Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Is ammunition becoming more available?

Re: Is ammunition becoming more available?

I received an email alert that some .223 was in stock, by the time I read the email it had sold out.

Prices from FB at Border’s in Ashland. 380ACP $18.99 & 40S&W $19.99 per 50. 9mm FMJ $65.99 per 200 round box. 22LR $26.99 per 500 round box. All of it is Winchester, so it is name brand stuff. I’m in Ashland today, so I may stop by and see what else they have.

Fair prices.

If you find someone willing to sell 9mm in 1K blocks for a decent price let me know. I'll take all they have.

I thought about going shooting this past holiday, but my Uzi chews up way too much ammo for the current climate. Thinking a nice game of billiards instead.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Is ammunition becoming more available?

Reasonable prices.

I'm near Hoover Tactical today at an eye appointment, and when I'm done I'll stop in there. I doubt they'll have anything but I'll check.

I opted not to stop to see what else they had, the wife ran into Walmart and that chewed up a lot of time. That shop always seems to have ammo, sometimes they have to price it a bit higher because of the wholesale prices being jacked up, but they try to keep it on the shelf. I’ve bought quite a bit of my 9mm there.

No good news from Hoover Tactical. Nothing for the general public in 22, 38, 40, 9 mm or 45.

I don't have anything that use 223 but I saw some boxes for 29.99, I think of 20? 55 grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    No good news from Hoover Tactical. Nothing for the general public in 22, 38, 40, 9 mm or 45.

I don't have anything that use 223 but I saw some boxes for 29.99, I think of 20? 55 grain.
    That’s a big price for .223.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    That’s a big price for .223.
    And the shelves nearly bare of that. Depressing.

Hopefully Bass Pro Shop will be better.

Simmons here locally has been my go-to... It's in Bessemer, not convenient at all (near Bright Star Restaurant, a local legend), but they've had good supply and reasonable enough prices when others don't. I may have to break down and drive there.

Man, I thought I hit the lottery tonight. I was looking at Cabelas website and ran across the Winchester white box 9 mm, 100 rounds, $24.99. It seemed to be in stock on my phone, and I threw four boxes in the cart quickly. At the same time, I logged on the computer site and it showed it was out of stock for home delivery or for store delivery (as Keith mentioned, Bass Pro shop and Cabelas are owned by the same company now and store delivery includes the Bass Pro shop here in Leeds). Anyway, although the computer showed it out of stock, the phone/mobile version continue to show it in stock and I entered home delivery first, seeing that there was a $20 delivery charge, I changed it to delivery in-store for pickup. I'd rather do that anyway. Anyhow, it took my credit card information and got to the very end before it told me that it had insufficient inventory.

I went back and dropped it to two boxes, and now I am getting the same out of stock message as is shown on the computer. I tried one box, and the same out of stock message is also shown. I don't know if there was a slight window of opportunity that I missed out on, or, more likely, some minor mobile glitch that made it appear to have inventory when it did not. If I get bored tomorrow, I may take a ride out there and see what they have.

Man, I thought I hit the lottery tonight. I was looking at Cabelas website and ran across the Winchester white box 9 mm, 100 rounds, $24.99. It seemed to be in stock on my phone, and I threw four boxes in the cart quickly. At the same time, I logged on the computer site and it showed it was out of stock for home delivery or for store delivery (as Keith mentioned, Bass Pro shop and Cabelas are owned by the same company now and store delivery includes the Bass Pro shop here in Leeds). Anyway, although the computer showed it out of stock, the phone/mobile version continue to show it in stock and I entered home delivery first, seeing that there was a $20 delivery charge, I changed it to delivery in-store for pickup. I'd rather do that anyway. Anyhow, it took my credit card information and got to the very end before it told me that it had insufficient inventory.

I went back and dropped it to two boxes, and now I am getting the same out of stock message as is shown on the computer. I tried one box, and the same out of stock message is also shown. I don't know if there was a slight window of opportunity that I missed out on, or, more likely, some minor mobile glitch that made it appear to have inventory when it did not. If I get bored tomorrow, I may take a ride out there and see what they have.
    That’s the same issue I ran into when I Thought I found some in stock. Last time I was in Cabelas the guy at the gun counter told me their website is slow to update availability.

Rupp's Runt

If it's any consolation, I have plenty of ammo, and no, none of it is for sale.
    That is all! Carry on! 😉

No "real" gun guy ever has enough ammo.

I thought I was good on some categories, but after this year's lunacy I'm raising the bar.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    No "real" gun guy ever has enough ammo.

I thought I was good on some categories, but after this year's lunacy I'm raising the bar.
    I am that guy that will take the ammo off of the dead guy and thank him for dying so that I can take it.
    When in Rome, roll like the Romans. 😎

No hand gun ammo at Bass Pro Shop in person, either. Took a break after Tulane blew their football game to go for a drive, and ended up here.

They had some Winchester 223, 40 grain varmint load for, $20.99, still more than $1/round.

Unless I find a unicorn, I'm done for months, I think. Hopefully at some point supply will catch up.

I got an email from GunBroker that they had ammunition in stock. I clicked on 9mm and this is the first thing that came up.

Like I said, I am completely done unless I find a unicorn, until supply catches up with demand. For all I know, that may be years. I will not be doing any target shooting, which is a shame because that is needed.Screenshot_20200920-142858.jpg

I may go to my go to place Monday in Bessemer. I'm not going to be in the neighborhood or anything, but I will be about halfway there and closer than I am 90% of the time. If they have any more 9 mm for the same price I bought it at last time, I'll pick up my last supply for now. I really would like to have about 500 more rounds for practice purposes for the next 6 months or so but beggars can't be choosers.

I might pick up another box of 2 of 45 as well, although I think I'm okay on that. I only have one handgun that is 45, and it uses 6 round magazines, so I use it for particular purposes. The only high capacity handgun I have is a 9 mm , so that's why I would like to have more of it.

Simmons has 1000 rounds of 5.56 for $699.

They did a Facebook video Saturday and one of the customers posted that in the comments. There were several comments asking when they were going to get in 9mm, so I won't be going today after all.

Simmons has 1000 rounds of 5.56 for $699.

They did a Facebook video Saturday and one of the customers posted that in the comments. There were several comments asking when they were going to get in 9mm, so I won't be going today after all.
    Right now it looks like most places are $15+ for 5.56/.223 in 20 round boxes, so if you want a thousand rounds and want it now that is about the going rate I am seeing. If you are willing to back order it is a lot cheaper, but the back order dates are mostly in November.

I got an email from GunBroker that they had ammunition in stock. I clicked on 9mm and this is the first thing that came up.

Like I said, I am completely done unless I find a unicorn, until supply catches up with demand. For all I know, that may be years. I will not be doing any target shooting, which is a shame because that is needed.Screenshot_20200920-142858.jpg
    Just for the heck of it, I went back to look at these...at $0.60 a round, definitely more than I want to spend. But I found myself looking...unfortunately (fortunately?) they were out of it (again). Again, I put myself on the email list for when it gets back in stock.

Just checked sgammo.com for kicks. Site is down "for a few hours" due to overwhelming order volume.

I have to assume gun ranges are hurting b/c I can't imagine anyone using up their ammo right now.

Just checked sgammo.com for kicks. Site is down "for a few hours" due to overwhelming order volume.

I have to assume gun ranges are hurting b/c I can't imagine anyone using up their ammo right now.
    I went to Hoover Tactical the other day that has the indoor range. It was deserted.

I don’t know how they can have an overwhelming volume of orders. They have had nearly no inventory. The last time I checked their site over the weekend they had no 9mm in stock and only one or two types of 5.56/.223 that was about $700 a thousand. Other pistol calibers were about like the 9mm.

That confused me as well. Maybe they got an order in was my only guess, or they have no inventory and decided to just take a big coffee break. lol

Just fwiw, here's an article on the shortage, why there's a shortage (multiple reasons), how long it is expected to continue, etc.

Cliff note summary - expect 12 months for full inventory to return, 24 months for prices to return. (And that's assuming no zombie apocalypse).

Article from July - Why is the ammo gone?

https://www-recoilweb-com.cdn.amppro...ne-162059.html

I took a flyer and bought a few hundred more rounds of 9 mm from Optic Planets online. I know they have a very hit-or-miss reputation, but most of the time they seem to come through, just very very slow.

It is supposed to take about 30 days to get to me, but with free shipping, Winchester 115 grain at $0.32 a round, I thought it was worth it.

Thinking of getting some Makarov. Hadn't planned on stocking it but I have a couple of Makarov pistols and I can get some.

I took a flyer and bought a few hundred more rounds of 9 mm from Optic Planets online. I know they have a very hit-or-miss reputation, but most of the time they seem to come through, just very very slow.

It is supposed to take about 30 days to get to me, but with free shipping, Winchester 115 grain at $0.32 a round, I thought it was worth it.
    Their prices aren’t bad, especially with the free shipping.

Thinking of getting some Makarov. Hadn't planned on stocking it but I have a couple of Makarov pistols and I can get some.
    A month ago 9x18 was available most places online, but Makarov and CZ pistols are up into the $400-$450 range.

Just took stock of what I have.

I'm fine with 9mm target and self-defense. Better in 30 days, but ok now.

I'm ok with 45 target and self-defense. Bigger need there is self-defense, and have plenty for what I have.

I'm ok with 38. I have a couple of S&W 640s, and have plenty for them, with even "some" self-defense for carry.

I have well more .22 than I thought I had. I only have one .22 handgun with a single stack magazine, and only one of those. I guess I need a 10/22 or other .22 rifle. And more magazines. I may need to see if my brother has a .22 rifle he isn't using. He has long guns, I have handguns. He's a hunter, I'm not. Maybe I can trade him my old beat up 16 gauge single shot shotgun for an old, beat up .22 rifle.

Like Chuck said, you can't have too much ammunition. I'm still not entirely comfortable with just randomly going to the shooting range with what I have, and with the anticipated shortage lasting longer.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 09-22-2020 at 04:48 PM.

I'm increasingly not fine with what I have. I don't expect prices to come down much, but hoping in 1-2 months that things temper some, but now with RBG dying and what looks like hardcore, hardball politics coming for months that we'll see more protests and coverage of same, which leads to more ammo shortages.

I imagine by most people's standards I'm "fine", but I'm not feeling fine about it. lol.