Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Health experts worry coronavirus could cause lasting heart complications for athletes

Health experts worry coronavirus could cause lasting heart complications for athletes

This kind of thing will be what boots football this season.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-complications

Re: Health experts worry coronavirus could cause lasting heart complications for athl

No one knows the lasting effects.

Re: Health experts worry coronavirus could cause lasting heart complications for athl

If we let health experts and epidemiologist make decisions 100% for our country, then we all need to build a bubble and never get out of it, like ever

Health experts worry coronavirus could cause lasting heart complications for athletes

No, but we do need to listen to them. Lot of stupid people in this country have denied the science and put us where we are today.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    No, but we do need to listen to them. Lot of stupid people in this country have denied the science and put us where we are today.
    Yes listen, proceed with caution, but PROCEED.. it’s getting out of hand..

Dr Fauci has literally said something different EVERY week on what we should Do, no makes, wear a mask, yes school, no school, no sports, limit fans to sporting events..

Dr. Fauci is 1000x better than anything else we've got going. My God, criticizing there? Seriously? You think that's the issue we have related to this pandemic?

If you want to continue the political nature of the discussion, feel free, but take it to the Barber Shop. I definitely won't be joining it.

Rupp's Runt

The only thing consistent has been inconsistency by both sides IMO

A 27-year old pitcher with the Red Sox (Rodriguez) had the virus but now is suffering heart issues and will miss this season do it does happen

Oops: the link did mention that. My bad

Then we should have cancelled football all together when the first player committed suicide because of CTE? Did they cancel it? Asking a friend ?

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

COVID 19 is so new we don’t know the effects.

This makes it very difficult to make decisions. We have worked from home and basically sheltered in place there is concern about getting it and an equal worry of spreading it to others.

Football is a dangerous and violent sport that makes a lot of revenue. But COVID 19’os the unknown.

This makes everyone more nervous and unsure.

Dr.Fauci said this week, if and when we have a vaccine, it could be only 50-60% effective. Let's go ahead and just cancel all sports for eternity

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    Dr.Fauci said this week, if and when we have a vaccine, it could be only 50-60% effective. Let's go ahead and just cancel all sports for eternity
    Flu shot is about that same percentage as well.. oh well.. maybe the uhm ......need to see the country collapse, maybe it will wake people up to how good we all had it at one point

How 'bout them Cats!

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

The Bible says we are NOT to live in constant fear

Three years ago my wife caught flu A, it then turned in to pneumonia, which then resulted in a mild heart attack.

Flu A which affected her respiratory system causing fluid to build up in her lungs, resulted in her developing pneumonia. Her heart began to over work to provide oxygen to the rest of her body resulting in the mild heart attack.

I’m not stating mild heart attack to minimize the severity of how ill she was. I emphasize mild heart attack because the troponin levels after the event were very low.

I imagine some flu type illnesses that effect the respiratory system could lead to long term heart issues in many patients. She made a full recovery and her heart has no apparent long term damage.... after two weeks of some very tense moments in the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    The Bible says we are NOT to live in constant fear
    But we all wisely shelter in a violent storm. A wise man avoids danger when he can. To do otherwise and say to ones self, God will deliver me from this poisonous snake if I handle it is to tempt God to act on one's behalf.
    We fear not because our faith says God will lead us away from danger. Not perform a miracle on our whim.

That's my opinion anyway.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    The only thing consistent has been inconsistency by both sides IMO
    Dr. Fauci isn’t on a side. He’s the leading health expert on pandemics and has been for two decades for multiple Presidents. This is the first time he has ever been villainized, attacked and received death threats.

Yes, circumstances change so how to deal with them has changed. But, he certainly hasn’t been the flip-flopper many have made him out to be. I’ve watched him almost every single day and he’s been incredibly consistent.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Dr. Fauci is 1000x better than anything else we've got going. My God, criticizing there? Seriously? You think that's the issue we have related to this pandemic?

If you want to continue the political nature of the discussion, feel free, but take it to the Barber Shop. I definitely won't be joining it.
    Fauci? Is he the one that doesn’t follow his own damn advice? The problem is the medical community is incapable of messaging effectively and have enabled their data to become politicized. There is no leadership from the CDC and the vacuum is filled by the politicos.

Whether the issue is to wear masks, or If it is safe to eat eggs, every medical issue has become debatable. There has been enough “science” In the public domain to carve out any position anyone wants. Leadership on the pandemic has to come from the medical community. When the dust settles the medical community in particular the CDC, will be the big losers.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    Dr. Fauci isn’t on a side. He’s the leading health expert on pandemics and has been for two decades for multiple Presidents. This is the first time he has ever been villainized, attacked and received death threats.

Yes, circumstances change so how to deal with them has changed. But, he certainly hasn’t been the flip-flopper many have made him out to be. I’ve watched him almost every single day and he’s been incredibly consistent.
    In a way he is on a "side". He's on the "medical" side, and honestly if this was only a purely medical series of decisions it would be easy.

But it's not. And having a purely medical opinion that, rightly, changes over time, also has led to a lot of policy and public relations backtracking and perceived flip flopping.

We started this with the Surgeon General and Fauci discouraging mask wearing. That just happened. At a time when in Asia everyone was grabbing a mask.

Now at that time maybe they were right, both medically and also b/c of the shortage the Chinese intentionally caused in the US market (which gets no outrage apparently).

But the best decision beyond the medical opinion would clearly have been to tell people to wear a mask if they wanted, even at that early stage, and to say they may be required in future, but right now risk is low but they can't hurt. At least then as we ramped up the requirements it isn't a reversal.

And Fauci is just a man, and he can be, and has been, wrong. that's fine, science is about being wrong, but it makes for issues when you then have to reverse course.

I wont' call it "flip flopping", as circumstances have changed over time, but I won't say he's been "consistent" either b/c he has moved around on more than one aspect of this, and I'm not convinced he knows any more than a lot of other people in this process.

Mostly he's just been promoted beyond where he should be in the process. He should be bringing a medical opinion, which doesn't consider other factors, then someone has to balance that with those other factors to draw the best policy.

Just like football. The medical opinion, pre Covid, is EASY. You ban the sport. It causes all kinds of injuries and long term health issues, they can all go into other things. Medically.

But obviously there are other factors at play, like the fact that 1,000s of these kids get to go to college, many on to a pro career, the fact that without it most all college sports are gone, etc.

So it's more than a medical decision, and so it this. Fauci's problem is people are looking to him for policy choices, and he's giving medical advice. They aren't the same thing, even in a pandemic.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Fauci? Is he the one that doesn’t follow his own damn advice? The problem is the medical community is incapable of messaging effectively and have enabled their data to become politicized. There is no leadership from the CDC and the vacuum is filled by the politicos.

Whether the issue is to wear masks, or If it is safe to eat eggs, every medical issue has become debatable. There has been enough “science” In the public domain to carve out any position anyone wants. Leadership on the pandemic has to come from the medical community. When the dust settles the medical community in particular the CDC, will be the big losers.
    Agreed.

While I have no great ax to grind with Fauci, he's the long time head of a government agency. That makes him very political while also being a doctor. That's just how it works.

As you said, they are giving policy advice and they should really be only giving medical advice. Hell, the Surgeon General early on said masks were a medical negative b/c people woudln't wear them right (he's right) and then they would take more risk taking behavior (probably also right), but now they're good medical advice.

They need to be giving medical advice, in private, to people who go out and then make policy that tries to balance that with the other factors involved.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Being inconsistent in the political arena is doom. Fauci didn’t just stick a toe in the water either, he went head first a couple of times with differing answers and results. Like you, I think he should pass on the info and let the politicos take the hit if he is wrong.

I have to wonder what would have happened if everyone, not just Trump but Pelosi, the Surgeon General, Fauci, etc. all said we should start wearing masks back in February and very early March when the question was coming up.

They ALL, all of them, dismissed it at the time, while Asian culture was getting people to do so without really even having to be told (though they were).

That's why I don't think Trump or anyone should get "the blame" on anything so far, as no one has had any great answers and they all dismissed it early (and with some reason) and the medical "experts" have been just as inconsistent as the politicians.

The only certain blame in all of this is on the Chinese, and their blame is many times over, and no one seems to care too much about it.

Rupp's Runt

Never said he was on a side or a flip flopper. But he has had some inconsistencies this time, has injected his opinion wrongly a few times, and has had a chance to answer some questions and not done so. I'm not bashing him more than any other person but he seems to have played politics more this time. I wear a mask, will continue to wear a mask. Do I think they help? No, not really. Do I want to be wrong with two girls at home with lung troubles? Heck no, so I wear the mask.

However, Trump has been worse and picked a dumb battle to go extreme on.

Democrats are playing it to their advantage.

And Andy can stop blaming us for his bad economy.

This is one for Grandma wisdom. If you point a finger, you have 3 pointing back at you. There is pleny of blame to go around on this one. No need to pretend anyone person has had the answers.

Its also the first time he has been so public. 2 yrs ago, 99% of the citizen of this nation did not know his name or could pick him out of a line up. Even during H1N1, where 60,000,000 citizen of this country were infected, Fauci was pretty much a non-entity. He was kept in the background where the administration could take his advice or not without public criticism. Then medical advice was advice used to make policy and not gospel used by opponents to force actions. Now he is a pawn, used by both sides, but his congressional testimony was fairly enlightening
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.