Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Say Some Prayers for Louisville

Re: Say Some Prayers for Louisville

So is this same as a second degree murder charge?

Can’t bring the young lady back, and the twelve million plus these charges should calm things while inspiring change I hope.
    Last edited by kingcat; 09-23-2020 at 02:56 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Prior to making any sort of judgement, please take time to watch the statements made by the AG. In my opinion he has done an outstanding job shepherding this case to this point. Now it is up to a jury to decide a verdict after a trial.

So far they have only lost one trash can to a fire. The protest parade has exited the area surrounding the government building area where they had originally gathered so the TV cameras have not moved on with them.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I do not think so, but I did not stay at a holiday inn last night
    seeya
    dan

I think the charge stemmed from the danger that was caused by the bullets that entered the adjoining apartment that was occupied at the time.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    There will inevitably be a lot of speculation about what happened in the grand jury. Did Cameron push (or not push) for a particular result? Was it really a situation where the grand jury believed the other officers didn't do anything wrong, or was it an 8-4 vote but not the 9 needed to indict? We're unlikely to ever know. That will not stop people from filling the vacuum with speculation.
    He said he did not as that was not his job. His job was to present the facts as they found them and then step back and let the grand jury do their job.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 09-23-2020 at 02:29 PM.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post

Can’t bring the young lady back, and the twelve million plus these charges should calm things while inspiring change downI hope.
    No. Here's KRS Chapter 507 which describes murder, manslaughter 1st, manslaughter 2nd and reckless homicide:

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/law/....aspx?id=19717

And here's the wanton endangerment statute:

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/law/....aspx?id=19734

Murder is potentially a capital offense, manslaughter 1st is a Class B felony, manslaughter 2nd is a Class C felony, reckless homicide and wanton endangerment 1st are Class D felonies.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    He said he did not as that was not his job. His job was to present the facts as they found them and then step back and let the grand jury do their job.
    Yes--those who are inclined to believe him will do so, and those who are not will say "Yeah, surrrrrrrre." The nature of the process (secrecy) will lead to a "confirm your priors" situation.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

The questions will be how can you award 12 million but then say that the fatal shot was justified.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    The questions will be how can you award 12 million but then say that the fatal shot was justified.
    One civil, one crimminal. One preponderance (sp?) of evidence, one is reasonable doubt
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

No. Here's KRS Chapter 507 which describes murder, manslaughter 1st, manslaughter 2nd and reckless homicide:

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/law/....aspx?id=19717

And here's the wanton endangerment statute:

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/law/....aspx?id=19734

Murder is potentially a capital offense, manslaughter 1st is a Class B felony, manslaughter 2nd is a Class C felony, reckless homicide and wanton endangerment 1st are Class D felonies.
    I asked because of the Asian AG commenting on Fox who stated it was basically such. I couldn’t understand what he may have meant since those shots evidently did not hit anyone.

..and yes, my uncle and I were watching Fox.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Did you flip? Lol

Did you flip? Lol
    Naw, but he is a diehard Fox News man. He likes their girls. He just turned 80 the other day and is Moms little brother. Both are doing well thank the Lord.

Yes that’s great and the girls are nice on fox.

my dad is in the same boat Kingcat. He watches Fox for the same reason. He is 77. When he stays with me it gets heated as I don’t let that happen here lol

Rioting on Bardstown road. Yelling constant obscenities at cops. We need Governor Reagan.

I understand where you are coming from, but imo the the settlement and the (somewhat lack of)criminal charges make sense. I think the police department made some major mistakes here. They allegedly did not identify as police, although one witness thought he heard them say police once. They were in plain clothes. The guy with Breonna was not the drug dealer, this was a new boyfriend, a UK student with a conceal carry permit. Neither one of them were engaged in criminal conduct. The police did a very poor job surveilling the apartment. Breonna and boyfriend left for and returned from dinner and surveillance did not notice this. They allegedly thought she was alone. Supposedly, once gunfire started, one officer indiscriminately fired his gun through the wall, hence the wanton endangerment.

That is the problem with these paramilitary raids, you better be damn sure you know what you are getting into, and they failed and cost an innocent lady her life.

good summary basket case. It seems most of the erosion of our rights has come from the excesses of the "war on drugs".

That was a good explanation.
    As mentioned I do believe there is more to the story and the possible delivery of packages to her apartment for the previous boyfriend.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Rioting on Bardstown road. Yelling constant obscenities at cops. We need Governor Reagan.
    Does anyone know why the protests are on Bardstown Rd. I could see St. Francis of Assisi in the background of the news coverage. Unusual place for protests.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Does anyone know why the protests are on Bardstown Rd. I could see St. Francis of Assisi in the background of the news coverage. Unusual place for protests.
    All the good stuff has already been looted from downtown.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Everybody likes the Highlands.

The Highlands are not all that far from East Broadway via Baxter Avenue
    Everybody likes the Highlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    One civil, one crimminal. One preponderance (sp?) of evidence, one is reasonable doubt
    The settlement had nothing to do with the facts of the case.

FWIW, this was posted by a friend/former colleague on his FB page this afternoon:

Louisville is anxious today in light of the Breonna Taylor grand jury decisions. When I served as a federal prosecutor, my section supervisor was Jim Lesousky, who was one of the AG's attorneys who presented the case to the grand jury. While I am disappointed with the GJ's overall findings, I don't know all the facts. We also don't know what charges Jim and the AG presented to the GJ. They may have presented charges against the other officers, or more serious charges, and the GJ may have disagreed.

I do know that Jim is one of the best attorneys I've ever worked with -- a pillar of integrity, ethics, and competence. He also helped me when I prosecuted a Louisville Metro Police officer when I was a fed. I say all of this to place some context in the GJ's decision making process and to give a measure of comfort that at least one attorney involved in the process faithfully followed the evidence and the facts, even if we disagree with the conclusions reached by the grand jury.

To my friends here in Louisville and elsewhere who are disappointed or disillusioned about this result, please know that your voices and those of protesters were heard and are continuing to be heard. Police reforms have been enacted and more are to follow. The FBI is continuing to investigate the warrant process used in Breonna's case and federal charges may be forthcoming.

I have faith in Louisville and in the peaceful protesters who will continue to press for changes to ensure equality and justice in the processes and in the outcomes of our legal system.

BEvans, thanks for that post.

It seems to me the problem is that, if we assume she is completely innocent of any drug related activities, then this was all a huge series of errors by multiple people leading to this tragedy.

But for the individual officers, how many of those wrong decisions were theirs? Who pursued the warrant itself? Why are officers in plain clothes doing that job? What are the procedures for identifying themselves? Are those procedures even sane given that now any home invader can be "plain clothes" and simply yell "POLICE" and maybe get you to let your guard down?

IMO there's a LOT of fault here, but it is spread out and belongs to a number of people and clearly a number of policies and procedures. How much falls on those specific officers probably isn't the full weight of the injustice. So while charging them with murder feels "right" to many, it may be too much of the blame to put on them so much of it.

THe problem will be that many, most will not look at the collective number of charges, the civil payments, the reforms and say "OK, that was enough", b/c they will apparently be very incremental, and doled out over time. It won't give people a sense of justice.

And that's why we had mob rule at times in this country, and hangings in the public square, b/c it gives people that sense. Our current justice system, that is cumbersome, slow and very incremental, doesn't give us much sense of satisfaction when we are outraged.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Appsrently a couple cops have been shot in Louisville tonight. Not sure its been reported yet

At some point he Mayor needs to allow them to shoot back......

FWIW, this was posted by a friend/former colleague on his FB page this afternoon:

Louisville is anxious today in light of the Breonna Taylor grand jury decisions. When I served as a federal prosecutor, my section supervisor was Jim Lesousky, who was one of the AG's attorneys who presented the case to the grand jury. While I am disappointed with the GJ's overall findings, I don't know all the facts. We also don't know what charges Jim and the AG presented to the GJ. They may have presented charges against the other officers, or more serious charges, and the GJ may have disagreed.

I do know that Jim is one of the best attorneys I've ever worked with -- a pillar of integrity, ethics, and competence. He also helped me when I prosecuted a Louisville Metro Police officer when I was a fed. I say all of this to place some context in the GJ's decision making process and to give a measure of comfort that at least one attorney involved in the process faithfully followed the evidence and the facts, even if we disagree with the conclusions reached by the grand jury.

To my friends here in Louisville and elsewhere who are disappointed or disillusioned about this result, please know that your voices and those of protesters were heard and are continuing to be heard. Police reforms have been enacted and more are to follow. The FBI is continuing to investigate the warrant process used in Breonna's case and federal charges may be forthcoming.

I have faith in Louisville and in the peaceful protesters who will continue to press for changes to ensure equality and justice in the processes and in the outcomes of our legal system.
    In the presser today the AG said they presented the GJ with all the murder/manslaughter charges available in Kentucky.

Almost, not quite, the old backyard, Mick. I remember when the orphanage was there across the alley from Granny’s backyard, in between Baxter and Bardstown.