Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Honoring all our Veterans today

Honoring all our Veterans today

Especially my father, Richard Cartwright, a true patriot who departed this earth on July 4, 2018.

Dad served in the Navy during the Korean War.

Thanks to all Veterans for your service, both past and present.

Re: Honoring all our Veterans today

My thanks to the father of our friend for his service. And to all our veterans.

God bless them all.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

My Dad served in WWII in the Pacific theater. Later this morning I’m going to post a couple of excerpts he reluctantly wrote in a letter to one of his nieces in response to her collecting some memoirs from relatives. It’s fascinating stuff, at least to me.

Another pic of some of the Hickman, Kentucky veterans. My Dad is holding the small child. It's a buddy of his' son, but I don't remember which one.

I've been doing genealogical research for many years. As far as I can tell, I'm the first in my direct line of Evanses ever to serve in the military. Going back almost 300 years, I've yet to find any evidence that any of my direct Evans ancestors ever served in the military. Even if they were of draft age in WWII, WWI, Civil War, etc.: nothing. Maybe that was their key to longevity--assiduously avoiding wars whenever possible.

I have many other ancestors who served. The one who always gets me when I think of it is one of my great-great grandfathers, James Flaugher. According to his widow's pension application, he was home on leave in Carter County when he was captured by Confederate guerrillas in 1864. Apparently he was sent back through enemy lines to Richmond and eventually sent to a Confederate prison in Salisbury, NC where he died of disease. Points out how Kentucky, like many states, was in a state of war even in places where there were no large armies. He possibly (probably) would have survived if he'd stayed with his unit and not gone home on leave.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19