Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A little OT? If you wanted an oceanfront/view 2br place to retire to...

Re: A little OT? If you wanted an oceanfront/view 2br place to retire to...

I just spent my first winter down here as a resident. 1 night it made it down to 36 degrees. And you know what warning was issued when that happened? Iguanas May fall from the trees. I kid you not...

https://www.winknews.com/2020/01/21/...ng-from-trees/

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I think anywhere in the state of Florida would work for that. The panhandle would be fine. A little nip in the air is invigorating for a month or so

I remember living in Miami, when the temperature dropped into the 60's, you had these old ladies wearing their fur coats like it was 10 degrees. We laughed about that for a long time. I see some of that in New Orleans, too. I'm walking around with a short sleeve polo shirt, and I see parkas.

A little OT? If you wanted an oceanfront/view 2br place to retire to...

I think anywhere in the state of Florida would work for that. The panhandle would be fine. A little nip in the air is invigorating for a month or so

I remember living in Miami, when the temperature dropped into the 60's, you had these old ladies wearing their fur coats like it was 10 degrees. We laughed about that for a long time. I see some of that in New Orleans, too. I'm walking around with a short sleeve polo shirt, and I see parkas.
    I recall “native Floridians” wearing everything they owned a few times in the winter, while the snow birds would be on the beach in trunks no shirts when it was 60, with the wind howling blowing sand so hard it stung your legs.

I used to have friends visit me in the winter months from time to time, and want me to take them to beach...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    I just spent my first winter down here as a resident. 1 night it made it down to 36 degrees. And you know what warning was issued when that happened? Iguanas May fall from the trees. I kid you not...

https://www.winknews.com/2020/01/21/...ng-from-trees/
    D., I either recall that happening when I lived in Miami, or something very similar that I don't recall exactly. But as Johnny Carson used to say, "weird, wild stuff" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Really like Siesta Key, haven't been there in forever though.
    And you could be close to Dick Vitale and have breakfast with him mornings at the Broken Egg in The Village. I think he lives on the block leading from the Village to the ocean.
    The Egg he regulars is on that corner.
    Last edited by kingcat; 07-23-2020 at 04:34 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Really like Siesta Key, haven't been there in forever though.
    And you could be close to Dick Vitale and have breakfast with him mornings at the Broken Egg in The Village.

Hilton Head is also nice.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

When I vacationed in Siesta Key Sarasota for the winter my mother and I had a running joke that you could tell where everyone was from that time of year.

The natives were in long sleeves and long pants and had coats on. People from middle America were in shorts and t-shirts and the Canadians were swimming in the water.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    And you could be close to Dick Vitale and have breakfast with him mornings at the Broken Egg in The Village. I think he lives on the block leading from the Village to the ocean.
    The Egg he regulars is on that corner.
    I ran into him once there, at Columbia's on Lido Key. We were both there having dinner. That was 2007 I believe.

Then I backed up and ran into him again just to be sure.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

When I vacationed in Siesta Key Sarasota for the winter my mother and I had a running joke that you could tell where everyone was from that time of year.

The natives were in long sleeves and long pants and had coats on. People from middle America were in shorts and t-shirts and the Canadians were swimming in the water.
    Lol. Funny, because true.

I ran into him once there, at Columbia's on Lido Key. We were both there having dinner. That was 2007 I believe.

I love the Columbia chain. That Salad is off the chains! One reason I would prefer the southern Gulf..but dang the prices.

Also love me some Frenchy's Gouper Sandwich!

Might be a good time to check out south Padre properties after Hanna passes
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Might be a good time to check out south Padre properties after Hanna passes
    Corpus Christi now.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/12870...599043/video/1

Rupp's Runt

In Siesta Key a few years ago and a lady said this would be her last winter. Said it was just too cold and she was moving farther south. I asked her how cold it got in the winter. She said in the 70s...

Hope the body shop was able to remove the dent
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

A small update.

I have found a couple of places in N. Myrtle Beach (Crescent Beach area) I am going to do a virtual tour. Finding a 2BR direct OF is pretty rare so while it will be cooler in winter than we want, a 2BR under $200K direct OF may be too hard to pass up.

Keep us posted. I'm following closely on ideas. Thinking of moving to the panhandle where I can afford it, and visit Key West a lot. Probably in a rowboat.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    A small update.

I have found a couple of places in N. Myrtle Beach (Crescent Beach area) I am going to do a virtual tour. Finding a 2BR direct OF is pretty rare so while it will be cooler in winter than we want, a 2BR under $200K direct OF may be too hard to pass up.
    Headline here is 2BR.. keep us informed.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Ok,

We got beat to the offer on the unit we wanted. We had found a 3rd Story OF 2BR/2BA Corner Unit (914sqft). It was in pretty good condition. Maybe needed some paint but appliances under 1 year old and beds/mattresses under 2 years with new HVAC 3 years ago. Only problem was small pool which our 12YO daughter did not like. But man, the HOA called to me at $384. They were asking $214,900. I was looking at options but had planned to offer about $205,000.

Well, someone grabbed that sucker at full price last night. Here was the unit: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-02557?view=qv

I did worry about steps as I age. My knees are not what they once were so maybe it was not meant to be!

We already have another lined up. I will update as we make moves!

^There's a show on HGTV called Beachfront Bargain Hunt that has a lot of properties at reasonable prices. I always thought if I were in the market I'd look at some of the locations where they shoot their episodes and search there.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I have a first floor unit condo in Naples simply due to that concern. I have multiple sclerosis and some days I can do steps and some days I can’t. So I couldn’t risk a necessary use of steps every day.
    Ok,

We got beat to the offer on the unit we wanted. We had found a 3rd Story OF 2BR/2BA Corner Unit (914sqft). It was in pretty good condition. Maybe needed some paint but appliances under 1 year old and beds/mattresses under 2 years with new HVAC 3 years ago. Only problem was small pool which our 12YO daughter did not like. But man, the HOA called to me at $384. They were asking $214,900. I was looking at options but had planned to offer about $205,000.

Well, someone grabbed that sucker at full price last night. Here was the unit: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-02557?view=qv

I did worry about steps as I age. My knees are not what they once were so maybe it was not meant to be!

We already have another lined up. I will update as we make moves!

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    ^There's a show on HGTV called Beachfront Bargain Hunt that has a lot of properties at reasonable prices. I always thought if I were in the market I'd look at some of the locations where they shoot their episodes and search there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    I have a first floor unit condo in Naples simply due to that concern. I have multiple sclerosis and some days I can do steps and some days I can’t. So I couldn’t risk a necessary use of steps every day.
    We watch BFBH all the time. But many times they really are not beachfront, but "in walking distance". Especially in FL except Panama City area. FL was just out of our price range. So was HHI.

Darrin, on the first floor...my wife does not like first. Wants elevated so she can see. Also worries more about storm damage and flooding on first floor. But in your case, it is 1st floor or elevator. I get it.

Guys, we now have an accepted offer on a 10th floor unit at Sands Beach Club in Myrtle Beach. 2Bed, 2Bath. Direct OF. Need to update bathrooms but that is style, not function. Got it for under $180K.

I wish it was under $625 HOA but will live with that for direct OF!

If it flys, floats, f@&$s, or its ocean front... rent it.

We watch BFBH all the time. But many times they really are not beachfront, but "in walking distance". Especially in FL except Panama City area. FL was just out of our price range. So was HHI.

Darrin, on the first floor...my wife does not like first. Wants elevated so she can see. Also worries more about storm damage and flooding on first floor. But in your case, it is 1st floor or elevator. I get it.

Guys, we now have an accepted offer on a 10th floor unit at Sands Beach Club in Myrtle Beach. 2Bed, 2Bath. Direct OF. Need to update bathrooms but that is style, not function. Got it for under $180K.

I wish it was under $625 HOA but will live with that for direct OF!
    Congratulations, VirginiaCat! That's great.

NCAA basketball Final Four 2021 watch party at your place!

Congratulations, VirginiaCat! That's great.

NCAA basketball Final Four 2021 watch party at your place!
    I wish I could. The Dear Wife has announced to me no one allowed to stay there until she has fully redecorated which includes remodels of master bath and kitchen and adding a Washer/Dryer Closet. I sense a lot of honeydos after 8 hours of driving in my future!

I wish I could. The Dear Wife has announced to me no one allowed to stay there until she has fully redecorated which includes remodels of master bath and kitchen and adding a Washer/Dryer Closet. I sense a lot of honeydos after 8 hours of driving in my future!
    I actually enjoy redecorating/remodeling to satisfy my wife's "visions".
    Redecorated the Family Room/Woman Cave this week.
    Since I do 95% of the work it keeps it reasonable and by keeping the house more updated at least the kids will have a nice property to sell when Grammy and I graduate to Glory.

One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Since I do 95% of the work it keeps it reasonable and by keeping the house more updated at least the kids will have a nice property to sell when Grammy and I graduate to Glory.

I've got a bunch of work to do on my house. Since you enjoy it, we need to talk.

I've got a bunch of work to do on my house. Since you enjoy it, we need to talk.
    Grammy gets a special deal; she is an awesome country cook and she takes very good care of me. Think of the Proverbs woman.
    And, she is the Chairman of the Board, CEO, CFO and controlling partner of Cliffco; you will have to see if she can work you into her schedule.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post

Pappy, I wish I had those skills. I can paint and do basic stuff but tearing out a tub and sink/vanity and toilet go beyond my ability. Same with cabinets and counters in kitchen. And we are going to remove the wet bar and make a washer/dryer closet..

And we are going to remove the wet bar and make a washer/dryer closet..
    Communist.

Communist.
    I thought the same thing but it is literally 5 steps to full kitchen from the wet bar...prefer that to walking to other end of the hallway to do laundry..or I should say my dear wife does...