Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Tacos....

Tacos....

Have any of you experienced true Mexican tacos? We have a large farm working migrant population not far from where my wife and I live. We visited restaurant that many of that population frequent. Gotta say, I’m amazed.
    I’m also amazed at how Americanized we have made tacos here in the US.

My random ramble for the morning.....lol

Re: Tacos....

Love tacos. Don't know if you've ever checked out Rick Bayless' YouTube channel, but he has a regular Taco Tuesday segment where he makes fairly authentic Mexican tacos. I think I'm going to get into some of that this winter.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...tuxnTaXCcqfLQF
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 11-06-2020 at 08:35 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

Dated a girl from Southern California. They lived in an area that was probably 75% Mexican. They cooked some really good Mexican food. Some I loved, some I liked the American version better. Hard to get some of the brands and ingredients around here that she wanted.

"True" Mexican supposedly varies from area to area as they make use of what they have in that region.

Authentic tacos are soft; the hard shell is an American invention. I like both lol.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Or as the folks we dined with called them, “Gringo Tacos” lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Authentic tacos are soft; the hard shell is an American invention. I like both lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    Or as the folks we dined with called them, “Gringo Tacos” lol
    Authentic Mexican wasn't unhealthy enough, layered with carbs and cooked with lard, so we had to find a way to fry some more of it and make it more American.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    Have any of you experienced true Mexican tacos? We have a large farm working migrant population not far from where my wife and I live. We visited restaurant that many of that population frequent. Gotta say, I’m amazed.
    I’m also amazed at how Americanized we have made tacos here in the US.

My random ramble for the morning.....lol
    Heck yes! It is one of the biggest things I have missed about having left San Diego, a nice adobada or al pastor taco. The other major thing I miss from San Diego is carne asada fries. I finally found a couple of reasonable quality places here but most places are flaming garbage. They actually have a place up here that makes Taco Bell look good.

That being said, there is actually a DAMN good real taco place in Lexington: Tortilleria Y Taqueria Ramirez. It is pretty much everything you expect out of an authentic ethnic restaurant (not fancy, not in the best part of town, not the cleanest place, crazy delicious food, etc.) The wife and I have gone there pretty much every time we visit Lexington. It is amusing to watch people buying tortillas from there in massive 1ft+ tall stacks.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 11-06-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Pedro, just curious, since my Spanish is so bad, how is their English?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I had an al pastor taco last night. Never had a taco with pineapple and pork bits in it prior to that. I also had what they called a taco de papa....a potato taco. It was fabulous.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Heck yes! It is one of the biggest things I have missed about having left San Diego, a nice adobada or al pastor taco. The other major thing I miss from San Diego is carne asada fries. I finally found a couple of reasonable quality places here but most places are flaming garbage. They actually have a place up here that makes Taco Bell look good.

That being said, there is actually a DAMN good real taco place in Lexington: Tortilleria Y Taqueria Ramirez. It is pretty much everything you expect out of an authentic ethnic restaurant (not fancy, not in the best part of town, not the cleanest place, crazy delicious food, etc.) The wife and I have gone there pretty much every time we visit Lexington. It is amusing to watch people buying tortillas from there in massive 1ft+ tall stacks.
    Last edited by Catonahottinroof; 11-07-2020 at 05:59 AM.

Tacos....

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Duolingo.

I took 3 years of high school Spanish and 12 hours of college Spanish and I think the Duolingo app is better. Of course, I'm only in my 3rd month of using it, and I probably already knew most of what I have learn so far.

But I like that it only takes me 10 minutes a day. And that if I have extra time I can go back to a previous lesson and work on practice.

Or...

My son worked 2 years at Greystone Country Club here in the food and beverage area while he was going to college, almost full-time. One day his phone rang while he was at the house and he picked up the phone and had a 10 minute long phone conversation where he spoke nothing but Spanish. When he got off the phone, he said it was a co-worker, and that that's all they spoke at work. I commended him for his fluency, and he laughed and said they make fun of him for how bad his Spanish is.

So maybe you should get a part-time job working at the Taco restaurant.

Bombino

Tacos....

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I've never had an issue while there. The customer facing staff speak English well enough to do their job. Last time we were there the son of one of the owners took our order. He speaks English with no accent but can frame switch into perfect Spanish at the drop of a hat.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

We have a pretty significant hispanic population here in my little town in VA. We have 2 very good restaurants. The Beef Tounge )Pastor?) is really good.