Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Puerto Rico, I despise my own ignorance

I had no idea that once upon a time they were the Pharma manufacturing capital of the USA, and Bill Clinton passed legislation that taxed those companies so much that they relocated to China.

It would be nice to have that manufacturing capability back in a US territory.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/gera...mp-puerto-rico
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: Puerto Rico, I despise my own ignorance

In the current climate and crisis I think restoring some of those huge tax breaks would be wise. They are seventy billion dollars in debt and looking at another bankruptcy otherwise.
    It would boost America’s security and give them the hand that's sorely needed now.

And if the Dems gain the upper hand in the senate they could be granted statehood along with Washington DC, after some senate rule changes. Something republicans continue to resist.
    Last edited by kingcat; 09-20-2020 at 02:19 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

The last 3 or 4 times they have held a vote on becoming a state, they have voted the motion down. Do we force them into statehood?
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    The last 3 or 4 times they have held a vote on becoming a state, they have voted the motion down. Do we force them into statehood?
    The a Dems would. The Constitution also prevents DC from being a state unless a Constitutional amendment takes place, and I don’t see that getting the required support from the states.

https://www.heritage.org/report/the-...trict-columbia

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    In the current climate and crisis I think restoring some of those huge tax breaks would be wise.
    Just more corporate welfare that exploits the people of Puerto Rico.

Much better to tax those rich fat cats. See how well it's worked out there.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post

And if the Dems gain the upper hand in the senate they could be granted statehood along with Washington DC, after some senate rule changes. Something republicans continue to resist.
    Absolutely resist.

First, statehood has almost always been a political balancing act. we can go back to the Compromise of 1850 and then the Kansas/Nebraska Act, and much more recently and very applicable the case of admitting Alaska and Hawaii as states.

Ironically both political parties were wrong, but the GOP supported hawaii and the Democrats supported Alaska, both seeing political advantage in that state, and the compromise was to bring both in as states.

Second, DC has only 700K or so in population. It's closer to the size of Louisville in population than it is any state. it would be absurdly disproportionate to give two Senate seats to a voting group that is very literally just a city in size.

If Democrats care so much about representation in DC the proper amendment would be to allow them to vote as citizens of Maryland, from which DC was carved. that would be fair, where they would get their own Congressional seat based on population and then be represented in a state that is a fair size, about 7 million.

Of course if those were all likely GOP voters both sides would immediately switch positions. It's just politics, no one cares about representation or voting unless they vote their way.

And the only way DC becomes a state is as Keith said if we pass a new Amendment, very unlikely, and Puerto Rico doesn't really want to become a state. They have been split about 50/50 on it for decades.

And it would cost us a bloody fortune to make them one fwiw, so be ready for a big tax increase if it happens.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I lived in Puerto Rico from 89-91 while stationed there in the Navy. Beautiful island with extremely nice people. They called Roosevelt Roads, where I was stationed (and has since been closed, sadly), The Crossroads of the Caribbean, and that probably applies for Puerto Rico generally. At the time it was the richest country in the Caribbean/Central America by far, but if it became a state it would be the poorest state by far. I haven't looked at its GDP in quite awhile but the last time I looked it would've been less than half that of Mississippi.

When I was there you had about 45-47% of the people wanting statehood, about 45-47% wanting to remain a Commonwealth and 5-10% wanting independence. IMHO you shouldn't become a state unless you have clear popular support in favor of it (say 60%+). The US should retain it--that geographic location has strategic importance. Status quo is best for now, IMHO.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 09-21-2020 at 12:28 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

AFAIK that split is about the same now. I haven't been but talked with a guy who was a lobbyist with a lot of work there, and that sounds about right. if anything the independence movement may be a bit stronger.

One of the big issues they are currently having is that the younger part of the population is gone. When the jobs left so did they and the age of the residents on average is not where you would want it for a vibrant working economy.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    GOP supported hawaii and the Democrats supported Alaska,
    Ironic, huh. HI is now a democratic state and AK is a republican one.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.