Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Hulu Live TV vs YouTube TV vs Cable TV vs DirecTV vs Dish

I know we've discussed these before, but with YouTube changing prices from $50 a month to $65, I thought it might be time to revisit it for me. I'm already paying $95 per month just for internet alone, so I'm rethinking going back to cable (where I get my internet). I want to say they made a really good offer recently to get me back, but I wasn't going to change. I probably still won't, but that $15 hike irritates me.

We have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime and Disney+, so just want to make sure we get the basic channels most watch and sports channels I watch.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 06-30-2020 at 04:51 PM.

What’s the total price of Hulu, Netflix, Disney, Amazon Prime?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Re: Hulu Live TV vs YouTube TV vs Cable TV vs DirecTV vs Dish

I dropped YouTube when they went from $40 to $50. Now, I split it with a friend. Works out great, he watches it a lot, I never do....

Wonder if PlayStation Vue exiting the streaming scene has caused pricing to go up due to lack of competition?

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    What’s the total price of Hulu, Netflix, Disney, Amazon Prime?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I need to find out. I only signed up for YouTube.

People "cut the cord" to reduce costs, and now many pay as much as just having cable. Partly b/c cable did cut prices to compete, and part b/c now we all have 3-5 streaming services.

I've got Hulu with Live and about to drop the live b/c the DVR doesn't let you advance from commercials. I need to look at either Sling (that lets you do that) or back to cable where I can do it with a regular DVR. I only need it for UK games. Couldn't care less about much anything else live.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

I know you can get the SEC Network on Hulu. Can you get it on Sling too?
    We have NetFlix & Amazon Prime for movies, and I watch stuff on YouTube via the internet.
    The only league I care about for football & basketball is the SEC Network.

I have gigabit Internet through AT&T and AT&T TV (like YouTubeTV--get your TV through your Internet connection--it has SEC Network, too). For both I pay about $145/month, all in with taxes/everything. But we got in early with AT&T TV and got an early subscriber deal--we'd probably pay $20/month more if we were subscribing now.

We also get HBO Now and all of the HBO channels for free because of the gigabit Internet. We like it but I probably wouldn't pay extra for it.

We like AT&T TV. It has a cloud DVR which has pretty good capability but not the capability of a box DVR (main issue is you can't rewind and the pause function will only pause for about 30 seconds). But it's portable in the sense you have the app on a Fire stick or Roku device and you can take it with you when you go on a trip, so it's nice to have your setup and all your channels you're used to at home.

I'm probably paying as much for Internet and AT&T TV as I would if I bought Internet and cable through a cable company. But I really got tired of doing the dance of the cable company raising my rate a humongous amount, me calling to cancel and them giving me a "deal" where my rate "only" raised a small amount. I felt like they were playing me. I avoid all that now. My bill has gone up since I first signed up in late 2016, but it's been 2 small increases, IIRC. No dancing.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 07-02-2020 at 07:57 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I need to find out. I only signed up for YouTube.
    If you (or anyone) researches the Disney bundle with Hulu Live, please report back to us.

I have Disney + and Netflix because of my girls. Amazon Prime for the shipping and for work (never watch the programming), and share YouTube with a friend. I prefer YouTube but I'm open to others. I'd just go with antenna if I didn't live in a hole lol

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I know you can get the SEC Network on Hulu. Can you get it on Sling too?
    We have NetFlix & Amazon Prime for movies, and I watch stuff on YouTube via the internet.
    The only league I care about for football & basketball is the SEC Network.
    Yes, the reason I may do Sling is b/c it has SECN. Having UK coverage is the only reason I need live streaming.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I have YouTube TV and get everything I want. The price did go up, so I'll need to reevaluate soon. I love PlayStation Vue and was sad to see it go. I did the trial for HULU and it's a nice setup, but I felt YouTube let you broadcast it on more devices simultaneously as well as provided better storage options.

Fab Five

I know we've discussed these before, but with YouTube changing prices from $50 a month to $65, I thought it might be time to revisit it for me. I'm already paying $95 per month just for internet alone, so I'm rethinking going back to cable (where I get my internet). I want to say they made a really good offer recently to get me back, but I wasn't going to change. I probably still won't, but that $15 hike irritates me.

We have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime and Disney+, so just want to make sure we get the basic channels most watch and sports channels I watch.
    Cable will always be a more expensive choice. That does’t mean it won’t be a better alternative. Prices will converge and weak sister providers will be absorbed. Every time I use the streaming options it requires patience.
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4Blue View Post
    I have YouTube TV and get everything I want. The price did go up, so I'll need to reevaluate soon. I love PlayStation Vue and was sad to see it go. I did the trial for HULU and it's a nice setup, but I felt YouTube let you broadcast it on more devices simultaneously as well as provided better storage options.
    Find a friend and split the cost

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Find a friend and split the cost
    That’s a good option.

I have to start researching this. Our CO house has no cable, nothing.....so we will need internet and Tv via a dish or some other method. I was an original Direct TV subscriber back in the 90s but never had their internet. Most people on the mountain have internet via a dish (not sure which company) and I assume get their TV service bu the same method
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I have to start researching this. Our CO house has no cable, nothing.....so we will need internet and Tv via a dish or some other method. I was an original Direct TV subscriber back in the 90s but never had their internet. Most people on the mountain have internet via a dish (not sure which company) and I assume get their TV service bu the same method
    I’ve had internet through both Hughes and Exede. They provide basic internet service, but aren’t really suitable to provide your TV viewing needs plus internet. You will also need Directv or Dish for TV service.

Rupp's Runt

Doc, don't rule out a mobile hotspot. I know zero about Colorado's cell service and infrastruture. I could see cell service being an issue as well. But around here, hotspots are generally a better option.

edited to add: Also check into your local utilies. The could provide some wireless alternatives that are not cell or satellite.
    Last edited by KentuckyWildcat; 07-03-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Doc, don't rule out a mobile hotspot. I know zero about Colorado's cell service and infrastruture. I could see cell service being an issue as well. But around here, hotspots are generally a better option.
    I agree. We have a mobile hotspot and unlimited data for it and it has been our best internet option. It streams video fairly well, and we have an older 4G hotspot.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I agree. We have a mobile hotspot and unlimited data for it and it has been our best internet option. It streams video fairly well, and we have an older 4G hotspot.
    One of my techs has DSL (not uverse). She just was not able to do the things I needed her to do while working from home. She is paying for 6 meg download, but only getting about 3-4. I sent her our hotspot we use for recruiting when we are out away from wi-fi. Despite not having the best cell service either, she is more than able to do what I need her to do with the hotspot.

edited to add: Also check into your local utilies. The could provide some wireless alternatives that are not cell or satellite.
    The cell phone service is not good. We have att but they are ninfunctional at the lot. Our builder does have service...think he is verison
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Fwiw, Spectrum sent me an offer today for $48.99/month, 180 channels. But it's a 12-month special. Don't know what it goes up to after that, but it is tempting, considering YouTube TV is now $65.

Fab Five

Fwiw, Spectrum sent me an offer today for $48.99/month, 180 channels. But it's a 12-month special. Don't know what it goes up to after that, but it is tempting, considering YouTube TV is now $65.
    Don’t know how you feel about local tv, but that may be a consideration. Are you satisfied using hd antennas? Over the air reception has always been the issue in Birmingham.
    Real Fan since 1958

I think it's OK. I know there's one station that we haven't been able to get at all (44?) in Hoover that has some show my wife likes.

Fab Five

Every so often when the Directv bill comes due I start thinking about stuff like this, do a little investigation, then after having to spend a few hours in a dark room with some bourbon and a cold compress to make my head quit hurting, I just pay the Directv bill and move on. Like most people the truth is that I really need about 15 channels, but my FOMO is too great and my capacity for understanding all this too small for me to figure out how best do that.

We are moving next weekend (bought a new house that is about .1 mile away!) and the guy who owned it had ATT Digisomething internt (he worked for ATT) so we will have that, so maybe I'll rethink the streaming stuff.

I have been considering cutting the cord and have a spreadsheet and a pivot table (yes, I am an accounting nerd, leave me alone!) that I have created with the options. If you want a copy let me know.

Here is my current situation.

Have the premimum contract with Comcast/Xfinity that gives me Gigabit internet (supposedly) with the X1 Cable box and voice. I get all preimum and sports channels. Cost is $252 all in per month with taxes and fees.

My delimma is where I live, Xfinity is ONLY high speed internet provider and to get the internet alone is $130 per month all in. I would then have to add my streaming packages on top of that.

I currently have Netflix through Xfinity so that is free. I pay $6 per month for Disney+ and am an Amazon Prime member. So, my total current bills is about $258 per month plus Prime but I would be prime regardless given our shopping habits.

In Feb. we will supposedly have a Gigabit fiber competitor at $80 per month. If so, that will be my break point to cut the cord.

At $80 for internet, then $65 for YoutubeTV and $6 for Hallmark Channel (Wife, do not give me crap!!!), and then $6 for Disney+ that should get us. Could still add Netflix and be all in at about $175 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Don’t know how you feel about local tv, but that may be a consideration. Are you satisfied using hd antennas? Over the air reception has always been the issue in Birmingham.
    I wish that was an option for me. But I am reading HD Antenna where I live is not great unless I get a high powered expensive antenna and install it on top of the house. Too many mountains here between me and DC or Baltimore.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    I wish that was an option for me. But I am reading HD Antenna where I live is not great unless I get a high powered expensive antenna and install it on top of the house. Too many mountains here between me and DC or Baltimore.
    that is the problem in Bham
    Real Fan since 1958

Anyone have any updates to the info on this thread. Looks like I need a streaming service at one of our offices so wondering what you guys like?

When I last checked YouTubeTV was $64.99, Hulu was $54.99, and Sling Blue was $45 and then had to add on about $30 worth of stuff to get some channels.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Anyone have any updates to the info on this thread. Looks like I need a streaming service at one of our offices so wondering what you guys like?

When I last checked YouTubeTV was $64.99, Hulu was $54.99, and Sling Blue was $45 and then had to add on about $30 worth of stuff to get some channels.
    It depends on which channels you want, how many simultaneous devices you plan to have streaming, need for DVR, TV integration, etc.

The wife and I have YouTubeTV mainly because it has the channels we wanted, allows for more than one simultaneous stream, integrates flawlessly with our 'Chromecast with GoogleTV', has unlimited cloud based DVR, etc. plus we now get $10 off/mo as T-Mobile customers. Overall we have been VERY happy with it and never run into issues. That being said, there is no ideal service that covers everyone.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 04-13-2021 at 03:28 PM.

I think we will likely not be simultaneous streaming...certainly not often. I do think YTTV may be best match for us as well....