Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Is ammunition becoming more available?

Rupp's Runt

Re: Is ammunition becoming more available?

Yes it is! 😂

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I was going through a closet at the old house and found 2000 more rounds of 5.56 mm. Half is 55 grain, half is 62 grain.
    Man oh man, I am a happy guy! 😉
    That’s like found money.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    That’s like found money.
    Yes it is! 😁

Walked into this fancy pants gun shop in Fredricksburg Texas. They had dozens of lever action rifles and carbines in racks, most I’ve ever seen. All overpriced. I told them what I was lookin for and you’d think I pewed in the pew. Two guys in cowboy hats all dustered up went out of their way to tell me absolutely not.

All hats no cattle.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Walked into this fancy pants gun shop in Fredricksburg Texas. They had dozens of lever action rifles and carbines in racks, most I’ve ever seen. All overpriced. I told them what I was lookin for and you’d think I pewed in the pew. Two guys in cowboy hats all dustered up went out of their way to tell me absolutely not.

All hats no cattle.
    Well, Texas ain't exactly Montana. They're kinda different down there. And will not be shy about letting you know that either.

All hats no cattle.
    When looking for a specific gun I’ve had better luck going to a small shop and having them order it. It is a sure sale for them, and I get exactly what I want.

Rupp's Runt

Supposedly Rural King in Greenville had 180 round of 223 for $74. I did not make it there to confirm. I am assuming steel case.

Well the free market is working. You can get ammo, but it's expensive. Just checked and 9mm at SGammo is $.80 to $.90 a round, about what it was a month or so ago and on gunbroker. Still stupid high, but they have it in stock at those prices, and that's what markets do is clear.

Good news is like suncat I found some 9mm I didn't know I had. not much, but a bit. Ordered a bunch last year from ammotogo and went shooting last Labor day weekend, loaded more in a bag than I thought and it was still in there from ammo I didn't shoot that day. Not enough to write home about, but a pleasant surprise.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Well the free market is working. You can get ammo, but it's expensive. Just checked and 9mm at SGammo is $.80 to $.90 a round, about what it was a month or so ago and on gunbroker. Still stupid high, but they have it in stock at those prices, and that's what markets do is clear.

Good news is like suncat I found some 9mm I didn't know I had. not much, but a bit. Ordered a bunch last year from ammotogo and went shooting last Labor day weekend, loaded more in a bag than I thought and it was still in there from ammo I didn't shoot that day. Not enough to write home about, but a pleasant surprise.
    A local gun shop had a pic of their ammo supply on FB earlier this week. Fiocchi 9mm FMJ 50 round boxes were priced $39.95. I bought the same ammo at the same shop for $15.99 back on the fall.

I was at Bass Pro Shop in MB last weekend. Nada. Shelfs were empty...

Guys, do any of you reload your own? If so, how difficult is it to learn to do so?

Just checked on my Optics Planet orders....all 5 orders (well, 4 orders, 5 different purchases) now "Expected to be shipped on 05/05/2021."

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Just checked on my Optics Planet orders....all 5 orders (well, 4 orders, 5 different purchases) now "Expected to be shipped on 05/05/2021."
    Geez! They've changed the delivery date what, twice now? At least, if I recall your previous posts correctly.

Geez! They've changed the delivery date what, twice now? At least, if I recall your previous posts correctly.
    Several times. From the initial order in September (within 23-32 days), to October 28, to November 13, to December 15, to January 13, ((then something else), to now May 5.

Several times. From the initial order in September (within 23-32 days), to October 28, to November 13, to December 15, to January 13, ((then something else), to now May 5.
    As long as the price doesn’t change I wouldn’t mind the delivery delay. OpticsPlanet is still selling some Aguila via back order for 32 cents a round.

As long as the price doesn’t change I wouldn’t mind the delivery delay. OpticsPlanet is still selling some Aguila via back order for 32 cents a round.
    I'm certainly not cancelling them. Would rather have them now than later, but at prices ranging from $0.29 a round for 9mm (Winchester 115 grain) to $0.43 for .45 (Winchester 230 grain), I'm good.

Rupp's Runt

They will. And unfortunately, I think they are known for this during non-covid times as well. However, right now I like ordering from them. I'm not one that really likes to be around people and guns at the same time to go in stores. lol And as hard as it is to find, I just make an order, whenever I get it, I'll make another order. I think I am currently on my 4th order and the wait times are getting longer and longer. So for me, it is mostly working right now. But never order for them expecting it by a certain date or you will be disappointed.

Rupp's Runt

I'm certainly not cancelling them. Would rather have them now than later, but at prices ranging from $0.29 a round for 9mm (Winchester 115 grain) to $0.43 for .45 (Winchester 230 grain), I'm good.
    Prices have never changed for me. It might next time, but so far they have not.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Guys, do any of you reload your own? If so, how difficult is it to learn to do so?
    Have personally reloaded shotgun, and pistol or rifle is a bit more involved but not greatly so.

I"m betting reload equipment is at a premium too, but it's easy enough. If you get a station machine you just load it up and crank and load brass. You can get them that do one operation at a time or multiple.

for brass reload on shot brass you'll have to clean/deburr/round out the brass mouth, punch out old primer, put in new primer, load powder, load the bullet, press fit. A reload station will do all of these tasks, you load the brass and pull the lever each time to punch down for the operation. As I said some do one at a time and you either hand move the brass or you set up for one operation and do that to all the brass, or you can have them that work on multiple cartridges at the same time.

Most will have different dyes for different calibers and can do a range of them with the same press.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    They will. And unfortunately, I think they are known for this during non-covid times as well. However, right now I like ordering from them. I'm not one that really likes to be around people and guns at the same time to go in stores. lol And as hard as it is to find, I just make an order, whenever I get it, I'll make another order. I think I am currently on my 4th order and the wait times are getting longer and longer. So for me, it is mostly working right now. But never order for them expecting it by a certain date or you will be disappointed.
    If you go into a gun store these days the last thing you have to worry about is being around people with guns and ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Have personally reloaded shotgun, and pistol or rifle is a bit more involved but not greatly so.

I"m betting reload equipment is at a premium too, but it's easy enough. If you get a station machine you just load it up and crank and load brass. You can get them that do one operation at a time or multiple.

for brass reload on shot brass you'll have to clean/deburr/round out the brass mouth, punch out old primer, put in new primer, load powder, load the bullet, press fit. A reload station will do all of these tasks, you load the brass and pull the lever each time to punch down for the operation. As I said some do one at a time and you either hand move the brass or you set up for one operation and do that to all the brass, or you can have them that work on multiple cartridges at the same time.

Most will have different dyes for different calibers and can do a range of them with the same press.
    Primers and brass being in short supply have kept a lot of people from investing in reloading equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    I have always found pistol rounds a bit harder and the exact length a bit trickier than rifle rounds. Especially semi-auto magazines.

Reloading for bolt action hunting rifles is something I always enjoyed.

I have always found pistol rounds a bit harder and the exact length a bit trickier than rifle rounds. Especially semi-auto magazines.

Reloading for bolt action hunting rifles is something I always enjoyed.
    I got to wondering about reloading ammo a few months ago myself and priced out the supplies. When you pay for brass, powder, bullets, etc you can buy the completed ammo at a wash in dollars and cents.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I got to wondering about reloading ammo a few months ago myself and priced out the supplies. When you pay for brass, powder, bullets, etc you can buy the completed ammo at a wash in dollars and cents.
    You can save a little if you reclaim your brass, but of course some brass can't be saved and then you have to deal with rim damage, etc.

I've found that shotgun pays for itself, you can reuse the plastic shells a few times and shot and powder are cheap. That doesn't count for the time though, which is why I don't do it.

You do have to be more precise with any brass that is semi-auto for sure. Even manufactured brass can be finicky in some guns, esp. pistols, much less hand loads.

Rupp's Runt

Is ammunition becoming more available?

Placed a .410 order. Not really sure why but I did lol

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Placed a .410 order. Not really sure why but I did lol

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk
    If you might need it in the next year it’s a good idea to place an order.

Read an article last month from TheMeatEater.com on when the ammunition shortage might end, and another one from PEW PEW Tactical. Thought I would summarize both and link both here if you are interested.

TheMeatEater.com article:
    Hornady's marketing director says the shortage will last "deep into 2021," "the entire calendar year." I personally was hopeful we'd see it easing off this summer, but that looks too optimistic now.

If the Biden administration remains quiet on gun control--and please, no political discussion here, just mentioning this as a fact that was included in the article--then demand should level off in the next 12 months to the point where ammo markers will start to catch up. If not, it will be longer.

Over 20 million firearms were sold in 2020, setting the all-time record, breaking the 15.7 million that was set in 2016. 40% of the firearms were purchased by first-time buyers. 8 to 10 million new first-time buyers means that literally hundreds of millions of new rounds of ammunition are needed just for them alone.

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/fi...o-shortage-end

An article from December seemed to point to a more optimistic view--Summer 2021 when the shortage would ease. I hope they are right. Then again, the article actually says, "Unless demand falls rapidly, we don't envision a scenario where supply catches up before summer 2021, at the earliest." (Lucky Gunner CEO Jake Felde's comment).

The "at the earliest" is a caveat that I think is well-taken.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/ammo-...s-summer-2021/

My take on these (and other comments I've seen randomly) is that assuming there's no political interference (again, please save political discussion for The Barber Shop), we'll start to see the supply return very late this calendar year and 2022 should be good. If there is political interference, it will be longer. The threat of political interference will keep supply high (together with Covid, civil unrest, and new gun owners, among other factors).

it's not political, it's supply and demand. nothing drives gun and ammo sales like talk of gun control.

This was driven however by political unrest and the belief (which I agree with but all they need is the belief) that putting all your eggs in the "government will protect me" basket is a mistake. That drove a LOT of new buyers into the market, and drove them to buy guns not for hunting but for self defense. Those guns need more ammo by volume.

I'll be surprised if they let up in summer 2021. first b/c I think the Biden administration and the Congress will not remain quiet on this issue, and second b/c I think there is a lot of pent up demand so when prices go from $.80/round for 9mm and start to fall to say $.50/round you'll see more buying kick in, keeping prices pushing up and supplies low.

Like I said, I'm not shooting anything other than a slingshot until I can lay in a LOT more ammo than I have on hand. I figure at least a year.

Now, I may be be wrong about the politics of it only b/c the politicians also know that there are now 8-10 million MORE gun owning voters out there, making them a very sizeable voting block in a lot of key races, and they clearly are afraid of civil unrest and have taken action, making them likely voters in the off year elections.

(If this turns to more than simply analysis based on what will happen I'll delete this post and all others that go down that road the wrong way btw. This isn't to put a value judgement on it, just what I think will happen to drive gun/ammo demand in the next year.)

I don’t expect any easing on demand until late 2021 and more likely sometime in 2022.

Even with ammo hard to source guns are flying off the shelves.

This is just amusing now. I received an update that my OpticsPlanet orders are scheduled to be shipped on 5/21/21. For those keeping track at home, I have placed 4 separate orders of 5 separate items. The first one was made on September 21, 2020. These are the dates they have now shown me as being shipped:

1. First stated to be shipped 23-32 days after 9/21 (approx 10/20 give or take)
    2. Then moved to 10/28.
    3. Then moved to 11/13.
    4. Then moved to 12/15.
    5. Then moved to 1/13.
    6. Then moved to 2/3.
    7. Then moved to 3/18.
    8. Then moved to 4/10.
    9. Then moved to 5/5.
    10. Then moved to 5/22.