Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is wrong with California

Adopting a bill to pay restoration to the descendants of slaves.
    So slavery was abolished 165 years ago and you want people that had nothing to do with it to pay.
    What has America come to?
    Shirley Weber wants to really address the issues of justice and fairness.
    Here is my story of fairness, my wife who is a kindergarten teacher here in Louisville goes out of her way to deliver a teaching packet for her little student who lives in a terrible neighborhood only to receive a phone call from the little kids mother cussing her out.
    There is only an issue to those who seem to constantly talk about racism and injustice.
    It kind of is wearing on me as no one is holding this race of people back but themselves, they choose not to get out of the drugs and corruption and roots itself in their neighborhoods and family’s.
    If this group would start to take education seriously then maybe they would be taken seriously.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Re: What is wrong with California

This topic would be shorter if it was titled "What is right about California?"

1) the weather
    2)
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

1) the weather
    2)
    Given the current drought and wildfires, #1. would be questionable IMO.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Given the current drought and wildfires, #1. would be questionable IMO.
    1) Disneyland?
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

1) the weather
    2) the beach
    3) the diversity (of people)
    4) the food - amazing Mexican food and seafood
    5) the diversity (of land) - I have surfed in the morning and ski'd the same afternoon. Beaches, deserts, mountains, rural, urban, everything.
    6) the waves (we surf. And lots of places with beaches do not have good surfing. We live in surfing paradise.)
    7) the diversity (of cities) - I love being a drive away from Malibu, Palm Springs, Napa/Sonoma, Baja California, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Arizona, Utah, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Mammoth, Big Bear, Valle de Guadelupe, Paso Robles, Santa Barbara, etc etc.
    8) the arts - we have fantastic museums, Balboa Park, Theaters, amphitheaters, music venues, etc
    9) the sports - Padres, Dodgers, Galaxy, LAFC, Chargers, Rams, Lakers, Clippers, Warriors, A's, Giants, 49ers, Raiders (we still claim them and close enough in Vegas) all pro teams in our state. And I'm probably forgetting a few we have so many. USC, UCLA, SDSU, Stanford, etc etc.
    10) the weather - this deserves mentioning again. Gorgeous days year round. No humidity. No bugs. Santa Ana's that produce wildfires suck.

Honorable Mentions of other things we love: Camping spots, Bike Trails, Parks, Golf Courses, Boating, Politics, Access to Mexico, Multiple international airports, Farmers Markets, Avocado's, Del Mar races, Gaslamp, Amusement Parks, Comedy Clubs, Breweries (Ballast Point, Stone and a plethora of other breweries), wineries, growing equity in our home.
    Last edited by ukpumacat; 10-01-2020 at 10:57 AM.
    ~Puma~

2) almonds, I like almonds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

The is a much bigger point here, things will change when the values change.

3) Almond growers, because they grow almonds, and I like almonds.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

4) Bikini clad women....and yes I am going there

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    1) the weather
    2) the beach
    3) the diversity (of people)
    4) the food - amazing Mexican food and seafood
    5) the diversity (of land) - I have surfed in the morning and ski'd the same afternoon. Beaches, deserts, mountains, rural, urban, everything.
    6) the waves (we surf. And lots of places with beaches do not have good surfing. We live in surfing paradise.)
    7) the diversity (of cities) - I love being a drive away from Malibu, Palm Springs, Napa/Sonoma, Baja California, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Arizona, Utah, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Mammoth, Big Bear, Valle de Guadelupe, Paso Robles, Santa Barbara, etc etc.
    8) the arts - we have fantastic museums, Balboa Park, Theaters, amphitheaters, music venues, etc
    9) the sports - Padres, Dodgers, Galaxy, LAFC, Chargers, Rams, Lakers, Clippers, Warriors, A's, Giants, 49ers, Raiders (we still claim them and close enough in Vegas) all pro teams in our state. And I'm probably forgetting a few we have so many. USC, UCLA, SDSU, Stanford, etc etc.
    10) the weather - this deserves mentioning again. Gorgeous days year round. No humidity. No bugs. Santa Ana's that produce wildfires suck.

Honorable Mentions of other things we love: Camping spots, Bike Trails, Parks, Golf Courses, Boating, Politics, Access to Mexico, Multiple international airports, Farmers Markets, Avocado's, Del Mar races, Gaslamp, Amusement Parks, Comedy Clubs, Breweries (Ballast Point, Stone and a plethora of other breweries), wineries, growing equity in our home.
    Most of those IMO fall under "weather". It has a great and diverse climate, no doubt. Lots of outdoor stuff to do. Certainly more than any other place in the US.

I won't give you "the arts", as california is no better than any number of places on that front. Also very taste dependent.

Not sure I'll give you sports in that yes there are a ton of teams, it's a huge state after all, but they don't fill a need any better than being in lexington and a UK fan, or a Bama fan, or a Yankees fan. Having lots of choices really doesn't matter in sports where people tend to pick their team in each sport and get fulfillment from that team and the common shared experience.

I can give you Mexican food, but Texas can match it, Florida has great Cuban, and if you really want the best ethnic food you need to go to New York or DC, which both have unreal numbers of great ethnic restaurants compared to any other place.

So it comes down to the great geography. that's a good reason, I've been there and having perfect weather every day is really nice, but of course it's also a largely false construct as a lot of that state is meant to be desert (the lack of rain) which we have fixed by diverting millions of gallons of water.

it's ironic to me that the home of environmentalism is built on massive scale human interference in Mother Nature's plans. It's taken extreme levels of water diversion and management, along with decades of suppression of natural fire cycles to maintain much of the actual living and agricultural area in the state. It's no skin off my nose, but it is interesting.

And for the fire policy, obviously also very deadly, as decades of policy to not allow any burning has allowed not just California but a lot of the Western US to become a tinderbox. We actually ran a case in the 1980s on the issues this would bring to the region, and now decades later we're seeing some of the results. It's not the only factor, but it is one of them.

Of course the problem with California is that it is also full of more nuts than just boss's beloved almonds.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

And, truthfully, when people say "California" in a negative political manner, they mean the coast and really just a few key urban areas. Much of California is actually full of people who haven't lost their minds yet.

It's mostly the San Fran valley that gives that image of the state.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post

I can give you Mexican food, but Texas can match it, Florida has great Cuban, and if you really want the best ethnic food you need to go to New York or DC, which both have unreal numbers of great ethnic restaurants compared to any other place.
    I'm coming up on year 4 in the DC metro area and I have yet to find a really GOOD restaurant, including ethnic food. There are a ton of them, but they are all just decent. The diversity and excellence of food in Chicago blows away DC.

To stick on topic, what is wrong with California is that it should be multiple states. Other than that, I echo Puma's comments, especially the food. SF is right up there with NY and Chicago, not necessarily in quantity of choices, but definitely in quality.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    I'm coming up on year 4 in the DC metro area and I have yet to find a really GOOD restaurant, including ethnic food. There are a ton of them, but they are all just decent. The diversity and excellence of food in Chicago blows away DC.

To stick on topic, what is wrong with California is that it should be multiple states. Other than that, I echo Puma's comments, especially the food. SF is right up there with NY and Chicago, not necessarily in quantity of choices, but definitely in quality.
    It would probably better represent the diversity of the state to be split into three or more smaller states.

When I’ve taken groups to DC we’d stop at the fish market. I don’t know if it is the same now, but in those days you could get a brown bag of shrimp that was pretty tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    It would probably better represent the diversity of the state to be split into three or more smaller states.

When I’ve taken groups to DC we’d stop at the fish market. I don’t know if it is the same now, but in those days you could get a brown bag of shrimp that was pretty tasty.
    There is still the Wharf, which you can get a bunch of seafood in a grab and go format, which is great. We go there quite a bit. Obviously, the Maryland blue crab is always awesome too. I should probably retract a bit of my statement earlier, there is tremendous seafood options in the area. I just usually eat my fish in sushi form and that is pretty awful around here.

California isn't the only state that should be split, Texas, NY among others. I also think a few should be rolled up, mainly the midwest states west of the Mississippi should be about 5 states maximum that do not have the diversity and are over represented.

And, truthfully, when people say "California" in a negative political manner, they mean the coast and really just a few key urban areas. Much of California is actually full of people who haven't lost their minds yet.

Yeah, like the Almond growers.

Most of those IMO fall under "weather". It has a great and diverse climate, no doubt. Lots of outdoor stuff to do. Certainly more than any other place in the US.

I won't give you "the arts", as california is no better than any number of places on that front. Also very taste dependent.

Not sure I'll give you sports in that yes there are a ton of teams, it's a huge state after all, but they don't fill a need any better than being in lexington and a UK fan, or a Bama fan, or a Yankees fan. Having lots of choices really doesn't matter in sports where people tend to pick their team in each sport and get fulfillment from that team and the common shared experience.

So it comes down to the great geography. that's a good reason, I've been there and having perfect weather every day is really nice, but of course it's also a largely false construct as a lot of that state is meant to be desert (the lack of rain) which we have fixed by diverting millions of gallons of water.

it's ironic to me that the home of environmentalism is built on massive scale human interference in Mother Nature's plans. It's taken extreme levels of water diversion and management, along with decades of suppression of natural fire cycles to maintain much of the actual living and agricultural area in the state. It's no skin off my nose, but it is interesting.

And for the fire policy, obviously also very deadly, as decades of policy to not allow any burning has allowed not just California but a lot of the Western US to become a tinderbox. We actually ran a case in the 1980s on the issues this would bring to the region, and now decades later we're seeing some of the results. It's not the only factor, but it is one of them.

Of course the problem with California is that it is also full of more nuts than just boss's beloved almonds.
    To be clear, I was not saying California was better than anywhere else nor making a comparison to anywhere else. Doc made a joke and asked the question, "What is right with California?". I gave a long list of some of the many things I love about it and that I think is "right" about it. Of course other places have some of those things. But your response sort of makes my point...you had to pick and choose different states that have those things. California has them all.

I've lived in 7 states and visited all 50 (as I've said before). I love many areas of this country. And complimenting one isn't an insult to any other. I certainly hope everyone loves where they live.
    ~Puma~

I can vouch for having fabulous Cuban food in Florida. We have a few good places here in SW FL. Much more so about 75 miles east of here in Broward and Miami-Dade Counties.

To be clear, I was not saying California was better than anywhere else nor making a comparison to anywhere else. Doc made a joke and asked the question, "What is right with California?". I gave a long list of some of the many things I love about it and that I think is "right" about it. Of course other places have some of those things. But your response sort of makes my point...you had to pick and choose different states that have those things. California has them all.

I've lived in 7 states and visited all 50 (as I've said before). I love many areas of this country. And complimenting one isn't an insult to any other. I certainly hope everyone loves where they live.
    Very fair point.

It's got a lot, there's a reason so many live there. The weather is undeniably wonderful, the best in the nation by far.

Not worth it to me but it's nice to visit.

You made a list and forgot scantly clad women

You made a list and forgot scantly clad women
    You and I both know that goes without saying. Ha

Fab Five

If they are going to pay reparations they need to in clude Chinese. Racists such as Leland Stanford made his fortune on the backs of Chinese labor. His statue needs to come down and the University needs to drop his name.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    If they are going to pay reparations they need to in clude Chinese. Racists such as Leland Stanford made his fortune on the backs of Chinese labor. His statue needs to come down and the University needs to drop his name.
    And don't forget the native Americans, like Liz Warren.

Cali needs to give most of the state back to the Mexicans or at least pay them for what they stole from them including a portion of the discovered gold and silver.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    There is still the Wharf, which you can get a bunch of seafood in a grab and go format, which is great. We go there quite a bit. Obviously, the Maryland blue crab is always awesome too. I should probably retract a bit of my statement earlier, there is tremendous seafood options in the area. I just usually eat my fish in sushi form and that is pretty awful around here.

California isn't the only state that should be split, Texas, NY among others. I also think a few should be rolled up, mainly the midwest states west of the Mississippi should be about 5 states maximum that do not have the diversity and are over represented.
    The Midwest states are too large geographically to roll into a single state. If you are combining states it would make more sense to combine Vermont and New Hampshire, Connecticut and Rhode Island, and integrate Delaware and New Jersey with one of their neighboring states.

California definitely has a lot of natural diversity with a multitude of different biomes. People aren’t fleeing California in droves due to what politicians have done to the state. One party rule, no matter what party it is, is not a good thing for any governmental system. Two opposing parties provide checks and balances to keep things from going to far either direction. People complain about government gridlock, but gridlock is good.

Rupp's Runt

1) Disneyland?
    Not been there. But I figure it is like Disney World but not as good with more rainbow souvenirs gift shops?

And don't forget the native Americans, like Liz Warren.

and a tribute to the biggest pbm with Cali while keeping with the bikini theme

The photoshopper responsible for that should have their eyes plucked out.
    seeya
    dan