Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellowstone area vacation recommendations needed

Re: Yellowstone area vacation recommendations needed

Pedro i sent you the spreadsheet i had via email, its pretty choppy to read but the info is in there. I didnt follow to a T but its a good timeline of approx what we did.

Bigsky, here is a little summary of what i would tell people, and if you guys have any specific questions i can certainly answer.

Lamar Valley and Hayden Valley time was very peaceful and the essence of being in a national park. Lamar Valley is awesome, and we did a hike up specimen ridge that day which was great, as well as a hike around trout lake which was quick and i'd highly recommend. Walked back behind Pebble Creek campground around the creek and it was awesome. Didnt get to hike back to the Hellroaring which was really the only thing i didnt get to do that i wanted to do in yellowstone on this trip. Mud pots around Hayden valley were cool, gotta love the smell. The yellowstone river running through Hayden valley...

Geyser Basins i had heard many say were over-rated even though they are the biggest attraction, but it was very cool to see the first time and we loved it, great for families with kids just be safe of course. Again, find some good hikes to take and see some things off the beaten path, waterfalls, hot pots, man we had a GOLDEN day of luck after struggling to time the first few geysers out, we walked by one that goes off once a day and there were 5 people there mostly rangers watching it go off....we were like oh wait what is this. Total Luck. Watched Grand and Castle geysers go off which are must. Did a hike to grand prismatic overlook another day, and a great hike to the base of a waterfall across from the mid geyser basin i believe.

Grand Canyon area is awesome and worth a lot of time, good to combine with Hayden Valley day and a yellowstone lake drive. We saw wolves in Hayden valley, glad i borrowed a spotting scope from a friend. Wish we had hike hayden valley area but didnt. Yellowstone lake was a bit boring, we went in the hotel but most of it was closed, but if it was open would like to eat there and go to the bar, heard its good.

The remainder of the park is just as good for relaxing and enjoying. I recommend doing a hike every day, short ones if you think you dont have time or family will get tired. Youll remember "doing" things vs seeing things and moving too fast. I would definitely pay the extra to stay in the park due to driving times. We stayed about 30-40 min outside of the park, which we really loved, but if you are short on time stay in the park when it opens back up. I believe the best location to stay to access the park from outside would be the west yellowstone gate. Always get to the gate by 7:30 or so to avoid bison jams and visitors. One thing I will say is that if you get up early and get in the park its beautiful and crowds are low and temps are perfect, get up at sunrise drink a coffee and head into the park, but you will be wiped out by 3 pm every day. If we were staying in the park we could have rested up and got back at it, but staying 40 min away made it difficult, and hard to enjoy both of the best times to be at the park which are early and late in the day.

One place i missed mentioning is the Firehole swimming area, which was closed for social distancing, which we ignored since we were alone and jumped off the cliffs (20+ feet). I wont forget that. Also, i wanted to do some of the Tetons and the southwest region (hiking) of the park but ran out of time. Best advice would be to not rush and just enjoy what you can and plan to come back and do what you miss, which is what we will have to do and i cannot wait to get back.

Sorry for the literary nightmare that is this giant run on sentence with misplaced commas, but hopefully this helps. I'm here for questions.
    Go Cats!

I'd love to go to Yellowstone if I knew Kelly Reilly would be there. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...14,317_AL_.jpg
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    I'd love to go to Yellowstone if I knew Kelly Reilly would be there. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...14,317_AL_.jpg
    Actually she’s the only one left I hear
    Go Cats!

Yellowstone area vacation recommendations needed

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    Actually she’s the only one left I hear
    Spoiler alert!!

Hard to believe she would have survived that blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Yellowstone blew and it did not make the news?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Boy do I have a story for you guys...but it’ll have to wait until after next week. In fact I’ll probably be able to link the story from the national news.
    Go Cats!

How do you keep a fool in suspense?

I'll tell you tomorrow.....

People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    How do you keep a fool in suspense?

I'll tell you tomorrow.....

Just google Yellowstone articles around sept 4th and that’s my teaser.
    Go Cats!

I found a few stories from that day. I'm keen to know which one is you. Hoping it's not the guy streaking with elk.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Dale..... trip advice from you. We are headed to Palm Springs over July 4th for a week. We plan to play croquet with the little white balls and clubs (aka golf), but are looking for options while there. Joshua Tree has come up what else? Just me and my wife, no kids

Also headed to Alaska in early August. Anybody been? We are in Anchorage, Homar, then glacier train to Seward. Going to kayak in Homer, do a Kenlai river float and some white water rafting.Seward has a glacier cruise we have booked as well. Anybody got other suggestions?
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Also headed to Alaska in early August. Anybody been? We are in Anchorage, Homar, then glacier train to Seward. Going to kayak in Homer, do a Kenlai river float and some white water rafting.Seward has a glacier cruise we have booked as well. Anybody got other suggestions?
    I wish Doc. This thread covers two trips that are top of my bucket list. Alaska being the top.

I work with a guy that has literally seen the world. Most of it more than once. I can always ask him any questions if ever needed. Just let me know if I need to.

Yellowstone area vacation recommendations needed

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Dale..... trip advice from you. We are headed to Palm Springs over July 4th for a week. We plan to play croquet with the little white balls and clubs (aka golf), but are looking for options while there. Joshua Tree has come up what else? Just me and my wife, no kids

Alaska is very buggy in the summer.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post

Truth, but the alternative is it is damn cold in the winter and river activities are limited to ice fishing and skating.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post

We can live with that. We spent 2 weeks in Africa a few years back... there the "bugs" are size of birds. The horseflies were the size of quarters and when they nailed you, you knew it. We got some special spray from Bass Pro Shops that you spray on your clothes days before hand, and it last 2-3 washings. Problem is it read as "explosive" in TSA. That was not fun!!!!
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I found a few stories from that day. I'm keen to know which one is you. Hoping it's not the guy streaking with elk.
    Well, i think the trial is still being deliberated by the judge but should be a decision soon. Until then ill advance my story to say in my planning i found a podcast, and in the podcast the guy mentions to do some cliff jumping(which we had been doing some during the summer locally due to covid and nothing to do indoors), and in my planning i planned for us to sneak in there and cliff jump with my boy, cliff jumping area is closed due to covid and its also not legal to cliff jump, podcaster asks me for a video and posts it on social media, podcaster gets arrested and i get asked to testify two weeks before the trial (for that and many other things he has said and done), and i spent a few hours testifying to the feds over spring break in my hotel room in florida. Really glad i didnt have to fly out there as originally was told, and also glad i got immunity and no fine/jail time. Moral of the story, dont cliff jump in yellowstone and dont send a podcaster the video if he asks. I think they were watching him close and ready to pounce the minute they saw that video. It was my son doing a front flip from about 20' up. Hey i checked the depth...
    Go Cats!

We used to cliff jump all the time into the Firehole river along Firehole drive. One jump into to the pool and one up river into a rapids.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    We used to cliff jump all the time into the Firehole river along Firehole drive. One jump into to the pool and one up river into a rapids.
    The park actually advertised it at one point. It’s in the podcast lol.
    Go Cats!