Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Re: Explosion in Beirut today......

I posted on the "front porch" but nobody has responded.

I am putting money on Iran being involved, but that is a hunch.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Something like that doesn’t happen by accident...

Explosion in Beirut today......

Just heard on the news there was a major fire at a warehouse that stored fireworks before the blast was heard, but they’re still not sure what caused the blast. At least 60 dead, and 3000 injured. They said the blast could be heard as far away as Cyprus, on the other side of the Mediterranean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

The video shown on the news is pretty spectacular.
    Before the actual explosion there was a huge plume of smoke rising from somewhere near the explosion. And then the explosion........my goodness.

This video seems to show several small explosions near the ground in the smoke just before the main explosion goes off

https://twitter.com/borzou/status/12...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Explosion in Beirut today......

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    This video seems to show several small explosions near the ground in the smoke just before the main explosion goes off

https://twitter.com/borzou/status/12...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
    You can see fireworks exploding through the smoke which follows the report of the fireworks warehouse being of fire before explosion... that’s one big boom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I read that the explosion was caused by fireworks setting off Ammonium Nitrate or Sodium Nitrate. That would be consistent with the huge "RED" plume of smoke.

Ammonium nitrate alone will not explode nor will it burn. In a fire it will melt but not burn. The only way to make it part of a bomb is to mix it with an organic material such as diesel fuel, ground walnut hulls, etc. It also takes a blasting cap, 1/2 stick of dynamite, etc to make the mixture go boom

A pile of ammonium nitrate that has been sitting in a warehouse for 6 years will have turned into a solid block of material and is not very dangerous. It would take a lot of effort to make a solid pile go boom. It would not happen by accident.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

That is my opinion as well. It’s explosive with help.
    Ammonium nitrate alone will not explode nor will it burn. In a fire it will melt but not burn. The only way to make it part of a bomb is to mix it with an organic material such as diesel fuel, ground walnut hulls, etc. It also takes a blasting cap, 1/2 stick of dynamite, etc to make the mixture go boom

A pile of ammonium nitrate that has been sitting in a warehouse for 6 years will have turned into a solid block of material and is not very dangerous. It would take a lot of effort to make a solid pile go boom. It would not happen by accident.

“a pile of fertilizer just blew up”.

2,750 tons I read.
    Last edited by kingcat; 08-05-2020 at 09:59 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Wow...you want to see some video. The person who filmed this reported died in the explosion at the end

https://www.facebook.com/MuhammadNaj...2402044564520/
    Last edited by Doc; 08-06-2020 at 06:47 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Yeah, fertilizer often levels city blocks just by sitting there. Esp. if you store it in diesel fuel and give your 14 year old pyro kid blasting caps to play with at the warehouse.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

That is exactly right Dan. I used to do some blasting on strip mines and on a couple jobs, we mixed our own blasting agent. We had a barrel of diesel fuel with one of the old crank hand pumps. Six cranks of diesel to a hundred lb. bag of Green Charger ammonium nitrate would make it go boom. Otherwise, it was a dud.

Rupp's Runt

Did you hear what he said about halfway through the video? He said, in English, that this was the Beirut airport. And then laughed.
    I don't find any humor in that at all. None.
    And I'm sure the families of that October 1983 attack against our Marines & Sailors that died that day wouldn't either.

Everybody in the Middle East is a comedian when it comes to killing Americans. 😠

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    2,750 tons I read.
    2750 tons of that stuff? No, this was intentionally done. There's no other conclusion a reasonable person could come to, given what it takes to make it into an explosive device.