Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Re: Is ammunition becoming more available?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    This place has a lot of different AR mags that will fit your AR. I haven’t used any aluminum mags, but a lot of people speak highly of them. Most of mine are P-Mags.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/all-maga...r-15-magazines
    I have a couple of the metal mags....funny but they seem to jam more and not feed. Could just be the ones I have.

Rupp's Runt

I don't use anything except aluminum mags. I tried the Magul P-mags, they function just fine, except they won't drop freely when you hit the magazine release. You have to strip them out, which in a gunfight is a waste of precious time.
    Aluminum mags drop upon release. So that's good. But I also learned from my time in the Army that you don't load 30 rounds into a 30 round aluminum magazine. Only load 27-28 rounds, that's it.
    I have several different brands of magazines, but I have found the magazines made by Brownells to be the most favorable for my use. They're reasonably priced, mil-spec certified, sturdy & reliable.

The aluminum mags made by the companies that have military contracts have reps for working the best. He talks about the aluminum mags the last three minutes or so.

Last edited by KeithKSR; 03-25-2021 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I don't use anything except aluminum mags. I tried the Magul P-mags, they function just fine, except they won't drop freely when you hit the magazine release. You have to strip them out, which in a gunfight is a waste of precious time.
    Aluminum mags drop upon release. So that's good. But I also learned from my time in the Army that you don't load 30 rounds into a 30 round aluminum magazine. Only load 27-28 rounds, that's it.
    I have several different brands of magazines, but I have found the magazines made by Brownells to be the most favorable for my use. They're reasonably priced, mil-spec certified, sturdy & reliable.
    I never load magazines to capacity, I always leave them short a few rounds. It’s always easier to peel that first round off if it’s completely full.

Thank you. THis is very good info...and I think you hit is. I have tried to fully load them and it is....TIGHT to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Thank you. THis is very good info...and I think you hit is. I have tried to fully load them and it is....TIGHT to say the least.
    Just think of the pressure that is being placed on the feed lips of PMags and other polymer mags when it’s really tight trying to load them.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    The reason you don't fully load a 30 round magazine is because of the spring, AND the follower. Sometimes the follower will 'tilt' and not correctly feed the round into the chamber. And it also helps maintain the lifespan of the spring.
    Like I said before, a little knowledge I learned in the Army from an old school E-7 Sergeant First Class that cared about his troops and survived 2 tours in Viet Nam. And who actually liked the M-16 platform, and its variants.
    He loved the Army, and whatever he could teach us to survive in a gunfight he would. I am so fortunate to have served with men like him. And some of the things I learned from him helped me in both my Army and law enforcement careers.

Rupp's Runt

The aluminum magazines are lightweight, the feed lips are metal and therefore stronger than plastic, and are just more durable under the stresses inherent to equipment being used in combat situations.

That's not to say that P-Mags or Hexmags or any other magazines, nylon, polymer, aluminum or steel aren't good products, it's just the aluminum magazines are my preference.

The aluminum magazines are lightweight, the feed lips are metal and therefore stronger than plastic, and are just more durable under the stresses inherent to equipment being used in combat situations.

That's not to say that P-Mags or Hexmags or any other magazines, nylon, polymer, aluminum or steel aren't good products, it's just the aluminum magazines are my preference.
    Some of the old milsurp magazines can be picked up cheap enough to replace the follower with a new non tilt version. Magpul sells followers in three packs for less than $6.

Rupp's Runt

That's a good price for those followers. The springs aren't too expensive either.

Rupp's Runt

Is ammunition becoming more available?

https://www.freedommunitions.com/223...fmj-reman.html

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Rupp's Runt

I'm buying 150 rounds from a buddy of 223. $1 a round for varmint tipped. Cash so the wife won't know.

so how is shotgun ammo? I find myself in need of some and that's one that I didn't stock up on.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    so how is shotgun ammo? I find myself in need of some and that's one that I didn't stock up on.
    I've seen lots of 12 gauge. Nothing of the others.

Rupp's Runt

I went to WallyWorld a couple of days ago, all I saw available on the shelf was birdshot. Nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I've seen lots of 12 gauge. Nothing of the others.
    Still just target loads available?

Rupp's Runt

Still just target loads available?
    I've seen #4 and up. No 00 or 000 or slugs.

I've seen #4 and up. No 00 or 000 or slugs.

I hadn’t seen #4 since late last summer, maybe early in the fall.

Yeah, was afraid of that answer.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

I hadn’t seen #4 since late last summer, maybe early in the fall.
    I've not looked at the selection the last few times since I don't have a 12 gauge. But the stores around here have had a decent selection of 12 gauge ammo. Makes me want a 12 gauge. 410 on the other hand...Bought my wife a single shot and all I have is the PDX I bought with the gun. I'd like to break her in on some 2 1/2 inch birdshot.

Yeah, was afraid of that answer.
    You might have to check out Cabelas and Sportsman’s Warehouse to see what they have on the shelves. I don’t think any of the brick and mortars bother to put their inventory on the web at present.

I've not looked at the selection the last few times since I don't have a 12 gauge. But the stores around here have had a decent selection of 12 gauge ammo. Makes me want a 12 gauge. 410 on the other hand...Bought my wife a single shot and all I have is the PDX I bought with the gun. I'd like to break her in on some 2 1/2 inch birdshot.
    Those .410 2 1/2” birdshot loads have a light recoil, even in a lightweight shotgun. I let my daughter use one for a gender reveal last summer and the kids wanted to shoot it. A box of shells can evaporate fast.

You might have to check out Cabelas and Sportsman’s Warehouse to see what they have on the shelves. I don’t think any of the brick and mortars bother to put their inventory on the web at present.
    I will when I can. I don't do a lot of shopping but you never know.

If anyone sees any high velocity 00 buck, buy me up to 10,000 rounds and I'll cover it. Eventually.

I'm actually good down to a #4 give or take. And I'll settle for 5,000 rounds. Or a slingshot and some really smooth rocks at this point. Hammer with a good claw? Piece of pipe? An old bowling pin?
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 03-27-2021 at 11:27 PM.

Rupp's Runt

Just found some more ammo while going through some boxes in my garage.
    75 rounds of .38 Special. And I remember buying this ammo, because I bought it for qualification with my J-frame when I was still working for the S.O. before I retired.

Just found some more ammo while going through some boxes in my garage.
    75 rounds of .38 Special. And I remember buying this ammo, because I bought it for qualification with my J-frame when I was still working for the S.O. before I retired.
    lol. I swear, I open this thread and expect to see Suncat say, "well, I was brushing my teeth this morning, and I found another 1000 rounds of 9mm in the toothpaste."

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    lol. I swear, I open this thread and expect to see Suncat say, "well, I was brushing my teeth this morning, and I found another 1000 rounds of 9mm in the toothpaste."
    now that's farfetched.

Under the sink next to the toothpaste sure, but in it? Under the sink, behind the case of 12 gauge and the rocket launcher probably.

Rupp's Runt

now that's farfetched.

Under the sink next to the toothpaste sure, but in it? Under the sink, behind the case of 12 gauge and the rocket launcher probably.
    You guys.........😂

now that's farfetched.

That’s not going to happen. Suncat has an inventory list of ammo taped inside the door under the sink.

now that's farfetched.

ok, "under" the toothpaste.

He'll find them somewhere.

Rupp's Runt

Y'all making jokes while I am over here thinking how awesome it is that he didn't deny having a rocket launcher.