Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Say Some Prayers for Louisville

Say Some Prayers for Louisville

I know we all love to bash on UofL, no one more than me, but please keep your fingers crossed that things go well here in my hometown the next few days.

It is expected that Daniel Cameron will announce his decision on the Breonna Taylor case this week, maybe as soon as today. The expectation seems to be that there will be no, or maybe relatively limited charges announced. In my opinion, that is the right decision legally, but it has the potential to be very ugly around here the next few days.

Downtown has been largely boarded up since the protests first started at the end of May. The Federal Courthouse has already announced they will be closed the entire week and is being guarded by federal marshals. LMPD declared a state of emergency yesterday, which is largely a procedural move so they can have all hands on deck, but is still an ominous sign. I work in the Fiscal Court Building right in the heart of downtown and noticed concrete barriers being moved into a large parking lot yesterday. This morning we received a text that our building is not officially closed (yet) but that so many streets have been closed it is difficult to get into downtown and we should work at home.

I have strong feelings as many others do, but please no politics in this thread. Please just say some prayers that Louisville gets through the next few days with no significant violence or damage. I've lived here all my life other than my time at UK, and wouldn't consider living anywhere else, but it's a really uneasy time to be in the hometown I love.

Fab Five

Re: Say Some Prayers for Louisville

“It’s the Hometwn of my heart.” Godspeed!
    Real Fan since 1958

Good luck to you and yours in the coming days.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Fab Five

There is absolutely no excuse for the destruction of property, looting, etc. Protest? Hell yes. But do it in a way that attracts people to your way of thinking, not in a way that repulses people.

It is my hope that justice, whatever that may be, will be served and that the people of Louisville, as well as those across the country, will accept it or, if they choose, engage in peaceful protest that not only doesn't put property in harms way, but more importantly doesn't put other people in harms way.

My most positive thoughts will be with the people of Louisville over this week that they can maybe, just a little bit, show us a path forward by their words and actions.

EDIT: I wrote this before I fully read the OP. If this falls in that "too political" category, please delete.
    Last edited by Bakert; 09-22-2020 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    There is absolutely no excuse for the destruction of property, looting, etc. Protest? Hell yes. But do it in a way that attracts people to your way of thinking, not in a way that repulses people.

It is my hope that justice, whatever that may be, will be served and that the people of Louisville, as well as those across the country, will accept it or, if they choose, engage in peaceful protest that not only doesn't put property in harms way, but more importantly doesn't put other people in harms way.

My most positive thoughts will be with the people of Louisville over this week that they can maybe, just a little bit, show us a path forward by their words and actions.

EDIT: I wrote this before I fully read the OP. If this falls in that "too political" category, please delete.

Nope, very well said!

Comeback Cat

My hometown too but glad I am a country dweller now. Louisville has already been significantly hurt by the earlier rioting so I pray for a much more measured protest and for the safety of our law enforcement

We will see. Respect for the rule of law and accepting the notion of personal responsibility could be the choice.

There will be protests no doubt but I have my doubts about Armageddon like it’s being played up.

Doing a good job of not discussing politics in the thread. If/when stuff happens, please start a new thread on The Barber Shop for that discussion. This thread seems like a good idea; to pray for the safety, security and mental and physical health of the entire community, and let's leave it at that.

I haven't been downtown in 3 years or so with no plans to start now

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    I know we all love to bash on UofL, no one more than me, but please keep your fingers crossed that things go well here in my hometown the next few days.

It is expected that Daniel Cameron will announce his decision on the Breonna Taylor case this week, maybe as soon as today. The expectation seems to be that there will be no, or maybe relatively limited charges announced. In my opinion, that is the right decision legally, but it has the potential to be very ugly around here the next few days.

Downtown has been largely boarded up since the protests first started at the end of May. The Federal Courthouse has already announced they will be closed the entire week and is being guarded by federal marshals. LMPD declared a state of emergency yesterday, which is largely a procedural move so they can have all hands on deck, but is still an ominous sign. I work in the Fiscal Court Building right in the heart of downtown and noticed concrete barriers being moved into a large parking lot yesterday. This morning we received a text that our building is not officially closed (yet) but that so many streets have been closed it is difficult to get into downtown and we should work at home.

I have strong feelings as many others do, but please no politics in this thread. Please just say some prayers that Louisville gets through the next few days with no significant violence or damage. I've lived here all my life other than my time at UK, and wouldn't consider living anywhere else, but it's a really uneasy time to be in the hometown I love.
    I believe it isn’t Cameron, but the Grand Jury that has decided or will decide upon charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    There will be protests no doubt but I have my doubts about Armageddon like it’s being played up.
    I hope you’re right.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    We will see. Respect for the rule of law and accepting the notion of personal responsibility could be the choice.
    Maybe so. That would be great. It COULD turn into a shining moment for Louisville (and by extension Kentucky) if the only response is truly peaceful protests and there is no violence.

That would be fantastic.

I think that all depends on the announcement.

We live in Jtown near the Snyder so we're practically in Shelby/Spencer County. Mrs. BEvans worked in the Okolona/Jefferson Mall area but recently retired. We'd pretty much decided we would eventually move to a warmer climate but what's gone on in recent months has sealed the deal for us. Without getting political, I'll just say I don't think the will is there for needed changes.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 09-22-2020 at 01:37 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

IMO I think they should wait until late Friday evening before releasing any information, giving the downtown working community time to get out of downtown. Then they have the entire weekend to clean it up, plus the weekend news cycle would allow a little cool down period.

Louisville is no stranger to rioting and unrest, going back to the 1975 bussing riots. Ironically the rioting in 75’ took place mostly in the south end, and now the rioting is in the downtown area.... Louisville sent a message to the nation back then, and will probably send a message to the nation again.

Prayers to all the business’s and people affected by the damage. Hopefully there will be no loss of life and/or serious injury to those on the sidelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    IMO I think they should wait until late Friday evening before releasing any information, giving the downtown working community time to get out of downtown. Then they have the entire weekend to clean it up, plus the weekend news cycle would allow a little cool down period.

Louisville is no stranger to rioting and unrest, going back to the 1975 bussing riots. Ironically the rioting in 75’ took place mostly in the south end, and now the rioting is in the downtown area.... Louisville sent a message to the nation back then, and will probably send a message to the nation again.

Prayers to all the business’s and people affected by the damage. Hopefully there will be no loss of life and/or serious injury to those on the sidelines.

There’s basically gonna be no one downtown this week after today. Since I posted this morning:

-County attorney’s office has told all employees to work at home until further notice
    -District and state court dockets after tonight’s are cancelled until Monday
    -Judicial Center and Hall of Justice are closed from 11:30 PM tonight until Monday morning
    -Master Commissioner’s sales scheduled for Thursday (which draws a couple hundred people) has been cancelled
    -Many non governmental employers are already working from home anyway because of COVID, but several that aren’t have told employees to work at home this week

Decision obviously isn’t coming today, but I’d bet on it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    We live in Jtown near the Snyder so we're practically in Shelby/Spencer County. Mrs. BEvans worked in the Okolona/Jefferson Mall area but recently retired. We'd pretty much decided we would eventually move to a warmer climate but what's gone on in recent months has sealed the deal for us. Without getting political, I'll just say I don't think the will is there for needed changes.
    Come to Birmingham, BEvans. Need more good UK fans here. You don't want to live on the beach; it's better if you are a short drive to it. Can get to Perdido in 3.5-4 hours from here (south of Birmingham).

Plus it's not that far back to Lexington if you need. UK plays Auburn, just 90 miles away, Alabama, just 50 miles away, MSU, just 120ish mile away. Warm(er), but still seasons.

The only bad part is I live here. And Mick. And Darryl. But it's a big place; you can hide.

Fab Five

There’s basically gonna be no one downtown this week after today. Since I posted this morning:

-County attorney’s office has told all employees to work at home until further notice
    -Judicial Center and Hall of Justice are closed from 11:30 PM tonight until Monday morning
    -Master Commissioner’s sales scheduled for Thursday (which draws a couple hundred people) has been cancelled
    -Many non governmental employers are already working from home anyway because of COVID, but several that aren’t have told employees to work at home this week

This is a nice update on what's happening in the Judicial Community, however the real damage will come in the business sector. Corporations will not locate operations in areas of unrest and blight. They will not remain in areas where there is no leadership, to wit, Papa John's Headquarters operations move to the ATL. They will not remain in states with serious funding shortfalls. Louisville and Kentucky are failing. All the while less than 3 hours to the North and South, Indy and Nashville are thriving. It's been status quo in Louisville for far too long. This situation will have long range consequences. It's very sad.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 09-22-2020 at 11:49 PM.
    Real Fan since 1958

My fear is Louisville turns into Portland

terrorism
    [ˈterəˌrizəm]
    NOUN
    terrorism (noun)
    the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

They’ve definitely accomplished this.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Come to Birmingham, BEvans. Need more good UK fans here. You don't want to live on the beach; it's better if you are a short drive to it. Can get to Perdido in 3.5-4 hours from here (south of Birmingham).

Plus it's not that far back to Lexington if you need. UK plays Auburn, just 90 miles away, Alabama, just 50 miles away, MSU, just 120ish mile away. Warm(er), but still seasons.

The only bad part is I live here. And Mick. And Darryl. But it's a big place; you can hide.
    Thanks D--I've always been impressed by Birmingham when I've been there. Seems like a very liveable city.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

BTW, grand jury will present report to Judge O'Connell today at 1:15 pm ET. Link to stream here:

https://www.wdrb.com/news/grand-jury...6eaede117.html

I am always amazed how things leak out to the public.

I've purposely avoided reports on the case because they're usually wrong, or at best half-right (don't include all the facts the grand jury will hear). But anything less than indictments against all officers for first-degree murder is going to set off a you-know-what storm. And if you look at the elements of the offense, I think it's going to be very hard to get indictments on first-degree murder.

Getting home is probably going to be very interesting tonight.

(As always, I never predict what grand or petit juries will do and I'm not doing that here, either.)
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 09-23-2020 at 11:29 AM.

I can’t see it, when you are shot at to shoot back to kill, is it unfortunate she died yes.

I am sure we have all heard the stories and knowing cops you get more then maybe should be out there but it just seems to me she continued to place herself in a bad situation with her company.
    There was a good reason to get the warrant no matter what family members say.

Grand Jury results at 1:15 PM

1 officer charged with 3 counts of wanton endangerment first degree, other officers not charged.

https://twitter.com/TessaDuvall/stat...19247435481088

There will inevitably be a lot of speculation about what happened in the grand jury. Did Cameron push (or not push) for a particular result? Was it really a situation where the grand jury believed the other officers didn't do anything wrong, or was it an 8-4 vote but not the 9 needed to indict? We're unlikely to ever know. That will not stop people from filling the vacuum with speculation.