Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A little OT? If you wanted an oceanfront/view 2br place to retire to...

but budget was $350K...

Where would you guys look?

I would view this as my permanent residence in retirement but would maintain a home where I currently live. If FL, will make sure it is more than 6 months in FL.

Re: A little OT? If you wanted an oceanfront/view 2br place to retire to...

Ocean view isn’t attainable here in Naples where I live at that figure, but I’m guessing it can be up in the panhandle. Only drawback to the panhandle is winter does occur there. Short, slight but there is one.

I’d go to Amelia Island, which is actually what I’m planning. As stated above with it being in northern FL, there could be weather considerations. I personally wanted some seasonal changes, but nothing drastic.

... also, Amelia Island has never taken a direct hit from a hurricane. They’ve been side swiped and hit from the state side but nothing direct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I would give North Padre island a look. I don't have property there but have a couple of friends that are retired and they left KY to retire there. They really like it and real estate values are easier on the pocket book than they are in FL, or so they tell me.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Amelia Island, 2 BR for sale -- used filter "beachfront."

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ord-beachfront

Panama City Beach has a ton of options. Not my preference; way too busy/touristy, but there are quiet parts. Also, I have a buddy who owns a bunch of places down there if you are interested in that locale, let me know.

Santa Rosa Beach would be my option--until I did the same search there, and discovered it would be a lot of people's options. Sigh.

I tried Dan's suggestion of North Padre Island and it was giving me a street, so I just put in Corpus Christi, TX instead.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    but budget was $350K...

Where would you guys look?

I would view this as my permanent residence in retirement but would maintain a home where I currently live. If FL, will make sure it is more than 6 months in FL.
    Are you talking U.S.? Because Mrs. BEvans has seen just about every episode of House Hunters International and I think she could rattle off several places around the world for that price (or less).
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Looks like there are more offerings in South Padre than in the North

https://www.google.com/search?client...nd+real+estate
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

My picks in order:

Siesta Key (out of price range maybe)
    Navarre
    Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area
    Amelia Isand (my 2nd favorite beach area so far, but I think if I am talking about a house, I think want the white sand)

Not been there, but I'd also look at the Mexico Beach area. Not sure how they have recovered, but could be lots of opportunites down there?

Siesta is 100 miles to my north and we make a trip there pretty frequently. Fabulous beach and beach town!
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    My picks in order:

Siesta Key (out of price range maybe)
    Navarre
    Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area
    Amelia Isand (my 2nd favorite beach area so far, but I think if I am talking about a house, I think want the white sand)

Not been there, but I'd also look at the Mexico Beach area. Not sure how they have recovered, but could be lots of opportunites down there?

Yeah, Mexico beach is gone, might find a piece of property at a good price, however I imagine the pirates have all ready gutted the beach front properties.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Are you talking U.S.? Because Mrs. BEvans has seen just about every episode of House Hunters International and I think she could rattle off several places around the world for that price (or less).
    PM me some options. Thinking about leaving the US when I retire, or when I flee to a place with poor extradition.

I'll be curious on this thread since not sure the Keys will still be here when I retire.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    Siesta is 100 miles to my north and we make a trip there pretty frequently. Fabulous beach and beach town!
    Really like Siesta Key, haven't been there in forever though.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

We used to lease the same condo in Amelia Island pretty regularly, we became somewhat friends with the lady that owned it. When she decided to sell it she gave us an opportunity to buy it before she put it on the market. 2b/2b ocean front condo 3rd floor. It was about 10-12 years ago $275k, the only problem I had was timing. At the time I wasn’t close enough to retiring and moving, and didn’t want to deal with leasing it.
    I even took my father down for a couple of weeks, same with him, timing was just off. It wasn’t long after my mother had passed away and it just wasn’t a good time for him to make a move.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    PM me some options. Thinking about leaving the US when I retire, or when I flee to a place with poor extradition.

I'll be curious on this thread since not sure the Keys will still be here when I retire.
    Two words.... Costa Rica. Could be my option B. High school friend has several acres beach frontish. He’s a builder and talking compound with several villas, I have dibsies on a lot.

We have friends with a condo on Amelia so I’m partial to that area. It’s a popular spot for the GA/FL cocktail party pilgrimage every year. Fernandina Beach has a nice downtown area with a lot of good restaurants and watering holes. The west end of downtown is the Amelia River and it’s a good spot to find a charter for fishing or a day on the water.

My favorite spot in northeast FL is Crescent Beach. It’s just north of the Mantanzas Inlet and 15 or 20 mins south of St Augustine and I believe would work for that price range. The Atlantic is on the east of course and the Mantanzas River is on the west. Excellent fishing, nice beaches and about an hour to the airport in north Jax and 90 minutes to Orlando.

I love both the Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island areas near Sarasota as well, but would think it’s a bit more pricey there.

Santa Rosa is nice in the panhandle, but I think that area is no longer the hidden gem it once was. I’ve heard positive reviews on Navarre nearby, but haven’t stayed there myself. I had to look it up, couldn’t remember the name, but we did a project in the Oriole Beach/Gulf Breeze area west of there near Pensacola and it was a nice looking area. Not sure what the market looks like there though.

Mexico Beach is still decimated from the hurricane, but the rebuild is slowly progressing. It might be an opportunity to find something at a very good value, but not much beach to speak of in that area and no pets on the beach in that county. It’s more known for Its offshore fishing. There’s a state park at Cape San Blas about 30 mins south of there with a nice beach and excellent camping facilities.
    Last edited by Terminus; 07-22-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
    We have friends with a condo on Amelia so I’m partial to that area. It’s a popular spot for the GA/FL cocktail party pilgrimage every year. Fernandina Beach has a nice downtown area with a lot of good restaurants and watering holes. The west end of downtown is the Amelia River and it’s a good spot to find a charter for fishing or a day on the water.

My favorite spot in northeast FL is Crescent Beach. It’s just north of the Mantanzas Inlet and 15 or 20 mins south of St Augustine and I believe would work for that price range. The Atlantic is on the east of course and the Mantanzas River is on the west. Excellent fishing, nice beaches and about an hour to the airport in north Jax and 90 minutes to Orlando.

I love both the Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island areas near Sarasota as well, but would think it’s a bit more pricey there.

Santa Rosa is nice in the panhandle, but I think that area is no longer the hidden gem it once was. I’ve heard positive reviews on Navarre nearby, but haven’t stayed there myself. I had to look it up, couldn’t remember the name, but we did a project in the Oriole Beach/Gulf Breeze area west of there near Pensacola and it was a nice looking area. Not sure what the market looks like there though.

Mexico Beach is still decimated from the hurricane, but the rebuild is slowly progressing. It might be an opportunity to find something at a very good value, but not much beach to speak of in that area and no pets on the beach in that county. It’s more known for Its offshore fishing. There’s a state park at Cape San Blas about 30 mins south of there with a nice beach and excellent camping facilities.
    Love Crescent Beach too, close enough to St Augustine and far enough from St Augustine. Devils Elbow is my favorite bait shop/outfitters in the world. The fishing is outstanding both inside and out. Great restaurants, plus lots to do within a short distance in all four directions.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Love Crescent Beach too, close enough to St Augustine and far enough from St Augustine. Devils Elbow is my favorite bait shop/outfitters in the world. The fishing is outstanding both inside and out. Great restaurants, plus lots to do within a short distance in all four directions.

Know Devil’s Elbow well, Boss, those guys are top notch! If you’re ever looking for a good captain for inshore fishing in Amelia I know a few there and one in particular who’ll really put you on’em and provide an A+ experience if you can get on his schedule in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
    Know Devil’s Elbow well, Boss, those guys are top notch! If you’re ever looking for a good captain for inshore fishing in Amelia I know a few there and one in particular who’ll really put you on’em and provide an A+ experience if you can get on his schedule in advance.
    I’ll keep that in mind, usually at Amelia I tear’m up in the surf keeping me plenty busy. Also, lately we’ve been doing the gulf side, I would like to get back to the east coast maybe next trip... get back down to Crescent beach area, Slide in to Saltwater Cowboys for bucket of steamed oysters.

I’d go to Amelia Island, which is actually what I’m planning. As stated above with it being in northern FL, there could be weather considerations. I personally wanted some seasonal changes, but nothing drastic.

... also, Amelia Island has never taken a direct hit from a hurricane. They’ve been side swiped and hit from the state side but nothing direct.

We are looking in alternate locales here in FL. Want to move farther north when I retire as access to the country is better. Currently for us its a 8 hr drive to ATL which is the waypoint to anywhere for us.

Anyhow, Cocoa Beach is a nice seaside town that is in the affordable range. Are plenty of waterfront with Merrit island, lots of entertainment with Orlando less than a hour away. Plus it is quite quaint. And a couple international airports close by. You will have a hard time finding much in your price range in Amelia Island, and to be honest AI isn't what many percieve
    Last edited by Doc; 07-23-2020 at 07:08 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Two words.... Costa Rica. Could be my option B. High school friend has several acres beach frontish. He’s a builder and talking compound with several villas, I have dibsies on a lot.

Love Costa Rica.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post

You know, we do as well. My wife just not interested in Central/South America.

I would love to look at Italy. Some close to beach that need attention but again, the wife feels too far from family.

By the way guys. Awesome info. Thank you.

Had been looking in FWB-Panama City area but like you, I prefer to have zero winter for the time I am down there. But I really do prefer the sand on the Gulf Side.

I will look at South Padre. Not been there before. Is the sand in Texas like the Gulf Sand in FL?

I will look at South Padre. Not been there before. Is the sand in Texas like the Gulf Sand in FL?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...and_Texas.html

I’ve done 2 trips to south Padre when I was younger and not married. The water clarity is better on Florida’s panhandle. Secondly we ran into the occasional tar ball on the beach. Locals told us it was due to oil platforms off the coast. Just my .02.

Rupp's Runt

Had been looking in FWB-Panama City area but like you, I prefer to have zero winter for the time I am down there. But I really do prefer the sand on the Gulf Side.

Siesta Key then

Stays pretty warm down there in the winter. And there are several areas around Sarasota that nice sand. Clearwater, treasure island, etc...Sanibel area is a little farther south and really nice a well.

I believe Texas sand is grayish

While in the FL panhandle, I’ve met a lot of Texans...most have said no comparison, it’s worth the travel/drive.

Only bad caveat to Clearwater is the Church of Scientology owning copious amounts of real estate within Pinellas County without tax burden. That tax burden falls on the common man....
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Siesta Key then

Stays pretty warm down there in the winter. And there are several areas around Sarasota that nice sand. Clearwater, treasure island, etc...Sanibel area is a little farther south and really nice a well.

I believe Texas sand is grayish

Had been looking in FWB-Panama City area but like you, I prefer to have zero winter for the time I am down there.
    Wimps!

Man, I lived in Mobile for a spell. If you call that "winter"...

Month High / Low(°F)
    January 60° / 42°
    February 64° / 46°
    March 70° / 52°

Winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Wimps!

Man, I lived in Mobile for a spell. If you call that "winter"...

Month High / Low(°F)
    January 60° / 42°
    February 64° / 46°
    March 70° / 52°

Winter?
    For me I am kind of looking for a couple months of coolish weather. Even in S FL there can be 2-4 weeks of 40’s-60’s in Jan, Feb... at least that’s the way it was in Jensen Beach in the late 70’s early 80’s when I lived there, which was well before “global warming”. (eye roll).

For me I am kind of looking for a couple months of coolish weather. Even in S FL there can be 2-4 weeks of 40’s-60’s in Jan, Feb... at least that’s the way it was in Jensen Beach in the late 70’s early 80’s when I lived there, which was well before “global warming”. (eye roll).

I think anywhere in the state of Florida would work for that. The panhandle would be fine. A little nip in the air is invigorating for a month or so

I remember living in Miami, when the temperature dropped into the 60's, you had these old ladies wearing their fur coats like it was 10 degrees. We laughed about that for a long time. I see some of that in New Orleans, too. I'm walking around with a short sleeve polo shirt, and I see parkas.