter I recall trying to impersonate was Johnny Bench, after he won Rookie of the Year. He was my favorite player.

My Grandfather was a huge Reds fan and up until the late sixties I don't believe I knew much about any other team except as a Reds opponent. I knew and liked watching Roberto Clemente play and Dodger greats Koufax and Drysdale pitch.

Speaking of Drysdale..six consecutive shutouts and ​58 ⁄3 consecutive scoreless innings. A pretty impressive pitcher no?
    Last edited by kingcat; 12-08-2020 at 08:34 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Lou Brock was a great hitter. He was definitely one of my favorite players. One of my great memories growing up was going to Atlanta and watching the Cardinals play a four-game series and watching him steal bases in route to his 118 stolen base season. I don't have his statistics in front of me , but he was a very good hitter.
    I was lucky back then as well. We lived in Paducah at the time, my Dad took me to several games in St Louis, Busch Memorial Stadium through the late 60’s. It didn’t suck watching Bob Gibson pitch either.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Huge pirate fan since the we are family 1979 World Series winners.
    So mine was pops Willie Stargell!

Fab Five

"The Mick"
    Real Fan since 1958

It didn’t suck watching Bob Gibson pitch either.
    Mom and Dad took us to a few Cardinal games back in the mid to late 60s as well, and they always managed to pick a home weekend when he would be on the mound. I loved watching him pitch. His wind up,, delivery of a fastball, and not being able to see the ball between his hand and home plate, but hearing it POP into the mitt was a sight to see for a young teenage boy. Led me to being a high school catcher.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

When I was a kid, I was all about the Cardinals....and at that time Joe Torre was the 3B at the time and I mimicked him in my little league at bats lol

My fathers. I know he sure smack the crap out of a ball! (Pun intended)
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Never really imitated anyone in real baseball, but always liked doing the mark McGwire bar waggle when messing around in bp.
    Go Cats!

Love the old school pirate uniforms.

Those hats!