Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Head Phones? Is it Bose and Then the Rest?

Re: Head Phones? Is it Bose and Then the Rest?

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    I guess I had to spell HeadPhones like that in my search. No idea it was that picky.
    FWIW, I spelled it headphones in the search and this thread (and a bunch of other ones) came up. It isn't picky -- well, I mean...headphones is spelled the way you and I spelled it a BUNCH of times in this thread, so it popped up spelling it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    FWIW, I spelled it headphones in the search and this thread (and a bunch of other ones) came up. It isn't picky -- well, I mean...headphones is spelled the way you and I spelled it a BUNCH of times in this thread, so it popped up spelling it that way.
    no idea what I did wrong in the search then... Sorry.

Head Phones? Is it Bose and Then the Rest?

No worries. I didn't mind one bit. After the week I've had I'm glad I could finally help anybody, no matter how small the help lol.

Rupp's Runt

My daughter bought me a JBL headphone for my birthday last year.
    I know nothing about this stuff, but the sound is excellent as far as I'm concerned. Honestly, I seldom use them, but I am satisfied with what I have in them.

I currently have a pair of the Sony MDR-XB950B1. These have a really rich sound and the Bass is very big on these.

My problem is they do not fit on my big ears really well because they are kind of round and that makes them squish the top of my ear and after wearing for a bit, they hurt.

I used them last week as I lead 2 separate 1.5 hour conference sessions and was so happy to be able to take them off.

Bombino

I currently have a pair of the Sony MDR-XB950B1. These have a really rich sound and the Bass is very big on these.

My problem is they do not fit on my big ears really well because they are kind of round and that makes them squish the top of my ear and after wearing for a bit, they hurt.

I used them last week as I lead 2 separate 1.5 hour conference sessions and was so happy to be able to take them off.
    The MDR-XB950B1 appear to be somewhere between "over-the-ear" and "on-the-ear" headphones. For larger ears, such as in your case, they are "on the ear" which is what causes the discomfort you mention.

This leads into an important discussion about the three major types of headphones:

1. In-ear - these insert into the ear canal bypassing the ear all together. This design avoids the common issues with on-the-ear and over-the-ear models; namely overheating, pressure, and sound leakage. Sound quality can be extremely good if they make a perfect seal in the ears. That being said, with bypassing the ear, the soundstage is heavily compromised. Additionally, as they make a tight seal in the ear canal, ambient noise is inherently reduced. Additional active noise cancelling can improve things furthers. That being said, if you are using them in environments where you need to hear some external sounds (such as an office) then they can be a problem. These models tend to have OK but not amazing battery life.
    2. On-the-ear - For these, as the name implies, the pads rest on top of the ear. They allow the ear to breath but can be prone to causing discomfort/pain from the pressure. To their benefit, they tend to allow the ears to breath and not get too hot. Very few models have great sound quality or battery life. These models can also be heavily prone to sound leakage unless they clamp tightly to the ear.
    3. Over-The-Ear - For these, the pads fit around the ear, bypassing the inherent pressure issues in on-the-ear designs. While pressure is not an issue, they can behave like ear muffs trapping heat/sweat. Open backed designs tend to have better airflow and sound stage but allow the sound leak which can disturb others. The sound quality on these can be anywhere from mediocre to excellent/amazing. Additionally, these tend to have very long battery life (20-40 hours, mine get around 30h of real use).
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 02-15-2021 at 03:45 PM.

Pedro, you hear or know anything about these...

https://us.soundcore.com/products/a3028011

Bombino

Anker Soundcore q30 is solid. Rtings has them as their best budget wireless headphones under $100 (which is very high praise). They are very very bass heavy headphones but I believe you wanted that.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...e-q30-wireless

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Bombino

FYI, these are on sale today: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HMWZBXC/

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    FYI, these are on sale today: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HMWZBXC/

Thanks for this update.

I used my Sony's on the flight back from FL this week and to say they were AWFUL on blocking ambient noise on the flight would be a major understatement.

Bombino

Thanks for this update.

I used my Sony's on the flight back from FL this week and to say they were AWFUL on blocking ambient noise on the flight would be a major understatement.
    Not surprising, those have no active noise canceling and planes are notorious for being high noise environments. My Sony WH-H900N's aren't even Sony's best and they do a great job at blocking plane noise to the point I am surprised how loud everything is when I take them off.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Not surprising, those have no active noise canceling and planes are notorious for being high noise environments. My Sony WH-H900N's aren't even Sony's best and they do a great job at blocking plane noise to the point I am surprised how loud everything is when I take them off.
    I received the Soundcore Life Q30 today.

Listened to some AudioSlave (love testing speakers with Chris Cornell) and some Pavarotti greatest hits. Handled the notes very well. I do not think muddy at all. Did tone down the bass some but so far very impress. Most important, very comfortable to wear.

Do still get some ambient noise in the NC setting but 1000 times better than what I had. Especially for $79