Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Rupp's Runt

Re: Is ammunition becoming more available?

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Don't send him there. You never know when a Syrian vs Turkey fire fight might break out.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk
    Have not lived in KY since the early 80's. May I ask for a little insight into the above referenced comment, please?

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Have not lived in KY since the early 80's. May I ask for a little insight into the above referenced comment, please?
    Here you go:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/b...gun-range.html

What’s funny about the use of that video was all the people at the bottom of the frame recording with their phones.

Is ammunition becoming more available?

That is hysterical.

Rupp's Runt

Thank you!
    I know about Knob Creek, have been there several times in the past.
    However, I did not know about this blunder by ABC. But I'm not surprised, considering what passes for journalism these days.
    Thanks again for laying out the context! I appreciate you! 👍

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Thank you!
    I know about Knob Creek, have been there several times in the past.
    However, I did not know about this blunder by ABC. But I'm not surprised, considering what passes for journalism these days.
    Thanks again for laying out the context! I appreciate you! ��
    My pleasure

Btw, KentuckyWildcat, 7.62x39 is still available. It’s gone up a bit, but is still out there in the 40-45 cents a round range.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Btw, KentuckyWildcat, 7.62x39 is still available. It’s gone up a bit, but is still out there in the 40-45 cents a round range.
    Thanks. Actually picked up 2 boxes today

Thanks. Actually picked up 2 boxes today

If AR uppers were more available I’d be tempted to have an AR built in 7.62x39. I like the round, it isn’t a long range round, but it has good knock down ability for its size.

Rupp's Runt

This also worked for me. I ordered some from Optics Planet a while back. It was out of stock, but they said they would fill the order when it came in. Probably 6-8 weeks later it came and I was not charged until then. This is my only experience with Optics Planet but it worked out.

Rupp's Runt

If AR uppers were more available I’d be tempted to have an AR built in 7.62x39. I like the round, it isn’t a long range round, but it has good knock down ability for its size.
    If you get that urge, look into the KS-47 from PSA. I love mine. Not a true AR but it takes AK mags instead of those modified mags. I think you are in Kentucky, but not sure where? If you are ever near Muhlenberg you are welcome to shoot it.

Wow. I paid .21 for my spam cans at the start of this and that was a bit high.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Sounds like all ammunition is going to be price hiked for a good while. I have no idea of the capacity, but I wish I had an ammunition factory right about now. Obviously they can sell whatever they make.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Sounds like all ammunition is going to be price hiked for a good while. I have no idea of the capacity, but I wish I had an ammunition factory right about now. Obviously they can sell whatever they make.
    Looking that way.

If all hell breaks loose I think I have enough to survive until I can confiscate more.

But now I wish I'd laid in even more. Don't we all?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Looking that way.

If all hell breaks loose I think I have enough to survive until I can confiscate more.

But now I wish I'd laid in even more. Don't we all?
    I've had no real desire to go down to the shooting range. Until now, when I see that the target ammo I would shoot has become difficult to obtain. Funny how it works that way.

If I could find some old time less than $0.30 around 9 mm, I would buy several times what I have right now, which I think is sufficient for me. But I'm not wanting to go "waste" any of it currently. So, yeah, absolutely I wish I had bought more back when.

Wow. I paid .21 for my spam cans at the start of this and that was a bit high.
    Aim Surplus has some Wolf for about 27 cents a round right now, plus whatever shipping is for them.

Aim Surplus has some Wolf for about 27 cents a round right now, plus whatever shipping is for them.
    I may buy some more. I need more 9mm but that's too high for volume right now.

BTW as a dealer I have accounts with 3-4 different wholesalers. First, I typically get it as cheap or cheaper even regularly with the online stores, and right now it's FAR cheaper than the wholesalers, if it's available with them at all. I get ads pushing their non-standard stuff b/c that's not moving too fast, mostly less used hunting rifle calibers, but forget the main calibers.

I may buy some more. I need more 9mm but that's too high for volume right now.

BTW as a dealer I have accounts with 3-4 different wholesalers. First, I typically get it as cheap or cheaper even regularly with the online stores, and right now it's FAR cheaper than the wholesalers, if it's available with them at all. I get ads pushing their non-standard stuff b/c that's not moving too fast, mostly less used hunting rifle calibers, but forget the main calibers.
    The cheaper stuff has gone way up. Just about any 9mm can be resold for $14-$15 for a box of 50 now. My wife called from a local gun/pawnshop late last week, she found some 9mm at $29.95/100. I didn’t hesitate in having her get a box at that price. I’m getting a decent little stash of 9mm built up. I’d like to pick up some .223. I didn’t have much in the stash when it became hard to get.
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 08-13-2020 at 02:12 PM.

I’ve gotten into the habit of checking out ammo prices when I can. Prices continue to climb and a lot of calibers are getting harder to find. If you need more ammo to make you feel comfortable, given the riots and other potential disorder, then purchase it when you can.

I was in Ashland on Saturday. I was at Dunham’s when they opened hoping their sale items would be available. They advertised 9mm FMJ for $10.99 per box of 50, and Federal .223 for $44.99 per box of 100; both were advertised as “assortment varies by store.“ They had nothing in stock, but the manager told me when to call back to see if it is on the next truck. They did have some .22 LR in stock, but not the 525 bulk box that was on sale for $22.99.

I stopped at Borders’ Sporting Goods after that. They had Federal Lake City 5.56 for $14.99/20. This ammo was in plastic bags, and the girl at the cash register was counting it out from what looked like maybe a 640 round box and bagging it. The price may seem steep, but I’ve been seeing bulk Federal ammo at nearly $700/1000. The Federal 9mm FMJ I got for $12.99 a few weeks ago is now priced at $16.99. I broke down and purchased a few packages of the 5.56; they had it and I didn’t. I’ve got a decent stash of 9mm, so passed on it.

Rural King had a nice stock of 12 gauge target loads, just as about every other box store has. They had no pistol rounds of any kind, and no .223/5.56. They did have 40 round boxes of 7.62x39 FMJ for $7.99. I grabbed a box of it for my SKS. 7.62x39 remains available, I see it on shelves with varying prices. They had some .22LR as well, I believe it was Aguila for $4.99/50.

Later in the day I bought a 20 round box of 9mm JHP Sig V-Crown at a local shop for $18. 90 cents a round for quality self defense ammo was a good price months ago. They also had 7.62x39 on the shelf, I passed on another box of it. I need to see how many I have on hand. I like the 7.62x39 round, it is a good multipurpose round for defense, plinking, varmints, and using hollow points the round has killed a lot of deers since the SKS hit the shelves for less than $100 30 or so years ago.

If you are in the market for a handgun and you want it right now your best option may be a Walther p22, Glock 44 or a similar semiautomatic that takes .22 LR ammo. The ammo is still available, relatively cheap, and you can buy some higher end .22 LR rounds that have better ballistics than chucking rocks at someone trying to harm you.

There are some shotguns available out there, just not many of the home defense variety with shorter barrels. If you look you can find some decent rounds of 00 buckshot, slugs, #4 buck, or if you need lots of rounds the target loads and bird loads are out there in good supply.

If you want a handgun and ammo to feed it your best bet may be to check out small shops, a lot of times they will hold ammo off the shelves so they can supply buyers with a box of ammo when they make a sale, big box stores don’t do this.

Update: Dunham’s truck was running late, so it was this morning before everything was unpacked. They didn’t receive any of the Federal .223, which was a huge disappointment. They did receive a case of 9mm, but since they got in so little they were choosing to limit it to one box per customer. I could have taken my wife with me and possibly have snatched a couple of boxes, but a special trip to Ashland would eat up the bulk of the savings.

Borders in Ashland received a pallet of Federal .223 FMJ in 400 round ammo boxes and are selling it for $299.99 a box. At 75 cents a round this is higher than what I can order it directly from Federal at http://www.federalpremium.com/. I went ahead and placed an order for some Federal. Given the current state of things I figured paying a little more and having it on hand would be better than needing it and not having it.

I sure hope you get the shipment from Federal before first of the year. I ordered a single shot .410 from a local dealer first week of June and they showed me on their computer screen that the wholesaler had 2 of them in stock and they ordered both of them. They and me are still waiting on them to arrive.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I sure hope you get the shipment from Federal before first of the year. I ordered a single shot .410 from a local dealer first week of June and they showed me on their computer screen that the wholesaler had 2 of them in stock and they ordered both of them. They and me are still waiting on them to arrive.
    My son-in-law bought one of the Rossi single shots around Father’s Day to use as a truck/ATV gun. Rural King had them in stock, as does Bud’s.

My Federal order processed through my bank account over night, that should mean my order is ready to ship.

Rupp's Runt

I'd like to get a 410 for my wife. She has never shot a gun, but I feel like that would be a good starter.

I'd like to get a 410 for my wife. She has never shot a gun, but I feel like that would be a good starter.
    My 8 year old grandson has no issues with the .410, but loves shooting .22LR rifles and single action revolvers.

RK is out of stock as is Buds in Lexington and Greenville. They do have at least one in Seviervlle, TN though. I wanted a cheap one and this one sure fits the bill. Want to cut the 28 inch barrel down to 19 inches.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

RK is out of stock as is Buds in Lexington and Greenville.
    I refer to it as Uncle Bud's now. It will never be Uncle Lee's!

Rupp's Runt

My 8 year old grandson has no issues with the .410, but loves shooting .22LR rifles and single action revolvers.
    Met in her 2002 and last year I finally got her to shoot a take down bow. Progress at least. I figure in another 10 years I might get her to shoot a gun.

RK is out of stock as is Buds in Lexington and Greenville. They do have at least one in Seviervlle, TN though. I wanted a cheap one and this one sure fits the bill. Want to cut the 28 inch barrel down to 19 inches.
    The little Rossi the SIL bought has a very short barrel on it, 18.5 inches. Here is what he got, it can be ordered and sent to your local RK: https://www.rkguns.com/rossi-tuffy-s...4111813od.html
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 08-21-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Cabelas had Winchester white box 9mm for $12.99 today. I tried to place an order, got to the confirm order part and it was out of stock.

Cabelas had Winchester white box 9mm for $12.99 today. I tried to place an order, got to the confirm order part and it was out of stock.
    Shoot! Close!

I'll start trying to check there too.