Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Is ammunition becoming more available?

Re: Is ammunition becoming more available?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Shoot! Close!

I'll start trying to check there too.
    If you have a local store find out when they get their trucks in. The guys at the Lexington store told me last Friday to check back on Saturday morning, so their trucks must arrive late Friday or early Saturday. I can’t justify a 180 mile round trip just to pick up ammo, at least not in the amounts they are likely to allow.

Is ammunition becoming more available?

I don't have a Cabela's, but I do have a Bass Pro Shop here. It's not terribly close to where I live, but I get out there occasionally and will check.

I don't have a Cabela's, but I do have a Bass Pro Shop here. It's not terribly close to where I live, but I get out there occasionally and will check.
    They are basically the same store, same prices, same store brands.

Went into the nearby Dunham’s yesterday. They had a nice stock of 40 S&W, and some 7.62x39 and some overpriced .22LR. No 9mm or .223/5.56.

Stopped at a gun shop to check on the availability of the elusive semi auto home defense shotgun. Checked their ammo prices. FMJ 9mm was priced at $17.99 and $18.99 a box. They had .223/5.56 FMJ at $18.99 and $19.99 for a 20 round box, ten round stripped clips and bagged Federal for $9.99. I passed on those prices, as I’ve been paying a lot less for both and Federal’s website still has .223 listed at the msrp price of $13.99 per box of 20. Still awaiting my Federal order from August 19th, they said on the website there are 12-15 day backlogs when I ordered it, today makes day 17, so hopefully it ships soon.

Keith, was the 9mm a standard 50 round box, 0.36-0.38 per round?

Keith, was the 9mm a standard 50 round box, 0.36-0.38 per round?
    Yes, all of it was 50 round boxes. The $18.99 boxes were Geco, I bought two boxes of it at the Winchester Rural King for $13.99 a box two weeks ago. Compared to Cheaper than Dirt those are probably bargain prices.

The $17.99 boxes were reloaded HP, and not FMJ.

One positive note is that the shop had more ammo than it had the last few times I was in there.
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 09-05-2020 at 04:43 PM.

Maybe that's a good sign. Thanks for the updates. I'll try to get by next week and contribute.

Maybe that's a good sign. Thanks for the updates. I'll try to get by next week and contribute.
    I don’t know if their prices have resulted in less purchases, or if people have stocked up and slowed their buying. I suspect it may be the former. A gun shop half a mile down the road has better pricing at $16.99 for 9mm and $14.99 for the .223/5.56.

Rupp's Runt

I am going through stuff here at the house in preparation for our move to our new house.
    I just found about a thousand rounds of 9 mm that I had accumulated at different times throughout the last several years.
    And some .40 S&W. And some 7.62 x 39, and also several thousand rounds of 5.56 mm.
    I am so fortunate! 😉

Rupp's Runt

And some .357 magnum & .38 special rounds too! 👍

I am actually thinking of reducing my various caliber requirements because of the ammunition issues, including storage. 9mm always seemed a likely compromise, big pistol, little pistol, carbine. And .22 of course has subsonic in addition to regular LR. But then I like wheel guns too, especially my little .38/357 Kimber hammerless for wandering around snake and varmit country. And let's face it, after watching various real life situations lately on you tube, I am thinking a .45 might be a better choice than 9mm for big pistol. Then there's various shotguns from 410 and up. So nah I guess I've talked myself out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I am going through stuff here at the house in preparation for our move to our new house.
    I just found about a thousand rounds of 9 mm that I had accumulated at different times throughout the last several years.
    And some .40 S&W. And some 7.62 x 39, and also several thousand rounds of 5.56 mm.
    I am so fortunate! ��
    Good fire protection is a must at your household
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Good fire protection is a must at your household
    Uh, YEAH! 😉

I should have bought up 9mm when I got my others. I have some, but would have bought a bunch more had I thought about it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I should have bought up 9mm when I got my others. I have some, but would have bought a bunch more had I thought about it.
    I’ve managed to collect about a thousand rounds of 9mm since I bought my Glock in April. Prices varied from 21 to 28 cents a round for FMJ. I got a 20 round box of Speer HP for self defense that was higher, but at $17.50 was still pretty reasonable.

5.56 on the other hand hasn’t been as easy to locate, at something resembling a reasonable price. The shop I was in the other day had a nice little jag on hand, but $1 a round for 5.56 is too high. I placed an order with Federal on August 19th, and I’m still waiting on it. I’d feel a lot better with that stash if I had a thousand or two thousand rounds, preferably at reasonable prices.

I don’t keep much revolver ammo on hand, that may be a hole I need to fill in 2021.

My Federal order that I submitted on August 19th finally shipped today, should arrive on Monday.

I got an email from RK Guns (Rural King). They had .223 Winchester on sale for $429.99 for a 1000 round case. They sold must have sold out really quick, the website doesn’t show them in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    My Federal order that I submitted on August 19th finally shipped today, should arrive on Monday.

I got an email from RK Guns (Rural King). They had .223 Winchester on sale for $429.99 for a 1000 round case. They sold must have sold out really quick, the website doesn’t show them in stock.
    I received the order today, five days short of a month after I ordered it. The boxes the ammo was packaged in were white generic looking boxes with black print, not the normal colorful Federal boxes. I’ve noticed that most of the gun shops are selling Federal ammo repackaged into plastic bags from bulk boxes. I may be wrong, but it certainly appears that packaging materials aren’t able to keep up with demand.

I have also noticed that 9mm isn’t available for back order on most sites at this time. A lot of the supply is pre-sold for the next several months, which will drive up street prices for what is hitting the shops.

Big box stores may be your best option. Academy is apparently still getting regular shipments, unfortunately for me the Louisville store is over two hours away. Cabelas in Lexington is also getting ammo in, but it sells out fast. If you live in an area near a big box store talk to the guys at the gun counters to find out when their trucks run.

I need to take my car to the dealer for a recall on paint. It probably won't be this week, but it might be. Anyway, it is halfway to the Bass Pro shop and when I do I will go there and check.

I need to take my car to the dealer for a recall on paint. It probably won't be this week, but it might be. Anyway, it is halfway to the Bass Pro shop and when I do I will go there and check.
    You can look online for some stuff and have it ready to pick up at Bass Pro. What they have listed online doesn’t always match the stores, but usually if it says you can buy online it is available.

Remington 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
    American Eagle 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
    Federal 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
    Winchester white box 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
    Blazer 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
    Winchester (Train & Defend) 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
    Federal American Eagle Syntech 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
    Sig FMJ 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery

I'll still stop by and see if online just doesn't have everything. That wasn't all of them, but I think it was all of the non-person defense 9mm they had. I didn't check any other calibers.

Remington 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
    American Eagle 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
    Federal 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
    Winchester white box 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
    Blazer 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
    Winchester (Train & Defend) 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
    Federal American Eagle Syntech 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
    Sig FMJ 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery

I'll still stop by and see if online just doesn't have everything. That wasn't all of them, but I think it was all of the non-person defense 9mm they had. I didn't check any other calibers.
    A couple of weeks ago the Cabelas site had the Winchester white box in stock, so I attempted to place an order. It let me place items in the cart, but each time I went to checkout it would tell me the quantity wasn’t available. It goes quick when it is available.

Uhh, no thanks.

This may end up being the going rate, but I'm not buying at that price.Screenshot_20200915-164021__01.jpgScreenshot_20200915-164011__01.jpg

Wow! SGAMMO must be awfully proud of that ammo. The last 9mm I bought about three weeks ago was $13.99 for a 50 round box. Week before last I saw it for $16.99 in a small shop, thought that was too high for my taste.

Depends on how bad you want to hold off the millennial numskulls, er.... zombies....

They've got some .22 listed for $50 a box, some as high as $100 a box of 500.

I didn't lay in as much 9mm as I would like, but I did lay in some 22 before this went nuts. When the price comes down to normal I'm going on a big buy.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Well, I paid $0.42 a round for the last 9mm couple boxes I bought. That's more than I'd like to pay, but I felt like it was going to be a decent price, all things considered (no shipping, from local store, etc.). So I'm paying more than the $0.30-$0.35 I'd like to pay. But I'm not paying $0.60.

Well, I paid $0.42 a round for the last 9mm couple boxes I bought. That's more than I'd like to pay, but I felt like it was going to be a decent price, all things considered (no shipping, from local store, etc.). So I'm paying more than the $0.30-$0.35 I'd like to pay. But I'm not paying $0.60.
    I may pick up a couple more boxes if I can get it for around 40 cents or less a round. I’d like to get a little more trigger time in on the targets before November rolls around.
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 09-15-2020 at 07:44 PM.

You're an attorney. Bill it back as client research or something.

Then deduct it as office supplies.

lol! Good ideas!

Rupp's Runt

I like how you guys improvise, adapt, and overcome.
    But then, you're my people, and that's how we roll! 😉 👍