Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Is ammunition becoming more available?

Re: Is ammunition becoming more available?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    This is just amusing now. I received an update that my OpticsPlanet orders are scheduled to be shipped on 5/21/21. For those keeping track at home, I have placed 4 separate orders of 5 separate items. The first one was made on September 21, 2020. These are the dates they have now shown me as being shipped:

1. First stated to be shipped 23-32 days after 9/21 (approx 10/20 give or take)
    2. Then moved to 10/28.
    3. Then moved to 11/13.
    4. Then moved to 12/15.
    5. Then moved to 1/13.
    6. Then moved to 2/3.
    7. Then moved to 3/18.
    8. Then moved to 4/10.
    9. Then moved to 5/5.
    10. Then moved to 5/22.
    I’m getting really pessimistic about the shortage ending any time in 2021.

Rupp's Runt

I'm thinking that it may be well into 2022 before we see the shortage abate. If then, depending on what this current nitwit POTUS does in regards to his Executive Orders issued, or what the dimwits in Congress do with regards to legislation they attempt to or do pass for the current POTUS to sign.

Rupp's Runt

Darrell, I have 4 orders sitting out there right now. All are 5/14 or 5/22.

Is ammunition becoming more available?

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Darrell, I have 4 orders sitting out there right now. All are 5/14 or 5/22.
    Since I have literally been given 10 separate expected shipping dates for the same Order, I have no expectation that they will fulfill the orders I have (4 orders, 5 separate ammunition calibers) until supply has caught up with demand.

Just the way it is. Of course, I'm not going to cancel anything, but I don't believe the May dates are anything but a placeholder until the next bump to June.

It won't end for a while. Was already going to be a while, and with the new administration demand for guns and ammo is not going anywhere.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I was looking at various dry fire training systems and got overwhelmed with the number of them out there. (I admit, I received an email today from DefensiveCarry.com with a special on one from Strikeman, which stoked my interest.)

The price on it looks good, at $89 with the code, but it looks like it is regular price $99 per caliber. I'd like to get at least .45 and 9mm, so now I'm at $200 or so. Is that about what any of them will run? I think I saw that Suncat has one system he uses, but are there any recommendations?

I probably won't get it, but should...

Rupp's Runt

iTarget.com

Dry fire has obviously leaped up in popularity. I'm pretty unfamiliar though. i've got some dummy rounds I used when I was repairing guns and used them for testing of semi-autos for cycling, but that's about it. Because they have no blow back they of course don't operate the gun, they just test whether it's jamming, stovepiping, etc.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    iTarget.com
    There are some good videos about it on YouTube.

Rupp's Runt

I assume you left off the pro?

https://www.itargetpro.com/

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I assume you left off the pro?

https://www.itargetpro.com/
    Not on purpose. But it is there.
    And it is what I have.
    As I stated previously, it is a bit pricey, but......if you want to keep your skill set up, this is, in the end, a viable training/shooting option.

I use it about once a week. My son and I take turns setting it up in different parts of the house, don't tell the other where it is at, and make a training exercise, as realistic as possible, out of it. It is fun for us. And in the long term, a lot cheaper than shooting up expensive and hard to find ammo.
    Is it better than actually shooting your firearm? No, but given the current circumstances, it's better than no practice at all.

I may look into it. I wouldn't want to use it too much simply b/c I think you could un-train from handling the recoil and sound of a real gun, but I could see using it some.

Rupp's Runt

It's all in the gray matter between your ears.
    The only thing that is better is training in a real shoot house with real guns with real bullets.

Or........there's always........paintball. 😆

Rupp's Runt

I'm thinking maybe a way to get my wife interested in shooting?

Do you know how many yards you can accurately shoot?

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat;69bbq1666
    I'm thinking maybe a way to get my wife interested in shooting?

Do you know how many yards you can accurately shoot?

It depends on your skill level, how you train, how much you train, how well you grasp the fundamentals of shooting, tolerance for stress, mental attitude.....but for a new shooter, you always begin with the fundamentals and proceed from there.
    I started my wife and daughter at close range to begin, and worked outward from there. And by close range I mean at 2 yards, 5 yards, 7 yards, 10 yards, and then 15 yards. Those distances sre where almost all of self-defense shootings occur.

Rupp's Runt

I'm sorry, I also neglected to mention the type of firearm you're shooting. Shooting a large caliber shotgun is different than shooting a rifle, although the fundamentals still apply to both. And shooting a revolver is different than shooting a semi-auto pistol. Again, the same fundamentals apply to all handguns, but they both operate differently

Update:

2. Then moved to 10/28.
    3. Then moved to 11/13.
    4. Then moved to 12/15.
    5. Then moved to 1/13.
    6. Then moved to 2/3.
    7. Then moved to 3/18.
    8. Then moved to 4/10.
    9. Then moved to 5/5.
    10. Then moved to 5/22.
    11. Now moved to 6/12 (all 5 orders). Great. That's my birthday month. I'm sure it will be a birthday present.

Rupp's Runt

Mine are all 6/12 now as well. Makes me wonder if they are even getting ammo in.

Update:

2. Then moved to 10/28.
    3. Then moved to 11/13.
    4. Then moved to 12/15.
    5. Then moved to 1/13.
    6. Then moved to 2/3.
    7. Then moved to 3/18.
    8. Then moved to 4/10.
    9. Then moved to 5/5.
    10. Then moved to 5/22.
    11. Now moved to 6/12 (all 5 orders). Great. That's my birthday month. I'm sure it will be a birthday present.
    This keeps up you will end up getting it a year after you placed the order.

Important because I’m getting $1400 from Emperor Joe to buy more guns and ammo

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Important because I’m getting $1400 from Emperor Joe to buy more guns and ammo
    Fortunately they are sending the money ahead of the law to ban the sale of guns and ammo. The problem is when they confiscate them, sorry, "mandatory buy back", they won't pay the premiums we are seeing today.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    This keeps up you will end up getting it a year after you placed the order.
    If I'm lucky!

I'll take it as long as they don't cancel the order.

I'm working at nights on creating caseless ammo. Never was a bigger market for it...

Rupp's Runt

If I'm lucky!

I'll take it as long as they don't cancel the order.
    Same here. And as soon as it ships, I'll place another order

Optics Planet’s prices for 9mm 115 grain FMJ is running 70-80 cents a round now. If you buy 1000 round bulk it is about $650. It’s all still back ordered, but says “unknown ETA.”

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I'm working at nights on creating caseless ammo. Never was a bigger market for it...
    I had never heard of this. Just looked it up. Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    I had never heard of this. Just looked it up. Wow...
    It's the holy grail of ammo development, but no one has come up with a way to do it without a residue that would foul up the gun and the ammo is far more fragile to handle. If you don't have to eject the casing the whole gun mechanism can be rethought.

The military advantage is also weight, losing the brass/steel case would cut a lot of weight out of the round.

But no one has come up with a really field viable solution to date.

Great movie reference to it in Aliens 2. The Marines in that movie use caseless ammo per the dialog, but I don't think you ever see the rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    It's the holy grail of ammo development, but no one has come up with a way to do it without a residue that would foul up the gun and the ammo is far more fragile to handle. If you don't have to eject the casing the whole gun mechanism can be rethought.

The military advantage is also weight, losing the brass/steel case would cut a lot of weight out of the round.

But no one has come up with a really field viable solution to date.

Great movie reference to it in Aliens 2. The Marines in that movie use caseless ammo per the dialog, but I don't think you ever see the rounds.
    I’ve got a .50 cal rifle that shoots caseless ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I’ve got a .50 cal rifle that shoots caseless ammo.
    lol. The original caseless ammo, but the reload rate is a little low. Unless you're Daniel Boone.

Rupp's Runt

Co worker was at KY Gun Co today. Said they had lots of ammo.