Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Workspace question...dual monitors, but one a laptop, the other 27" screen

I am trying to work with a standard laptop screen, and a 2nd monitor, which I have used for a long time now, but in portrait mode.

I'm struggling to get used to it.

I do so many documents that I thought it would be much better to use in this way, but I'm struggling bouncing back and forth between the laptop (which is lower, and maybe 1/3rd the size of it height-wise when my other monitor is in portrait mode).

Any suggestions? Should I get another monitor, and move the laptop to the side as the 3rd monitor, and not use it very much, especially when drafting?

Is there a way to figure this out without that solution (this is my at home setup, with limited desk space).

Rupp's Runt

Re: Workspace question...dual monitors, but one a laptop, the other 27" screen

That is a big size difference and most would not like doing that. I also don't recommend 3 monitors for most of my users. Too much confusion and digital overload for most of them. I do, however, have 3 myself. If you know how to organize and change which screen is which...then maybe. Not going to answer that one for you. Just saying that few of mine have 3 screens for those reasons.

In your current setup, the 27 would be my primary monitor and I would only keep the laptop up for email. Too hard to go back and forth on those extremes.

Rupp's Runt

For the 3rd monitor, you will need a docking station that has two video outs. Unless you happen to have a laptop that has that already (likely not).

There are some USB to video adapters if needed.

Rupp's Runt

OT - get used to using your blue light filter or night mode or whatever it might be calleding depending on your OS. So much easier on the eyes.

I’m guessing you are using the laptop keyboard? To me it would be much more difficult to use dual monitors with a laptop while also using that laptop keyboard.

Workspace question...dual monitors, but one a laptop, the other 27" screen

I use an external keyboard, so I can place the laptop where I want.

Yesterday as a temporary measure, I placed the box my monitor stand came in on top of the small monitor riser and portable laptop stand that the laptop sits on, and it helped.

Right now, I’m working on a project and looking up information on my IPad and typing it on my laptop. It’s not the most ideal setup but it is much easier than trying to do it all with on screen.

I am using a 9 year old ASUS 17 inch laptop connected to a 24 inch monitor and a full sized external keyboard. It can be a bit confusing at times but when adapted to it, it works slick. I am sitting in a standard office chair so I do not have to contend with the additional confusion of standing at a desk.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I am trying to work with a standard laptop screen, and a 2nd monitor, which I have used for a long time now, but in portrait mode.

I'm struggling to get used to it.

I do so many documents that I thought it would be much better to use in this way, but I'm struggling bouncing back and forth between the laptop (which is lower, and maybe 1/3rd the size of it height-wise when my other monitor is in portrait mode).

Any suggestions? Should I get another monitor, and move the laptop to the side as the 3rd monitor, and not use it very much, especially when drafting?

Is there a way to figure this out without that solution (this is my at home setup, with limited desk space).

Darrell,

I use 2 19" monitors and my laptop screen. I am running an HP EliteBook 840GS and running the monitors through a "dock" that enables an HDMI and a Serial Connection.