Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Microphones for computer use...questions

Microphones for computer use...questions

Non-musical use. Solely for use in making videos for YouTube (mostly for classroom usage, some for business), use with Zoom videoconference calls, and finally, for voice dictation with Dragon Professional.

I have these options:

1. Logitech wired headset with boom microphone. From my limited perspective, it worked extremely well, but I did not like the look for videos. I also use a green screen and it works very well with a virtual background, but the boom microphone sometimes "disappears" when I turn to share my screen or something. For voice dictation, it worked well.

2. Samsung earbuds with microphone, also wired. Similar quality, which I think sounds good. Prefer the look; it isn't overwhelming, and the wires do not disappear using a virtual background. For voice dictation, works as well as the Logitech wired headset.

3. Wired lavalier microphone. Again, similar sound. It MAY be a little better at screening out background noises. I do a lot of my video recording in a room where you can hear other things, like a television in the background, although it rarely picks that up even with the others. But you can sometimes hear background noises with the others not as well as this one.

Problem with using this is that if I'm on a call, I do not hear the other side through earphones, but use the computer's speakers instead, which I do not like. So right now I'm using this only for creating videos (it looks the best; I don't have things hanging out of my ears, etc.)

4. Dictation microphone made by Olympus. I don't have this yet, but will probably pick one up to try for dictation purposes.

https://www.olympusamericaprodictati...ecmic-dr-2300/

Something like that. It has been replaced, but I'll probably get a second-hand one for a lot less.

It is touted as a very low-noise microphone, works extremely well with Dragon Professional for dictation. My question here is....could I click it "on" (record), put it in a microphone stand, and use it for videos?

I don't have this yet, but if I could use it in a microphone stand for videos with better quality than choices 2 or 3, I'd love it.

5. Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam. I think it sounds really good for what it is, but my least favorite to use for microphone unless I have others in my office that need to be on the same call. It's a nice fall-back.

My Current Plan:

For Zoom videoconferences: use # 2 (with # 1 as a fallback). If it's a conference where I'm doing a virtual estate planning execution of documents with witnesses, etc., I may go to # 5 (unless # 4 would work better).

For preparing videos, use # 3 (unless # 4 would work better).

For voice dictation, use # 4. My preference will be to use it with a microphone stand even though that's not how it is designed.

Sheesh. Does any of this make sense?

I intended to ask one question -- do you think # 4 could be used as a microphone for preparing videos (basically, in lieu of a Blue Yeti or something). So really, if you make it this far and got lost in the weeds, if you have any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate it/

Re: Microphones for computer use...questions

I have a panasonic headset, and the boom mic is a thin one that is not distracting at all. It works great for the application you are talking about.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

At a reasonable price point wouldn't an omnidirectional earset mic work better? I have no idea other than what I have read. An overhead boom and a good shotgun mic would likely sound the best or a combination of a decent boom mic and a lav, if you can balance the two. But this seems less obtrusive to me.. (there are better ones Im sure but Samson is pretty good stuff for the price.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...469b975dbb2109

As for a field recorder (for dictation or whatever) with great mics (4 for 360 degree work and 5.1 surround capable), Threaded mount for a VR camera or or simple stereo Zoom has been the most popular. They also have less elaborate field recorders which all work great for dictation or any other use.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_851H3V...-VR-Handy.html

These are pretty high quality mics and mic preamps by the way. I think much, much better than the Olympus. Even the cheaper models. To answer your question, I have my doubts the olympus mic will work for that.

It appears more a close proximity type with a limited dynamic range to suit the Dragon software. Probably very good at blocking out all noise from more than a few feet away. Thus the limited frequency response. 300~10,000Hz and the " ideal for the busy office setting" sensitivity.
    Last edited by kingcat; 11-07-2020 at 10:52 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Well, in reverse order...

I have two Olympus dictaphones...acquired from previous law firms. They play very well with the dictation software, have slide switches for one handed operation (without looking, record, reverse, play, stop), docking station, etc. So portable field recording is covered.

I'll edit thoughts about the other in a few....

On the desktop question...

I do like the idea of a thin arm for a boom mike headset like Dan has and you suggested. That's a reasonable price point, if it is excellent sound. I may go back to that. (I don't think I want omnidirectional, though. Just want it to pick up right in front of me, no other areas).

But I know the Olympus wired remote plays well with Dragon Nuance. They have a 6-star rating on how well it picks up for dictation purposes, and it is a perfect six star rating. (Dictaphones also with 6 star rating). So that's why I am wondering if that can be a standalone desktop mike for Zoom calls, too.

Distance would be the only concern although it does have two sensitivity settings. One setting is definitely for very close proximity since they mention dictation in a crowded office.

As far as omnidirectional pattern, that would allow you to place the mic at any position relative to the mouth with a similar result. Omnidirectional versions are most common in speaking applications where feedback issues aren't likely. Even in the most expensive mics for worship, lectures, etc...

A shotgun microphone pointed directly at a stationary speaker during a lecture is a common example of a unidirectional microphone. And applications where you are very near students or other sound sources, unidirectional mics are desired.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

I think I'm even more confused now lol. I really thought I wanted a unidirectional, or cardioid mike. It will be used solely while sitting at my desk. The most movement I'll have is moving my head a few degrees to see one monitor over another. Mouth moves maybe 2 inches, if that.

I think I'm in that paralysis by analysis stage.

I'll delete this post later him, but just to give you an idea of what I'm working with, here are some videos with equipment I'm already using. I am not the best with this, so I'd appreciate you telling me what you think on how it looks, and how it sounds. I'll give my off-the-cuff thoughts, too.

This is the Logitech boom microphone....disappearing with the virtual background. The background may be worse here for that, but it's always disappearing like this, although I think (for me) it sounds fine. For me, Sound = A, Looks = D.

Here is one with my Samsung earbuds. My internet upload speed wasn't the best that day, but it was ok. If you'll notice, the earbud wire on the left side as you see it disappears, but I don't find it distracting as I do the Logitech. For me, Sound = B+, Looks = B. (By the way, I did that one with 10 minutes preparation...a Notary Group with about 600 members asked about this specifically, so I told them to give me half an hour and I'd have something on YouTube for them covering it. Fortunately, I had some material available to cut and paste for the PowerPoint slides, and winged everything.

Now...go to the 1:20ish mark...and you'll hear a cell phone ring in an adjacent room, and even a voice answering the call. This is what I want to avoid with a unidirectional microphone not picking up things like this.

Here's one I did with a lavalier microphone. It disappears on my coat (actually, I think the camera cut off where it is clipped), so the looks are good. I find the sound similar (different, but similar quality) to the Samsung earbuds. I think this one Sound = B, Looks = A. Currently this is my "go-to" for videos I use. I thought the sound was as good or better than the Samsung earbuds, but now I'm not so sure.

Here's the final one. This is a professionally done video (it was a rough draft before it was polished), completed for another firm. I don't find the sound much better than anything. It was using a big boom microphone like you see on TV and such. I don't know the exact equipment.

Last edited by Darrell KSR; 11-08-2020 at 01:37 PM.

I vote for #3 for various reasons. 1 and 2 have the disappearing headphone equipment due to the background usage. Sound in #1 is best of all, but sound in #3 is not aggravating at all, and the video content of #3 is worth the positive vote.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I sort of agree with Dan although I wouldn't be ashamed of any of the three.
    If one is being pickytwo is a little midrange heavy while one has a lot on the top end. Three is smoother and more balanced.

My mic motto is, when/of you buy, buy used if you can imho. Mics are usually well cared for and last forever. Windscreens should be replaced often.

Usable low end seems key to me in podcasting and what you do. Personally, a Shure SM7B can make you sound like a star in any field as it can take any voice and make it demand a listen. Just cant beat a great studio mic. (Although for voice, "Thriller" was MJ's mic on that album. 399 bucks!) And about any will hold their value for eternity if you spend the bucks. But you already sound top shelf D imo. This type mic is not going to pic up over four feet away.

I used a cheaper (relatively) chinese model mic for my CD made by sE Electronics. It actually rivaled the sound of $1,000 mics for less than half the cost.

They also have a nice mic on this list of the best, that works for every application with adjustable polar patterns.

However I'd advise checking out the Sampson at the top of the page for a desktop mic. Probably more cost efficient. Keep in mind that background noise is often reflected sound which a sensitive mic will pick up no matter where it is facing. In my recordings I had trouble with train noise (from two miles away) and that sound was omnidirectional reflecting off of each surface in the studio. Even though somewhat treated. So any mic not specifically designed for noise rejection would pick that up.

Some info from the site I linked..

"To keep it simple, there are two main factors that a microphone needs to reject a noisy background"

Dynamic microphones are much better at reducing background noise than condenser mics.

Hypercardioid and supercardioid Microphones are better at reducing background noise due to the capsules smaller range of picking up audio. Hypercardioid is better than supercardiod.
    ..but, they do not pick up full range over a distance beyond a few feet.

All that said for the boom or camera mount a shotgun mic would probably be most practical imo. And you can get that bugger completely out of the picture.

So, the final kingcat recommendation for upping the audio quality at a reasonable price point is, wait for it...

https://youtu.be/6A_AO0n0KRE

Last edited by kingcat; 11-08-2020 at 08:16 PM.

You guys are the best. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Rupp's Runt

https://www.bluemic.com/

People speak highly of these. I have a snowball mic, but I've never heard myself on it

Sorry for all the editing I did to that post. I kept adding bits and pieces as I shopped for you.

The last thing was pointing out that the Shure SM7B although for voice overs or Dj use and others, is great for vocals. On the album "Thriller" the SM7B was MJ's mic on that album. 399 bucks as compared to his choice of 5 to 10,000 dollar microphones. The thing just makes people listen.
    Last edited by kingcat; 11-08-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    https://www.bluemic.com/

People speak highly of these. I have a snowball mic, but I've never heard myself on it
    The Yetis are very popular. The Spark would be a nice choice too

Continued thanks. All have helped.