Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Johnny Carson Rerun Stories

Johnny Carson Rerun Stories

A few weeks ago I started watching Tonight Show reruns on METV. Tonight I was watching an episode from September 26, 1974 and as Johnny often did after his monologue he would plug where Doc and Ed would be appearing. On the show tonight Johnny announced Doc and his band will be appearing at the University of Kentucky in Lexington Ky. (Friday Sept. 27).

I would have just been starting my junior year in high school at Lexington Catholic in ‘74, and was oblivious to the fact that Doc was in town...

I might add, Dom Delouse was on the show and he and Johnny got in to an egg fight... hysterical, I was laughing out loud.

Burt Reynolds then came out in a brown leather suit with a can of whipped cream... Followed by Art Carney coming out in his boxer shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 09-28-2020 at 09:59 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Johnny Carson Rerun Stories

I still miss carson. That was one of those things that united us as a nation. As corny as it sounds if you stayed up past the news you watched Carson. It was a huge shared experience.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I still miss carson. That was one of those things that united us as a nation. As corny as it sounds if you stayed up past the news you watched Carson. It was a huge shared experience.
    That’s back when something on TV could make me laugh.
    Real Fan since 1958

Put Carson reruns back on in its original time slot on NBC and it would probably hold its own in the ratings against the other late night shows...

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Put Carson reruns back on in its original time slot on NBC and it would probably hold its own in the ratings against the other late night shows...

it would win IMO. At least with anyone about 40 or older. I'd get TV back just to watch it at night.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

The best one ever was the night he had Raquel Welch out. For some reason she had some sort of cat on her lap and slyly asked Johnny if he would like to pet her pussy. Without missing a beat he goes, ‘Sure, if you’ll move the damn cat’.

That one is a classic.

Also Buddy Hackett's duck joke, where he ends up on the floor knocking over the furniture, water spilling all over him.

Carson was the keeper of this nation's comedic keys for decades. If you wanted to make it you had to get on Carson, and if he liked you and invited you over then boy you were on your way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aww4HT5g7ig

Also Buddy Hackett's duck joke,
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aww4HT5g7ig

Also Buddy Hackett's duck joke,
    I watched that episode the other night. Tonight I’ll be watching an episode from 1986 with Bob Newhart

The man was a genius IMO. Made millions as a comedian while being unfunny. Only person to do it better is Jim Carrey
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

If any of you stream your tv channels, PLUTO tv (free) has the Johnny Carson channel with entire shows on 24/7. They've also added a Carol Burnett Show channel also.
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

1982, football strike joke...

JC said the networks were looking at alternatives to air in the place of NFL games and they were considering Canadian football, and then he added they were also looking at adding Mexican football. The Mexican football games would be high scoring games because they put the goal posts on the US border.... the audience went crazy with applause.

Last edited by blueboss; 10-01-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Fab Five

“I have certain guidelines on this show, but I would give about a year’s pay to peek under there.”
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    “I have certain guidelines on this show, but I would give about a year’s pay to peek under there.”
    My favorite line.

I have the Johnny Carson show on my droidTV app, and when I get sick and tired of all of the nonsense going on in the world, I watch a show, or at least a portion of the show, just for my return to normalcy.

For some reason one joke I will never forget was him talking about finally some good news in California weather. The mudslides were putting out the forest fires.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw2W8ZC7pkM
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 10-30-2020 at 08:39 PM.
    seeya
    dan

Airing tonight is an episode from 1973 with guests, Buddy Hackett, Dean Martin, Burt Reynolds, and Carol Wayne...

Oh, and Don Rickles.

Last edited by blueboss; 10-02-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Fab Five

Carol Wayne was a mess!
    Real Fan since 1958

With our subscription to spectrum that gives us 190 channels here in BG we get a version of METV but not the version that airs the Carson reruns dangit.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 10-02-2020 at 08:53 PM.
    seeya
    dan

With our subscription to spectrum that gives us 190 channels here in BG we get a version of METV but not the version that airs the Carson reruns dangit.
    It’s channel 187 on my guide.

I loved the Jonathan Winters visits

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    It’s channel 187 on my guide.

What time of day and which days does it come on?

I found the channel, at least when I key in 137 it takes me to 139 but the show does not appear on the menu at any time of day on any day of the week.
    seeya
    dan

What time of day and which days does it come on?

I found the channel, at least when I key in 137 it takes me to 139 but the show does not appear on the menu at any time of day on any day of the week.
    10:00 pm est m-f

Thanks. Looks like 189 is not the same as 187 even though the listing for 189 reads MeTV.
    seeya
    dan

Thanks. Looks like 189 is not the same as 187 even though the listing for 189 reads MeTV.
    I just looked it up on the guide, the channel is called WDRB-DT2 Antenna TV 187. I apologize, I thought it was MeTV

Watching the shows that date back to the 70’s and 80’s, the headline news stories that JC uses in his monologue jokes are interesting.

Plus, the political jokes are a lot less vile and a lot more funny than the late night guys these days.

The JC show I was watching tonight aired on 10/31/80, four days before the Election Day with Carter running against Reagan.

Sure was a different time then...

Another interesting note, Bob Hope was a guest and JC plugged an appearance he had coming up on Nov 8th, the homecoming show at the University of Kentucky in Lexington Ky.... anybody make it to that show?

11/12/81 Jerry Seinfeld made an appearance. JC introduced him as a young and up coming comedian. After Seinfeld’s stand up spot JC gave him an ok sign, as Seinfeld left the stage JC said “he’s good, new, young comedian that’s going to do very well”.

Eight years later the Seinfeld show started, and Forbes, currently has Seinfeld’s net worth at $950 million.