Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Re: Is ammunition becoming more available?

I bought my first .223 since last fall. $12.99 per 20 round box at Rural King. Boxes are labeled Igman, the ammo is made in Bosnia. I’ve been seeing it online for as low as the 50 cents a round area, but shipping boosted that price if you aren’t ordering enough to qualify for free shipping.

Online prices for steel ammo have increased quite a bit since the announcement of the Russian ammo sanctions. .223 steel cased starts at 40 cents a round, 7.62x39 starts at 45 cents a round, and 9mm 32 cents a round.

Retail prices in my area for 9mm are still 40 cents or more per round.
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 08-30-2021 at 07:01 PM.

Is ammunition becoming more available?

I have received three orders from Optics Planet now, all at the original price from last year, significantly less than current price.

Winchester white box 9mm, CCI 9mm brass, and Federal 45 ACP.

Still have a few more orders pending. They send an email each time advising that it is in stock, and asking if I still want it. If they do not receive a response within 14 days they cancel the sale, so if you ordered a year ago, be on the lookout for emails. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I have received three orders from Optics Planet now, all at the original price from last year, significantly less than current price.

Still have a few more orders pending. They send an email each time advising that it is in stock, and asking if I still want it. If they do not receive a response within 14 days they cancel the sale, so if you ordered a year ago, be on the lookout for emails. You might be pleasantly surprised.
    Who is this new poster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post

I’d like some more 9mm at last fall’s prices. It’s hard to find FMJ 115 grain for less than $20 a 50 round box right now. Self defense loads are a better buy right now.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Who is this new poster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He seems to be a drive by poster. Drops in to brag about ammo and his pics with attractive sideline reporters.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    He seems to be a drive by poster. Drops in to brag about ammo and his pics with attractive sideline reporters.

Should I ban sheit?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Should I ban sheit?
    I say we give him one more chance...one more...

Rupp's Runt

My wife's cousin and I went shooting this past weekend. I had to re-zero my red dot on my rifle because it had somehow worked loose. Used blue Loctite on it, and that seemed to do the trick.
    We went to Shooters World in Orlando. Shot about 250 rounds of 5.56 mm and about 300 rounds of 9 mm.
    There were a lot of people there practicing their shooting skills. A lot of people.

I am NOT by any means a Glock fan, never have been mostly because of the Euro cant of the grip on the first 3-4 generations of the Glock pistols. That said, however, I really do like the 5th Gen Model 45 in 9 mm that the Sheriff's Office issued to us and that the Sheriff gave me as a retirement present. It fits in my hand perfectly, the recoil is very manageable, it is accurate, and it has a very smooth trigger, as far as Glock triggers go. Not at all gritty like most Glock triggers. Overall, I am actually growing kind of fond of this particular Glock.
    MOLON LABE!

A lot of people like the angle on the Gen 5 better. It is more in keeping with more American gun designs. Does your model have the swappable grips? It's also an oddity of Glock that they at one time had no options for such a thing and still have limited options. On an old S&W you can do about anything you want for example.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    A lot of people like the angle on the Gen 5 better. It is more in keeping with more American gun designs. Does your model have the swappable grips? It's also an oddity of Glock that they at one time had no options for such a thing and still have limited options. On an old S&W you can do about anything you want for example.
    Yes, the grip angle is American style, for sure. And yes, it comes with changeable backstraps, of which I have the full beavertail on mine. It also has tritium sights, green in the rear, orange in the front. And it came with the polygonal barrel too, along with the front slide serrations.
    Very nice for a Glock. I am still a Sig guy, 100%, but this Glock is a nice gun. Shoots very sweet. Now, that said, it still doesn't erase the fact that I felt like previous editions were junk, because they were. But Glock made some really serious improvements with this handgun, probably because of the military trials for finding a new handgun for the US military. This handgun is a huge improvement over previous models, IMHO.
    MOLON LABE!

Glocks are the Honda Accord of polymer pistols. They aren’t the nicest looking or most ergonomic, but the reliability is hard to beat.

BTW, Rural King has Igman .223 and .308 FMJ ammo for $9.93/20rds. They also have some decent prices on various types of defense rounds in 9mm and .40.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Glocks are the Honda Accord of polymer pistols. They aren’t the nicest looking or most ergonomic, but the reliability is hard to beat.

BTW, Rural King has Igman .223 and .308 FMJ ammo for $9.93/20rds. They also have some decent prices on various types of defense rounds in 9mm and .40.
    Right on point with that assessment, KeithKSR.
    I didn't like them because they were not ergonomic in the way you would draw it from the holster, point it at the target, and then squeeze the trigger. I always had to tilt the front of the barrel slightly downward to achieve a true sight picture, and with the way my Dad taught me how to shoot, and when I actually started formal firearms training, that tilting forward to achieve a true sight picture just was not right to me. I absolutely despise that. And that is why I was never a Glock fan, because those first several generations of Glocks just did not allow for a true sight alignment, which can be very costly if you don't get it right in a stressful situation. Now, I know there are legions of Glock fans worldwide that don't share my point of view, but I know what works for me.
    To my point, there are many other handgun manufacturers, especially from Europe, that had/have much more ergonomic designs that give a shooter a true sight picture without tilting the handgun down to achieve a correct sight alignment. Sig Sauer, H & K, CZ, Fabrique Nationale are prime examples of what I'm saying here. If those folks could figure that out, then why did it take Glock 5 generations worth of firearms manufacturing to finally get it right?
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Right on point with that assessment, KeithKSR.
    I didn't like them because they were not ergonomic in the way you would draw it from the holster, point it at the target, and then squeeze the trigger. I always had to tilt the front of the barrel slightly downward to achieve a true sight picture, and with the way my Dad taught me how to shoot, and when I actually started formal firearms training, that tilting forward to achieve a true sight picture just was not right to me. I absolutely despise that. And that is why I was never a Glock fan, because those first several generations of Glocks just did not allow for a true sight alignment, which can be very costly if you don't get it right in a stressful situation. Now, I know there are legions of Glock fans worldwide that don't share my point of view, but I know what works for me.
    To my point, there are many other handgun manufacturers, especially from Europe, that had/have much more ergonomic designs that give a shooter a true sight picture without tilting the handgun down to achieve a correct sight alignment. Sig Sauer, H & K, CZ, Fabrique Nationale are prime examples of what I'm saying here. If those folks could figure that out, then why did it take Glock 5 generations worth of firearms manufacturing to finally get it right?
    If you learn to shoot with a Glock the grip angle is probably not going to be an issue and with it being standard LEO issue for some since the 80s it could be all some have ever shot.

Grip angle also doesn’t seem to be as much an issue with some people as it does others, I’m not sure why. I don’t pay a lot of attention to it, it may be in the way I grip pistols. When I grip a revolver I find myself having to adjust my hand more, having to raise the front of the barrel to get my sight picture.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    If you learn to shoot with a Glock the grip angle is probably not going to be an issue and with it being standard LEO issue for some since the 80s it could be all some have ever shot.

Grip angle also doesn’t seem to be as much an issue with some people as it does others, I’m not sure why. I don’t pay a lot of attention to it, it may be in the way I grip pistols. When I grip a revolver I find myself having to adjust my hand more, having to raise the front of the barrel to get my sight picture.
    I learned to shoot with a Colt 1911A1, and a Smith & Wesson Model 10. Two different handguns. And Dad taught me like he was instructed to shoot when he was in the Army, circa WWII. So when I started my formal firearms training I was told that I had a lot of bad habits, which is not necessarily true, as I was doing as I was originally taught to do. And then I learned to handgun gospel of the day, which was the Isoceles (spelling?) triangle stance and the 5 basics of handgun shooting (stance, grip, sight alignment, breathing & trigger squeeze). And later on learned of the Weaver stance, and the modified Weaver.
    There have been a lot of modifications/changes/adjustments to everything handgun related since I started shooting in the late 1960's.
    Last edited by suncat05; 10-30-2021 at 10:46 PM. Reason: added thoughts
    MOLON LABE!

Rupp's Runt

On another handgun related topic, I purchased new sights for my Sig Sauer P229. The original sights are the white dot front and the diagonal straight white line for the rear sight. I bought the XS Big Dot sights, both front and rear having tritium inside. The front is bright, bright, bright orange, while the rear is the v-shaped sight with white diagonal line.

My eyes just are not as sharp as they once were, and while I don't like admitting this, I need all of the help I can possibly get in attaining a decent sight picture. I have spent several weeks looking for the handgun sights that I thought might best help me in that endeavor, and finally decided to go with a sight that is very close to what I originally have. I purchased them from Optics Planet, and even better they were on sale WITH a rebate! It should be here sometime next week.

I like my 9 mm's, but I just have reservations about any caliber that doesn't begin with the number 4, as in .40 S&W or .45 ACP. Not that the 9's aren't reliable, because they are, but in this instance, the bigger the better.
    I have seen a lot of gunshot wounds in my law enforcement and military careers, and it is more comforting to know how much more force is generated on impact with a larger handgun caliber. Now, respectfully, this is just my own humble opinion, yours may differ.
    MOLON LABE!

.45 prices for ammo and pistols are hanging up there. I have always liked my friend’s Browning Hi-Power. Well, except it is a fearsome cannon.

Must admit I had gotten out of the habit of packin my “pew-pew” Beretta around. But lately when I go on the trails I’m back carrying. I need to run a box through it and get comfortable again. Stubby little concealed carry sight lines. Were I in the real outdoors and not just rehabbing I’d take the wheelgun.

Does your wheelgun come equipped with a trailer hitch?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    .45 prices for ammo and pistols are hanging up there. I have always liked my friend’s Browning Hi-Power. Well, except it is a fearsome cannon.
    I dated a young lady way back when whose Dad was an Army veteran of WWII. He served in the European Theater of Operations, and somehow managed to get his hands on a German Army issued Browning Hi-Power 9 mm with all of the German/Nazi markings on it. We took it out and shot it one time, and my goodness, that thing was most definitely a hand cannon! It was huge, and heavy!

I asked him how he acquired it, and he just said he "found" it, with that wry little smile that he had when there was obviously way more to the story, but like most WWII veterans, he'd never say it out loud.
    MOLON LABE!

Just received an email from OpticsPlanet that a 4th Order is being filled...15 months after I placed it. Wasn't a spectacular deal, but when they asked me if I wanted to keep it, I'm afraid to say no. Just never know these days. And I haven't checked recently, but it's $0.32 a round for Winchester white box 9mm 115 grain. If that's not a good deal in today's market, it can't be a bad deal, and I know that for sure without checking.

OK, I checked...they have it in stock now, but selling for $0.43 a round. So at least I'm saving $0.11 per round with the order. It's only 200 rounds, but it's 200 more than I have right now.

Oh--and it's the last of the orders I made with them, I think. So no more good deals until the prices drop.

9mm is hovering around 33 to 36 a round right now, brass case, boxer primed. I got some extra Winchester and Browning 9mm and the Winchester 9mm nato was just a bit over 35c.

I'm standardizing small arms on 9mm. I prefer 45acp but 9mm is much more readily available, my GF can shoot it very well (she's a trophy winning marksman, shoots small arms better than me but still a 45 has a decent amount more kick), and in carry guns like the Sigs you can carry 12+1 now, which is a hellacious amount of firepower for something inside your waist.

So I'm trying to lay in a bit more 9mm, and have been following the deals.

UPDATE: I just looked, and Blazer is selling for 29.5c at one site right this moment, and found Winchester as low as 33c.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 12-30-2021 at 06:35 PM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

CBBN, where is the Blazer at 29.5? I might be interested in more of that. Do they do free shipping?

OpticsPlanet has no Blazer in stock. Least expensive brass they offer now is what I got, but at $0.43 a round. They have some steel for $0.40.

Couple of spots right now:

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger

That's Keith's link I think originally but not positive, and is amazing at tracking ammo. The cheaper stuff is 115 gr.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Couple of spots right now:

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger

That's Keith's link I think originally but not positive, and is amazing at tracking ammo. The cheaper stuff is 115 gr.
    I'm not seeing anything with free shipping, unfortunately.

With the quantities that you or Suncat might purchase, it's OK, because it's free shipping when you reach your levels. But adding the max 5 boxes of 50 rounds of CCI brass, for example, my $73 purchase turns into $98, making it over $0.39 a round.

That's the beauty of OpticsPlanet. Free shipping. So my $0.32 a round for 200 rounds was $64 plus sales tax.

that's a good deal. I got free shipping on one of mine, on the other I was still OK with the price. But on the free one I had to order in quantity enough, and I paid more than that per round of course.

Prices are dropping. Not fast, but a bit at a time. In April I sold some 9mm at the auction for $1 a round.

Boy, it took awhile to ship, but finally arrived this afternoon.

Sad to say, I have not been shooting in the last 15 months. They say you need to go at least once a month to stay sharp, but I didn't feel comfortable depleting my stock. I am good now (nowhere near a Suncat or CitizenBBN) with 9mm, 38, 45 and 22.

I still have this concern that I won't be able to replenish though, but for now, I can probably at least get some badly needed practice in after I get out of quarantine.

Deleted. Steel case; I thought it was brass.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 01-11-2022 at 04:31 PM.

Seems more readily available in my area, but prices still high.

Fwiw, I thought all my Orders with OpticsPlanet had been filled, but I received an email this morning that said my Federal 9mm was back in stick from an order I made in 2020.

Not a great price, but 200 more rounds for 69.99 isn't bad either, I guess.