Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healthy Snacks

Rupp's Runt

Healthy Snacks

Tought we might could use a thread to share your healthy snack ideas. Below is one that my friend is always posting on FB. I finally tried it. It is like peanut butter candy in a bowl. He has made several versions of this. Often adding fruit, granola, or nuts as well. I did not add the chocolate syrup.

"1/2 cup greek plain no fat yogurt, 3 tablespoons peanut butter, 3 tablespoons truewhip, 1 tablespoon hersheys sugar free chocalte syrup. Mixed well and taste good....high protein, low saturated fat, low carb treat."

Re: Healthy Snacks

1 banana, peeled
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Healthy Snacks

I love this idea, but I don't have much to contribute.

I keep apples and bananas handy, and use an egg cooker to have perfectly cooked "boiled" eggs. I eat 1-2 daily, which bothers my doctor, but not me.

Almost all of the rest of these snacks we have are moderately unhealthy. Processed, packaged, nutrigrain bars, things like that. I will go take a look in the pantry later and post if anyone is interested, but you should not be. This is why I'm anxious to see what others may contribute.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I don't have much to contribute
    I've posted all I got lol

Healthy is relative. For my wife, that is eating kale. For me that is eating less cookies.

Mrs. BEvans makes something called a crustless apple something or other that tastes like the inside of an apple pie: 2 1/2 c sliced apples, 1/4 c light brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cooked in an Instant Pot for 30 minutes or so, then serve over a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt. It's very tasty and low cal (depending on the type of yogurt you use, about 200 calories or so).
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I've posted all I got lol

Healthy is relative. For my wife, that is eating kale. For me that is eating less cookies.
    lol. With you.

I don't know if this qualifies as a snack or not, but it is a light lunch for me most days. I mentioned this in the work from home thread, but every day I eat a mug of oatmeal. I use three quarters of a cup of steel cut oats, one heaping teaspoon of peanut butter (crunchy, preferably), and 1 teaspoon of honey or cinnamon sugar. If I wake up hungry in the morning, I will often eat that for breakfast rather than wait til lunch.

Do Pork Skins count?
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Rupp's Runt

Any kind of chocolate is good. Right? 😁

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    Do Pork Skins count?
    If they don't I will starve to death
    seeya
    dan

Healthy Snacks

Anybody drink Chocolate Soldiers? Do they still make that?

Probably not the healthiest snack drink, but I may hit the convenience store after I run this afternoon and see if they have one.

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    Do Pork Skins count?
    As long as you're on Adkins it's all good.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Almonds, cheese sticks, fig newtons....wait, that was lunch.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

My morning go to is a cappuccino with almond milk, stevia and steel cuts oats. It’s become habit....

I'm trying to get into steel cut oats. I like oatmeal, but can't do it in the morning. Doing an overnight crock pot thing with them now that works well, just need to do it more often.

I do toast my oats to deep brown with butter then put them in the pot (actually in a ramekin in the crockpot) and let them go overnight. I'm looking to try the refrigerator version, haven't gotten there yet.

With them toasted they just need salt. Gives them a very rich nutty flavor.

But I do need to find other low carb snacks. I eat my weight in nuts, and olives, and I love cheese but it's tougher without those wonderful crackers. Not a big pork rinds fan. I do like jerky so I do that.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

My eye doctor recommended sardines on saltines for a mid afternoon snack. I asked him if I could substitute anchovies. He said that could be better.
    Real Fan since 1958

I always thought of sardines on saltines as a meal and not a snack. In either category they are fine eating
    seeya
    dan

Healthy Snacks

I had jalapeno kettle chips and Cheetos tonight. Does that count?

I got nothin

I love the steel cut oats but I usually don’t have the patience or time to cook them. Hadn’t thought about the slow cooker.

Healthy Snacks

If you want steel cut oats as an easy snack, it isn't perfect, but this works for me.

9-12 tsp oats (1/4 cup is really 12 tsp, but I think 9 of the size I use is right).
    1 heaping tsp crunchy PB
    1 tsp honey
    Boil water (you don't need nearly as much as I was boiling, but I will be drinking tea shortly and like extra hot water for awhile.

Pour boiling water in soup mug with everything about half-way full. Let sit. Stir every couple of minutes. You'll know when it is ready. It takes a few minutes, but not too long. Less than 10 minutes.

I eat this daily almost every day. I like the peanut butter and crunch really adds to it. The honey is a nice sweetener to the nuttiness. IMG_20200907_123603__01.jpgIMG_20200907_123723__01.jpg

Crunch and Munch Butter Toffee..caramel flavored if they're out of the good stuff.

And I make some mean popcorn with melted butter\cheese added.

Not so healthy huh? Maybe I could use unsalted butter
    Last edited by kingcat; 09-07-2020 at 12:52 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I always thought of sardines on saltines as a meal and not a snack. In either category they are fine eating
    I need to get into sardines. High in B12, something I'm low in.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I love the steel cut oats but I usually don’t have the patience or time to cook them. Hadn’t thought about the slow cooker.
    My overnight method is to

1) Toast them. Adds a LOT of nutty flavor. I use butter and brown on the stove.

2) Put in a ramekin or such inside the slow cooker. These things can stick like glue, easier to clean that than the entire crockpot liner.

3) I use a 4:1 water (or milk or whatever) ratio to oats. I'm down to 1/4 cup b/c that's plenty for me for breakfast. I'm a light breakfast eater. I use water, the toasting of the oats is more than enough flavor.

So toast oats, put in ramekin, add water, put in crockpot with water around the ramekin (Maybe 1/3rd, 1/2 way up). Put on 8 hour low and walk away.

I do NOT salt mine while cooking. They need salt, and I salt the hades out of them when I get them out, but Alton Brown says not to salt Irish oats while cooking so I don't, it keeps them from absorbing as much liquid.

I've tried it without toasting the oats, it's OK, basic oatmeal, but not nearly as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I had jalapeno kettle chips and Cheetos tonight. Does that count?
    As long as you get the crumbs out of the beanbag chair I think it's OK.

Man I love kettle chips, esp. jalapeno.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    My eye doctor recommended sardines on saltines for a mid afternoon snack. I asked him if I could substitute anchovies. He said that could be better.
    I really need to do this, that's a great idea. Man I'm spamming this thread.

I forget the vitamin/mineral it's for, I have it on a sheet from my optometrist, will look at it. I love anchovies, haven't really been into sardines but I'm sure I can figure it out.

I do steel cut oats overnight in the fridge. 1 cup of oats and 2 cups of almond milk. Mix well and let sit in fridge overnight.
    Sometimes I will do 1/3 of a cup of quinoa with that. That makes it a complete protein between the 2 of them. Quinoa has to boil a couple of minutes and steep, covered for about 10 minutes till they pop. Then they go in with one cup of steel cut oats and 2 cups of almond milk. Regular milk is fine as well.

I try to avoid protein bars or cereal bars. Nuts and honey are my favorite after burn remedy for sure! It makes sense of course to rely on an extra boost if you have a demanding routine like mine. I usually do cross fit and some cycles of several demanding exercises so it would be impossible without some extr energy now and then! I don't like at all though steroids or anabolics but I do trust sources that helps bodybuilding for hard gainers to achieve their results much easier but most of all safely!
    Last edited by Mannzie; 01-24-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Healthy Snacks

Three Pepperidge Farm chocolate toffee thin crunch cookies instead of six.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Buy an apple corer slicer-thinner slices the better and one with a plate with bumps on it to finish the slices and pop them out. Then peanut butter or plain, they are good and simple.

I can lose 10-15 lbs in a month if I’ve let things get out of hand...like now. When I do I think the weight watchers type of diet is healthiest. I eat: apples, bananas, soups, healthy choice meals, low carb wrap with turkey and sprinkle some cheese and hot sauce, occasional nutri bar, the caramel rice cakes are amazing, skinny pop popcorn, and drink a bunch of water.
    Go Cats!