Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Excellent three part YouTube series on the Battle of Midway

Bombino

Excellent three part YouTube series on the Battle of Midway

This series is absolutely excellent, telling the story of the Battle of Midway in a very unique way. This channel focuses on military history from a military theory perspective. This means instead of focusing on just telling the sequence of actions there is a strong focus on decisions made, how external factors influence individual decisions, the anticipated goals, reasons behind actions, the interconnectedness of actions/decisions, resource allocation, and how "the fog of war" can play such an important role in outcomes.

This series is no different but also tries to keep the "fog of war" for the viewer as decisions are made to better frame how the battles evolved and why decisions were made as they were.

The Battle of Midway 1942: Told From the Japanese Perspective (1/3)

The Battle of Midway 1942: Hiryu's Revenge (2/3)

The Battle of Midway: The American Perspective and The Strategic Consequences of the Battle (3/3)

If you like these, check out his other videos on WWII:

Attack on Pearl Harbor 1941 This video serves as a sort of Part 0 to the three part Midway series. It can make sense to watch this before the Midway series if you really enjoy history. It is also IMHO one of the BEST videos on the Attack at Pearl Harbor. It breaks the attack down into the individual waves, how the attacks evolved on an almost torpedo by torpedo level of detail.

The Battle of the Coral Sea 1942: The First Aircraft Carrier Battle in History

Battle of Savo Island 1942: America's Worst Naval Defeat
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 10-01-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Re: Excellent three part YouTube series on the Battle of Midway

Thanks for the tip!

I've been watching a lot of YouTube lately. There's some good history stuff on there. I even found the old World At War series, which I highly recommend if you haven't seen it yet.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Excellent three part YouTube series on the Battle of Midway

I will mark this thread for future reference. Sounds very interesting.

Bombino

Montemayor just remade the video on the Battle of Savo Island 1942 (America's Worst Naval Defeat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lICRQPIduFc

The new version is a huge (and needed) improvement over the previous version bringing it up to the quality of the Pearl Harbor and Battle of Midway offerings.

Neptune’s Inferno byHornfischer is good reading about the Navy’s defeats at Guadacanal.

This should be pretty good viewing.

My late father-in-law was a marine and served in the Pacific theatre in WW2. He talked about being in the Philippines, Guadal Canal, Iwo Jima, etc., but never mentioned the combat. When my girls were in gymnastics he said some of the things they did reminded him of a little guy he served with, then he got real quiet and somber and said he didn’t make it back. He was part of the invasion force that was in place to invade if the bombs hadn’t forced the Japanese surrender. After the war he found out two of his brothers were also in Tokyo for the surrender, one was in the Navy and the other was in the Army. Another brother was killed in Germany.