Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Thank Goodness Democrats Aren’t All About Power (Like Republicans Are)

Re: Thank Goodness Democrats Aren’t All About Power (Like Republicans Are)

The Democrats are too stupid to know the precedents were established long ago. There has been one approval of a SCOTUS nominee in an election year when the Senate and President were different parties, eight times it was delayed. There have been 9 election year confirmations when the Senate and President were from the same party, only once was the nominee rejected.

The Dems need to really talk up packing the courts, it’s good for conservative turnout.

The Dems need to really talk up packing the courts, it’s good for conservative turnout.
    Schumer really is as dumb as he looks.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post

The dream GOP scenario is to push forward with the pick, let the leftists riot and threaten to "burn it down", and let the Dem leaders talk about court packing a LOT. It will be the best help the GOP has for holding the senate.

Win or lose, McConnell and Trump have done their job the last 4 years. Most of that goes to McConnell, who has used every means available to appoint 200 judges and fill every circuit court vacancy for the first time in 40 years.

Many only voted for Trump b/c they didn't want Hillary to pick the SCOTUS seat. If they pull this off he will have filled 3 SCOTUS seats and appointed about a quarter of seated the federal judiciary.

And that's largely thanks to McConnell. And Harry Reid for very foolishly eliminating the filibuster for every appointment except SCOTUS. Had he not done that McConnell would not have either IMO due to the risks to the GOP in the long run, but once it happened McConnell used the opportunity to stunning effect.

The bad news of course is that in the course of this we see more and more evidence of the system failing as the two camps move further apart. The rule of law and the art of compromise are falling apart. I imagine before many of us are gone it will fail almost entirely.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Schumer really is as dumb as he looks.
    He doesn't get out of New York and DC enough to have any perspective.

They think the vast majority of americans agree with them, and just these Trump loonies are the problem.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    The dream GOP scenario is to push forward with the pick, let the leftists riot and threaten to "burn it down", and let the Dem leaders talk about court packing a LOT. It will be the best help the GOP has for holding the senate.

Win or lose, McConnell and Trump have done their job the last 4 years. Most of that goes to McConnell, who has used every means available to appoint 200 judges and fill every circuit court vacancy for the first time in 40 years.

Many only voted for Trump b/c they didn't want Hillary to pick the SCOTUS seat. If they pull this off he will have filled 3 SCOTUS seats and appointed about a quarter of seated the federal judiciary.

And that's largely thanks to McConnell. And Harry Reid for very foolishly eliminating the filibuster for every appointment except SCOTUS. Had he not done that McConnell would not have either IMO due to the risks to the GOP in the long run, but once it happened McConnell used the opportunity to stunning effect.

The bad news of course is that in the course of this we see more and more evidence of the system failing as the two camps move further apart. The rule of law and the art of compromise are falling apart. I imagine before many of us are gone it will fail almost entirely.
    If Trump wins a second term it is almost assured that Thomas will retire so Trump can name his successor and Souter is 82, it’s hard to imagine him hanging in there another four years plus. That will mold the court for the next quarter century.

He doesn't get out of New York and DC enough to have any perspective.

They think the vast majority of americans agree with them, and just these Trump loonies are the problem.
    That’s the issue with politicians on both coasts, all they ever see are liberal points of view.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    That’s the issue with politicians on both coasts, all they ever see are liberal points of view.
    And the media as well. They were so stunned in 2016, it never occurred to them that a huge part of America could actually disagree with their views on the world.

I fully accept half of this country is liberal. I don't like it, it depresses me, I think they're dead wrong, but I accept it. I don't think they really accept half of the country is conservative. They just think we must misunderstand or something, or we're just dumb and being duped by the "cult of Trump" or whatever excuse they have that election cycle.

And the media as well. They were so stunned in 2016, it never occurred to them that a huge part of America could actually disagree with their views on the world.

I fully accept half of this country is liberal. I don't like it, it depresses me, I think they're dead wrong, but I accept it. I don't think they really accept half of the country is conservative. They just think we must misunderstand or something, or we're just dumb and being duped by the "cult of Trump" or whatever excuse they have that election cycle.
    They just can’t fathom that people have different opinions and different priorities than they do.