Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is ammunition becoming more available?

Re: Is ammunition becoming more available?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Anybody have a guess on when ammunition will be replenished in the stores? I mean, at reasonable prices?

I'm not desperate for ammunition, but next time that it floats back down to regular price and no restrictions, I will do a better job of getting more than I need. If there is such a thing.
    I ordered up when this first started to smell like a crisis, but I will stock up again once there are some options.

I've decided I need even more than I thought. Maybe a lot more if things keep going this way.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

PSA at PSA...

I just picked up two boxes of Hornady critical defense 9mm for $25.99 a box. It's $8.50 shipping for one box, and apparently a flat rate, because that's what they charged me for two boxes.

I felt like $1.04 a round for self-defense ammo was a steal right now.

Palmetto State Armory Deal of the Day.

Thanks to my buddy David down in Panama City for the tip text on the ammo.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 08-05-2020 at 01:08 PM.

I apologize. Apparently 5 minutes after I placed my order, my buddy decided he would buy some for himself and they were already out of stock. I have received an email that my two boxes have shipped, so apparently I got in just under the wire. If he gives me any other heads-up, I will try to post it quickly. Man, that went quickly.

Rupp's Runt

That Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty ammunition is good stuff.
    I keep Critical Defense rounds in the Boss's gun, and in the L'il Boss's too.
    I have the Critical Duty in mine.

I am also really fond of the Speer Gold Dot for short barrel handguns too.

The ballistics tests for both if the Hornady entries and the Gold Dot short barrel are very good. Either will work just fine.

My buddy ended up getting some .40 caliber (3 boxes), and also paid $8.50 shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    That Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty ammunition is good stuff.
    I keep Critical Defense rounds in the Boss's gun, and in the L'il Boss's too.
    I have the Critical Duty in mine.

I am also really fond of the Speer Gold Dot for short barrel handguns too.

The ballistics tests for both if the Hornady entries and the Gold Dot short barrel are very good. Either will work just fine.
    I carry Speer Gold Dot in my 2" 357. The short barrel really reduces the overall power of a 357, but it's still more than a 38spl or a 38 +P, and if nothing else the noise is so loud out of it we'll all be deaf for days, if not forever if I ever have to fire it in the house.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I carry Speer Gold Dot in my 2" 357. The short barrel really reduces the overall power of a 357, but it's still more than a 38spl or a 38 +P, and if nothing else the noise is so loud out of it we'll all be deaf for days, if not forever if I ever have to fire it in the house.
    Ka-BOOM!
    Yeah, those .357 Magnums are some loud handguns when you squeeze that trigger.
    I forgot to put my earplugs in one time at the range. And that was the last time I forgot to do that! 😉

Cheaper than Dirt apparently has plenty of 9mm in stock, but it definitely isn’t cheaper than dirt. The prices are absurd.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ammu...ger-or-9x19mm/

Is ammunition becoming more available?

That's disappointing to see. I know, supply and demand and all that. But still, those prices are ridiculous. Oh well.

That's disappointing to see. I know, supply and demand and all that. But still, those prices are ridiculous. Oh well.
    I can’t see how this behavior benefits them in the long run. When Cheaper Than Dirt pulled this same price hike in 2012 and early 2013 they lost customers that never returned. I imagine the excessive pricing will cost them customers once again.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I can’t see how this behavior benefits them in the long run. When Cheaper Than Dirt pulled this same price hike in 2012 and early 2013 they lost customers that never returned. I imagine the excessive pricing will cost them customers once again.
    I'm not going to be anybody's best customer, but you can rest assured, they won't get my business. I hope others feel the same, and it sounds like they do.

Gun folks are funny about gouging. Prices will go up, but as a company that's a bad idea.

If you're going to do it do it on gunbroker where you can just move on to another account when this is over.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Gun folks are funny about gouging. Prices will go up, but as a company that's a bad idea.

If you're going to do it do it on gunbroker where you can just move on to another account when this is over.
    At least at auctions at Gunbroker if you pay too much you are part of the group setting the prices.

Got 100 rounds of Federal 9mm for 0.42 a round at my hidden gem place. (Simmons Sporting Goods in Bessemer). That's higher but not gouging.

Got 100 rounds of Federal 9mm for 0.42 a round at my hidden gem place. (Simmons Sporting Goods in Bessemer). That's higher but not gouging.
    My wife picked me up a 100 round box in our neighboring small town to our East for $29.95, just a shade under 32 cents a round with taxes. She was in Morehead today, a shop there had 9mm for $39.95 in what she thought was a 100 round box, and 5.56 for $15 for a box of 20. I passed on those, much pricier than I have been paying. We have to go to Louisville early Monday, I think I’ll map out on some stops on the return trip.

Be sure and post what you find--good or bad, it helps with keeping track.

I don't think I can find any better deals around me than what I got today. And there wasn't much of it. I didn't need much, but that helped my feelings a bit to get it. And left some for others. I think I got the last 100 round box, but they had 50 round boxes for about the same price per round. MagTech was the same price.

Be sure and post what you find--good or bad, it helps with keeping track.

I don't think I can find any better deals around me than what I got today. And there wasn't much of it. I didn't need much, but that helped my feelings a bit to get it. And left some for others. I think I got the last 100 round box, but they had 50 round boxes for about the same price per round. MagTech was the same price.
    I will. It looks like Cabelas starts out a lot of days with some limited stock in the Lexington store, but by mid day it is gone. I can’t figure out what Sportsman’s Warehouse has at any time.

Not much to report from Lexington’s two big box outdoors stores. Sportsman’s Warehouse was out of most popular handgun rounds. They did have some boxes of 10mm, and they did have some 7.62x52 (.308) and 6.5 Creedmoor in bulk cans. They had an assortment of higher priced centerfire rifle ammo $35-$40+. They had a decent assortment of field and target shotgun ammo. I picked up a box of #6 .410 in case my 8 year old grandson has a hankering to try to get him some bushy tails. They had one box of 20 .223, it was a bit pricey at $30, so I passed on it. No 9mm to be had.

Cabela’s didn’t have much by way of popular handgun ammo, though they did have some .40 S&W. They had a decent stock of hunting rounds suitable for white tails in a variety of price ranges. They Did have CCI .22LR at $7.99/100 and a variety of other types of .22, including magnum, shorts, etc. they had a good supply of .17. I picked up one of the boxes of .22LR, and added a box of .30-06, just in case it isn’t plentiful latter this fall.

Thanks, Keith.

Buddy of mine tells me that Palmetto State has Speer 9mm for $0.40 a round right now if anybody needs any.

Not a gun enthusiast but have decided it might be time to get a gun, I get what suncat said about rifles and shotguns but I just was a hand gun.
    Live in Louisville so looking for a range to get started also was thinking about a 9 mm.
    Would that be a good start?

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Not a gun enthusiast but have decided it might be time to get a gun, I get what suncat said about rifles and shotguns but I just was a hand gun.
    Live in Louisville so looking for a range to get started also was thinking about a 9 mm.
    Would that be a good start?
    Go to Knob Creek gun range. Rent what you think you might want, try’m out on the range, then start shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Not a bad idea

Thanks, Keith.

Buddy of mine tells me that Palmetto State has Speer 9mm for $0.40 a round right now if anybody needs any.
    If you are in need of 9mm that may be the new going rate. 30 cents a round has been a good price for over a month. Supplies definitely are not increasing.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Not a bad idea
    Trying out different handguns gives you a good feel for what fits you the best.

If you have the luxury definitely go to a range. How experienced are you with handguns? I don't want to presume but it sounds like not a lot at least for handguns. FWIW that's typical of most people even in Kentucky, as I myself grew up with long guns and didn't really start shooting handguns until the last 10-15 years with any regularity.

If you shoot a frog with a 22 short HP in the right spot every time they don't jump into the water. If you miss that spot then you spend a lot of time in the water trying to locate the frog. Lot easier to pack a pistol than it is to carry around a rifle.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

We used air rifles for frogs.

Now I shoot more pistol than long gun, but in the day on the farm it was always long guns. Some of that is safety. Hard for a 6 or 7 year old to shoot himself with a bolt action 22 I suppose.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Go to Knob Creek gun range. Rent what you think you might want, try’m out on the range, then start shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't send him there. You never know when a Syrian vs Turkey fire fight might break out.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Don't send him there. You never know when a Syrian vs Turkey fire fight might break out.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk
    Brilliant.