Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NCAA just opened Pandora"s box

Comeback Cat

NCAA just opened Pandora"s box

NCAA going to allow players to have memorials OR SOCIAL JUSTICE statements on both front and back of jersey. We know what a lot of them will be but what if a player says Blue Lives Matter will that be allowed. Who will be the arbiter of what is allowed?

Re: NCAA just opened Pandora"s box

Saw a tweet suggestion that they should all put "PAY US" on the backs of their jerseys.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Will look junky

Want to really give them heart burn, put "Jesus is the Answer" on the jerseys. .
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

One and Done

That's disappointing. I really hate to add any additional controversy to sports. We all have varying opinions and we live in a polarized world. Why would we take something we all love and make it into a political fight? I don't care if you are talking black lives matter, blue lives matter or dog lives matter.

I'm sure that it would be a consensus statement, and I would highly doubt that any team would come to a consensus to make such a statement about "blue lives matter". Society and the justice system has jammed down our throats for generations. We don't need any social justice statements to remind us. Social justice statements are about bringing awareness to issues.

Whatever it takes to end systemic AND systematic racism, I'm all for. Nice job NCAA!

MAGA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by TNCat View Post
    That's disappointing. I really hate to add any additional controversy to sports. We all have varying opinions and we live in a polarized world. Why would we take something we all love and make it into a political fight? I don't care if you are talking black lives matter, blue lives matter or dog lives matter.
    Simple, because those that are supplying the thing that we all love are not robots and have a right to express their opinions as much as anyone else. Not to mention that more than not, the suppliers are the victims of the disenfranchisement.

If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to watch.

socioeconomic inequality is not systemic racism even if it disproportionately affects one race. but that concept cant be weaponized to allow societies most elite to use its most disenfranchised in one giant power grab. but hey, lets break down the institutions of the greatest country the worlds ever known and replace it with the institution of victim-hood. That should be great for the long term sovereignty of our union.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    Simple, because those that are supplying the thing that we all love are not robots and have a right to express their opinions as much as anyone else. Not to mention that more than not, the suppliers are the victims of the disenfranchisement.

If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to watch.
    The suppliers are not robots, but they are also not monolithic. That’s the problem. Also, saying “if you don’t like it take your business elsewhere” is the perfect recipe for business failure.

How about “Emmert Sucks” !

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    The suppliers are not robots, but they are also not monolithic. That’s the problem. Also, saying “if you don’t like it take your business elsewhere” is the perfect recipe for business failure.
    It can work the other way too. You can get people that were not previously interested in sports interested as they get to know personalities. The overall decline in ratings and attendance in sports while revenues keep increasing shows that there will have to be a HUGE net loss of business to impact sports.

I think sports can survive just fine if a small faction is so turned off by freedom of speech that they won't watch.

It's not freedom of speech to yell FIRE in a movie theater when there's no fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    It's not freedom of speech to yell FIRE in a movie theater when there's no fire.
    JustABitOutside.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Powermaker View Post
    How about “Emmert Sucks” !
    that is not controversial. Its factual.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Just another example: LOOK AT ME, IT'S ALL ABOUT ME BABY

Comeback Cat

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    I'm sure that it would be a consensus statement, and I would highly doubt that any team would come to a consensus to make such a statement about "blue lives matter". Society and the justice system has jammed down our throats for generations. We don't need any social justice statements to remind us. Social justice statements are about bringing awareness to issues.

Whatever it takes to end systemic AND systematic racism, I'm all for. Nice job NCAA!
    My son is a Kentucky State Police Officer so I guarantee Blue Lives matter to me. I prosecuted over 5,000 felony cases in Kentucky and probably over 95% were white people. So your observations from Fall Creek Va on systemic racism in Kentucky's judicial system is based on exactly what facts other the usual more % of Blacks in jail which is countered by a greater % of Blacks commit crimes.

The NCAA is looking like this at the moment.....
    Attachment 9526

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

[QUOTE=LakeCat;646210]My son is a Kentucky State Police Officer so I guarantee Blue Lives matter to me. I prosecuted over 5,000 felony cases in Kentucky and probably over 95% were white people. So your observations from Fall Creek Va on systemic racism in Kentucky's judicial system is based on exactly what facts other the usual more % of Blacks in jail which is countered by a greater % of Blacks commit crimes.[/QUOTE

Very good point; I grew up in a family of police officers. I have great admiration for them and their profession. Liberals are despicable.

Darryl

I’ll go ahead and say it. When I’m watching a sporting event, I don’t care what kind of music, religious convictions, whether they like Marianne or Ginger, whether they support blue lives , black lives, Velcro or strings. I’m watching them for their athletic ability.

Same goes for musicians, actors, I watch/listen to them for what they’re there to do. I go to a concert to listen to music, I go to the movies to watch the movie, I go to a baseball game to watch baseball.

Those that use their celebrity status as a platform to share their opinions, I typically don’t care for... and quite frankly comes off as insincere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I had a lot written but deleted it since, as Cal says, it just wont be received well and people tend to get mad. And then often revert to slinging about pre-packaged political rhetoric in support of a narrow view of a situation that requires a much broader perspective.
    Suffice it to say the statement Black lives matter means something entirely different to most all the players and staff at UK. As well as people across the country. It is not a political organization of the same name, it is a loud voice crying out to America..Where are our friends?

And Blue lives do matter. It hasn't been but just a few years ago I watched nearly the entire population of Radcliff, every color and race imaginable and in huge numbers mourn and show united support along the highway for the parade of multi-state law enforcement after a Trooper lost his life in the line of duty. Tears were shed in the patrol cars and on the road and color did not matter.

And White lives matter, as if anyone has ever portrayed it differently. But still, we can dig through some old photos and find a young Black child forced to carry a down with whitey sign..or photoshop one if need be cause..well, we know it happens. "They" do that.

There are equal percentages of good and bad no matter ones race. That is a fact of creation. And that same percentage of good and bad applies to law enforcement. So depending how you match those entities up there will be a pretty big disparity of bad actions at times. And if lives depend on it, positive action is necessary. It may be some action not yet discussed, but action none the less. (And admittedly, even I have a better solution than any proposed so far)

But really aside from all that, sometimes silence is the best policy on a sports site dedicated to the support of the majority of those young men and women including most all the players and staff at UK. If you do not believe it can be taken seriously enough to damage the athletic program irreparably, you are wrong and may as well prepare to follow your local high school teams and forget college sports
    My point is, some here are at direct odds with the university, the athletic dept. and it's student athletes.
    Whether we agree or disagree with each other, that is what should guide our conversation.

Unless, this is no longer a site dedicated to the support of those young men and women and the UK program.

Last edited by kingcat; 07-30-2020 at 05:21 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by LakeCat View Post
    My son is a Kentucky State Police Officer so I guarantee Blue Lives matter to me. I prosecuted over 5,000 felony cases in Kentucky and probably over 95% were white people. So your observations from Fall Creek Va on systemic racism in Kentucky's judicial system is based on exactly what facts other the usual more % of Blacks in jail which is countered by a greater % of Blacks commit crimes.
    Dude, you have problems when you try to pretend what I know or do or think you have ANY insights to my life. I don't do that to you, or you don't do it to other people. So, stop it, you don't have a clue.

I grew up in Ky, spent half of my life there. I was beaten and robbed by a cop, had a friend raped by a cop and have plenty of other stories about police brutality in Kentucky and Chicago. Several of my in-laws are retired cops. They are horrible racists, to the point that we have boundaries that we cannot cross in family situations. It's really sad for my wife and her other family members.

I don't know anything about your son, nor do I care. My personal experiences are nothing like 99% of cops are good. I'm not this crazy defund/abolish police guy. I have always just wanted them to take some personal responsibility and clean themselves up and if they can't then others will. Change will come, and now is the time. If anything that these times have shown me is that there are a WHOLE lot of good cops out there. I beg of them to force change from within.

As a proud liberal and progressive, I take great offense to Darry's words, but I am going to use them myself, since he has crossed the line. Those types of cops, the ones that know how they behave and the people that support them are despicable. That number is a WHOLE lot bigger than 1%.

There was absolutely no need for this conversation to take this turn, but I'm not going to sit back and let someone pretend that they have any clue about me.

This web site has officially been ruined. Sad. Been with this bunch for close to 20
    Years. I’ve given up broadcast news, twitter, much of Facebook, and I guess now this.

This is no longer entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    that is not controversial. Its factual.
    Lol , I agree !

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    This web site has officially been ruined. Sad. Been with this bunch for close to 20
    Years. I’ve given up broadcast news, twitter, much of Facebook, and I guess now this.

This is no longer entertainment.
    +1
    Real Fan since 1958

whether they like Marianne or Ginger,
    I was doing fine with you until I read this. Blasphemy, man blasphemy
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by TNCat View Post
    Ditto. Why is it so hard to understand that if you take a political stand you are going to at least offend, if not drive away, half of your audience?

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Would players be allowed to wear a Confederate flag; an image of Stalin; Trump's picture, etc?

Darryl

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Want to really give them heart burn, put "Jesus is the Answer" on the jerseys. .
    I like Hispanics, too.

Last edited by Bakert; 07-30-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    +1
    I have no idea how much you, me, and ETWNAPPEL agree politically, but I agree with your +1 of his post 100%.