Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Paul Finebaum: 25% chance of a college football season

Paul Finebaum: 25% chance of a college football season

Re: Paul Finebaum: 25% chance of a college football season

I would agree.

If it comes to be, we only have ourselves to blame.

"The reality is that the college football season is slipping away."@finebaum reacts to the news that the Ivy League has ruled out playing fall sports. pic.twitter.com/7U1JrUxC9p

My take on a potential football season has always been a negative unless a miracle vaccine came out of the lab in time for spring practice to take place and that did not happen. No one can make ma'ma happy but putting her boy in more harms way than normally occurs by playing a sport rife with danger.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

This is not just college football this is college basketball also.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    Why do you say that?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Seriously?

In as simple and short as I can possibly be. We have had every opportunity to basically make this virus and its impact minimal and we chose to ignore, fight among ourselves, blame everyone else and hope that it would go away so we can return to normal as quickly as possible.

I'm not trying to point any fingers at who is responsible, except at us as a nation.

We deserve everything that is happening and will come to us. We have seriously failed and not having sports (where other countries who did things much differently do) is just a casualty of our collective failures.

This is on ALL of us and no one should be surprised by the outcomes.

@finebaum: "I completely understand why everyone is hoping for a miracle, but I don't think it's going to happen. We're losing this battle; it's 73-0, we're losing to COVID-19 ... football ain't happening in the Autumn of 2020."

- Just incredible commentary today from @MariottiSports.

Then we may never play sports again as there's no guarantee that we will ever have an EFFECTIVE vaccine. And even if we do probably 20% or so won't take it. And I reject the notion that "we" are to blame if we don't play. I only heard a part of an interview with Lou Holtz but he basically said we need to grow a pair and play because not playing will be a lot more destructive to society as a whole than playing. You're never going to have perfect conditions and God doesn't want people to live in constant fear

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    Then we may never play sports again as there's no guarantee that we will ever have an EFFECTIVE vaccine. And even if we do probably 20% or so won't take it. And I reject the notion that "we" are to blame if we don't play. I only heard a part of an interview with Lou Holtz but he basically said we need to grow a pair and play because not playing will be a lot more destructive to society as a whole than playing. You're never going to have perfect conditions and God doesn't want people to live in constant fear
    We're not looking for perfect conditions. We are looking for safe conditions, which we could have had if we would have followed basic guidelines.

If Lou Holtz wants everyone to "grow a pair" and get out there, then he should lead by example, or just shut up. Nobody cares what he has to say about public safety.

And yes, we will play sports again. It's not an either or scenario. I completely reject any notion that sports cannot be played again someday (and soon) or it will never be the same. It's not like we would have to start back at point zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    @finebaum: "I completely understand why everyone is hoping for a miracle, but I don't think it's going to happen. We're losing this battle; it's 73-0, we're losing to COVID-19 ... football ain't happening in the Autumn of 2020."

- Just incredible commentary today from @MariottiSports.
    I don't know how anyone can argue with his point.

Seriously?

In as simple and short as I can possibly be. We have had every opportunity to basically make this virus and its impact minimal and we chose to ignore, fight among ourselves, blame everyone else and hope that it would go away so we can return to normal as quickly as possible.

I'm not trying to point any fingers at who is responsible, except at us as a nation.

We deserve everything that is happening and will come to us. We have seriously failed and not having sports (where other countries who did things much differently do) is just a casualty of our collective failures.

This is on ALL of us and no one should be surprised by the outcomes.
    And we get to sit back and watch sports in almost every other country in the world. That is by far the most frustrating part about losing our own sports.
    Heck, even England who botched this thing early has 512 new cases today. We have 60,000. Its astonishing.
    ~Puma~

Only if you believe God is punishing for our sins. B/c absolutely nothing we could have done would have us in a situation where it would be safe for 85 guys to meet another 85 guys in 100 groups every weekend and wrestle in piles for 4 hours.

The biggest conceit I think in all of this is the notion that somehow we were going to get out of this if we had just done X or Y. We can slow it, like blowing up bridges during a retreat, but that's all.

College sports were done as soon as that lab in Wuhan let someone put their sandwich down on a petri dish in a clean room.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

We are looking for safe conditions, which we could have had if we would have followed basic guidelines.
    No, we wouldn't. The Chinese literally welded people in place and are still fighting it, and they have the benefit of just shooting anyone who doesn't comply.

No leader, no policy, no solution was going to prevent the spread of this in some way where we would then reopen and it wouldn't flare up. it's basic math.

We could have slowed it even more with even more of a lockdown for even longer, but since we cannot 100% eradicate it with any known procedure, and certainly none that would work in a free nation, that means as soon as we start doing things like practicing for football we quickly see it spread.

Unless our contact tracing begins to include firing squads, this is the state of things for a while. Probably a long while.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Only if you believe God is punishing for our sins. B/c absolutely nothing we could have done would have us in a situation where it would be safe for 85 guys to meet another 85 guys in 100 groups every weekend and wrestle in piles for 4 hours.

The biggest conceit I think in all of this is the notion that somehow we were going to get out of this if we had just done X or Y. We can slow it, like blowing up bridges during a retreat, but that's all.

College sports were done as soon as that lab in Wuhan let someone put their sandwich down on a petri dish in a clean room.
    We COULD have done X, Y, and Z to be in a position of almost every other country. We are in this mess because we couldn't even follow our own guidelines put out by our administration's task force, among other reasons that I previously mentioned.

I do agree with you that college sports were done for 2020 when this thing started, but we didn't want to believe that either and it was just another piece in the puzzle of a rush to normalcy.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    No, we wouldn't. The Chinese literally welded people in place and are still fighting it, and they have the benefit of just shooting anyone who doesn't comply.

No leader, no policy, no solution was going to prevent the spread of this in some way where we would then reopen and it wouldn't flare up. it's basic math.

We could have slowed it even more with even more of a lockdown for even longer, but since we cannot 100% eradicate it with any known procedure, and certainly none that would work in a free nation, that means as soon as we start doing things like practicing for football we quickly see it spread.

Unless our contact tracing begins to include firing squads, this is the state of things for a while. Probably a long while.
    Then how do you explain other nations that have significantly greater population density that once had the same number of cases that took a completely different approach and are now living close to normal lives, with sports and entertainment and virtually no cases?

The only reason that this is going to be around for a while is because as a union we lack the understanding and knowledge, the courage and the will to make small sacrifices. Not all Americans do. Not a majority of Americans do. However, a large enough of the minority does and you are only as strong as your collective weak.

@JonSolomonAspen: A reminder of why college football will push hard to play this fall.

@ByBerkowitz: In FY14, Power 5 conferences' combined revenue was nearly $1.6 billion (not adjusted for inflation)
    In FY19, it was just over $2.9 billion
    https://bit.ly/2ZZq4jM

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    @JonSolomonAspen: A reminder of why college football will push hard to play this fall.

@ByBerkowitz: In FY14, Power 5 conferences' combined revenue was nearly $1.6 billion (not adjusted for inflation)
    In FY19, it was just over $2.9 billion
    https://bit.ly/2ZZq4jM
    That's precisely why I do not buy into any notion that this will forever change college sports as we know it. There will be impact. There already has, but this virus isn't killing demand.

I honestly don’t know why the powers that be are beating around the bush. I’ve already pretty much decided there will be no college sports the rest of this year IMHO. Damn shame. We were looking good for football and basketball.

Honestly without a vaccine, I don’t expect to see college football until fall of 2021 at best.

One and Done

Then how do you explain other nations that have significantly greater population density that once had the same number of cases that took a completely different approach and are now living close to normal lives, with sports and entertainment and virtually no cases?

The only reason that this is going to be around for a while is because as a union we lack the understanding and knowledge, the courage and the will to make small sacrifices. Not all Americans do. Not a majority of Americans do. However, a large enough of the minority does and you are only as strong as your collective weak.
    I find it so interesting that the focus is on the debate between people who do or don’t want to wear masks (I wear one btw) while completely ignoring the obvious reason for the recent increase in COVID-19 cases. The out of control and massive protests/riots are the reason for what is happening now. If that hadn’t happened we’d be in a much different place now.

It wouldn’t matter if we all diligently followed every possible guideline, the protests/riots happened, and we are now suffering the consequences.

As for the “studies” that claim the protests/riots didn’t have an impact, in most of the areas where the protests/riots occurred the powers that be ordered contact tracers that they were not permitted to ask individuals whether they attended the protests/riots. Therefore, this alleged data is garbage. I just wish people would stop ignoring the massive and obvious elephant in the room.

I still think we'll play football in some fashion. Do you think that these Power 5 conferences are putting in all this time, money, and thinking for the fun of it. Part of the reason we are showing so many confirmed cases is that we test more than anyone else. And our mortality rate is among the lowest in the world.
    The effective death rate is now thought to be around .03% because it is thought that there are 10 times more people than confirmed who have it or have had it. So, we're willing to change our whole way of life because of a virus? I don't want to get it and I try to do my part but we've got to learn to live with it and not wreck the country while living with it

Quote Originally Posted by goodycat View Post
    I find it so interesting that the focus is on the debate between people who do or don’t want to wear masks (I wear one btw) while completely ignoring the obvious reason for the recent increase in COVID-19 cases. The out of control and massive protests/riots are the reason for what is happening now. If that hadn’t happened we’d be in a much different place now.

It wouldn’t matter if we all diligently followed every possible guideline, the protests/riots happened, and we are now suffering the consequences.

As for the “studies” that claim the protests/riots didn’t have an impact, in most of the areas where the protests/riots occurred the powers that be ordered contact tracers that they were not permitted to ask individuals whether they attended the protests/riots. Therefore, this alleged data is garbage. I just wish people would stop ignoring the massive and obvious elephant in the room.
    That is your opinion, but it is factually incorrect.

If it is the protests that cause the surges, then answer a simple question why are the spikes happening only in select states? Why didn't NY, DC and Northern VA, Boston, Jersey and many other regions not see spikes? There were protests in every major city and even minor cities in all 50 states.

Do you not see the commonalities in these states that other states did not have?

Just heard a Doc say if you're 25 or under you have a MUCH better chance of dying from drowning or a car accident than Covid 19

One and Done

If it is the protests that cause the surges, then answer a simple question why are the spikes happening only in select states? Why didn't NY, DC and Northern VA, Boston, Jersey and many other regions not see spikes? There were protests in every major city and even minor cities in all 50 states.

Do you not see the commonalities in these states that other states did not have?
    You don’t think NYC and NJ have seen spikes?

Everyone knows that there is an invisible shield that protects all protesters but go to a Trump rally and you're a sure goner, ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Because he is a liberal.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

They are ignored because it is part odmf the lefts actions to defeat Trump. Thousands marching in the streets, screaming at each other with a large majority maskless has little chance of virus spread while me in Panera, alone at a table, with 15 people in the building is a major mode of transmission. Right!
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

They why did we see them in states that had few protests? FL was not a hotbed for looting mobs, random violence and "peaceful protests" yet we are being labelled the newest epicenter?

Fact is more testing = more cases

Why is it that a virus that so deadly requires a test to know if you have it?

You don’t think NYC and NJ have seen spikes?
    Its hard to spike when you were already leading the pack