Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Pellet grill/smoker

Pellet grill/smoker

Yesterday went from thinking about trading in the gas grill to obsessing over what kind of pellet grill to get to buying one. I got a pit boss kc combo from Walmart that has the pellet grill on one side and the gas grill with hibachi insert on the other side. I did some ribeyes and I must say for my first time using it they were really solid. Any of you guys with advice using these put it on me! Type of pellets, how to use them best, foods that are good, etc.
    Go Cats!

Re: Pellet grill/smoker

Congrats on the purchase. I've been kind of looking myself but hoping the prices drop some in late fall

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I highly recommend a pellet smoker. This thing rocks, got a pit boss kc combo it’s a pellet smoker on one side and gas grill on the other. Kicker is it has a really heavy griddle insert for the gas grill side and it’s awesome.
    Go Cats!

Dan, I have had my Traeger Select for almost 10 years. the Traeger pellets come in different flavors and can be found at Costco for $15 on sale sometimes. The Traeger Premium Select Blend is highly rated but rarely on sell for under $20. I use Hickory, Apple, and Cherry alot but for general smokeing the PRemium Select is very good. Mesquite is good too but mosly for beef for me.

Bass Pro Shops has their own brand that are good but pricey.

Lowes has Pit Boss Competition Pellets for $15 and they are really good.

Honestly, as long as you are using pellets designed for smoking food (not heating house) I think you will be fine flavor wise.

If you have not, try the 3-2-1 Method on pork ribs. Fullproof outcome every time. Pull the silverskin off the back of all ribs.

For Brisket and pork shoulder, cook to a temp, not a time.

ENJOY!

Just don't use rabbit pellets from your neighbors pen. They'll light fine, but the flavor leaves something to be desired.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.