Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ancestry / DNA test

Rupp's Runt

Ancestry / DNA test

Which is the most accurate? Any experience with these?

Re: Ancestry / DNA test

KentuckyWildcat, I think Flounder is into genealogy so maybe he'll weigh in here.

I've done both. IMHO it depends on what you're wanting to use the test for. You can get a test through 23 and Me that provides a lot of health info; Ancestry does not.

OTOH, I think it's easier to link with DNA relatives through Ancestry and find genealogy info than with 23 and Me. But Ancestry requires a monthly subscription. Even if you don't subscribe, you can get a free trial and still get a lot of good info before you decide if you want to continue your subscription.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

I mainly just want the background of my heritage. My family claims we have a good amount of Native American. And we likely do, but I do not have proof.

Rupp's Runt

Health...I know the men in my family die at 70 that is enough health info for me

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I mainly just want the background of my heritage. My family claims we have a good amount of Native American. And we likely do, but I do not have proof.
    Kentucky Wildcat, if you haven't checked out "Finding Your Roots" on PBS, it's an interesting show. They take 2-3 celebrities through their family history and often end with a DNA breakdown.

Many of these celebrities talk about how family legends have them descending from an Indian princess, a town in Sicily, etc., and the actual DNA often shows something very different (but sometimes right on the mark, too).

It's a fun watch if you're into genealogy and you can stream it on Amazon Prime video or PBS (maybe YouTube, too--you can find a lot of stuff on YouTube).
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 06-09-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Health...I know the men in my family die at 70 that is enough health info for me
    Yeah, the Evans side of my family doesn't live very long, but a lot of them smoked and had other negative health factors like working in coal mines. On my mother's side my uncles are in their 80s and my maternal grandmother lived to 89 so I'm hoping those genes prevail.

Likely more genetic roots in one of the tribes than Liz Warren, and you have as much proof as she does to make the claim.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I have done FTDNA and 23&Me.

FTDNA is much better at helping me identify family tree members and tracing or confirming my already paper Family Tree (Or in my case, showing a familial bloodline break in 1870).

23&Me much better at health genetics. It identifies family members but not necessarily from a family tree perspective, just DNA matching.

I have a cousin on my Male side that completed the BigY Test and now have traced back to very early Ireland and the Septs of the 7 Loais!

I have only done the Ancestry test and I enjoyed it, though the results were kind of generic (94% England, Wales & Northwest Europe and 5% Ireland & Scotland, plus a random 1% from Senegal of all places. Huh? I guess anything 2% and under is basically irrelevant from what I’ve read .)

Paper trails agree with those areas playing a large role in my ancestry, but also show a couple of German lines and a Native American line, neither of which showed up in my DNA.

I need to get off my butt and try other tests, but havE not yet.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Likely more genetic roots in one of the tribes than Liz Warren, and you have as much proof as she does to make the claim.
    I'm confident my physical traits alone prove that

Rupp's Runt

myheritage has a kit for sale for $49 right now

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I have only done the Ancestry test and I enjoyed it, though the results were kind of generic (94% England, Wales & Northwest Europe and 5% Ireland & Scotland, plus a random 1% from Senegal of all places. Huh? I guess anything 2% and under is basically irrelevant from what I’ve read .)

Paper trails agree with those areas playing a large role in my ancestry, but also show a couple of German lines and a Native American line, neither of which showed up in my DNA.

I need to get off my butt and try other tests, but havE not yet.
    One flaw in the DNA ancestry locations is that people have moved around a lot more than the tests take into consideration, especially in Europe.

Geez I can’t support more kids...
    Go Cats!

Rupp's Runt

Reading around it seems 23andme is currently the most detailed. Debating on that or the cheap sale of MyHeritage.

Rupp's Runt

https://www.ancestry.com/dna/

Another that was not on sale a few days ago. I will probably go this route. I will give 23andme a few days to see what they do.

Reading around it seems 23andme is currently the most detailed. Debating on that or the cheap sale of MyHeritage.
    Again, I love my 23&Me. but if I was using it to trace my line back, I do not think it is a good fit.

I am not super familiar with Ancestry DND but do keep my tree on Ancestry.com (need to spring for the European records but dang, already spending enough).

If your goal is family tree, I suggest an Ancestry.com membership. Start with what you know. your name and birthdate, then your parents names, birthdates, and if you have them, marriage dates and death dates. From there, Ancestry is really good about finding "hints" usually in the form of official birth records, census, marriage certificates, death certificates or, if you hit the mother lode, another family tree that by someone who knows what they are doing that is well documented and gives you several generations of family members back 4-8 generations.

From there, do the AncestryDNA or FTDNA test. I found my Stewart line was very well paper documented back to 1652 in US and also had several that had cross tested the DNA on FTDNA. So for me, at that point, thought it was just a matter of confirming my DNA matched that already proven trail. Big hiccup when it didn't but I got a lucky break when the DNA did match another family from 3 generations ago. Whether that was an adoption by necessity or a simple cheating issue, I do not know, but have my suspicions.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I now have traced my new bloodline back to 1600's as well and my mothers line back to the 1500's. My wifes family tree goes to the Dauphine's of France!

If all you want to know is your DNA makeup, 23&Me is great and fine as it fives you MTDNA (mothers side) as well as DNA on fathers side and allows you to know their majority DNA origins by major continent and region. But, if you want to trace a family line I suggest one of the others.

Rupp's Runt

Ancestry / DNA test

Thanks Virginia

So 23andme just added 1500 populations which surpasses AncestryDNA. However most of those areas are African and Eastern Asia. It is doubtful that will help me any. So the deal for Ancestry is currently my latest thought. I may change my mind again before I go to bed tonight lol

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Thanks Virginia

So 23andme just added 1500 populations which surpasses AncestryDNA. However most of those areas are African and Eastern Asia. It is doubtful that will help me any. So the deal for Ancestry is currently my latest thought. I may change my mind again before I go to bed tonight lol

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk
    Again, what you are talking about is not confirming your actual familial line? If that is correct and you are not looking to identify other actual family members then 23&Me is fine. I have thousands of "cousins" identified on 23&Me. But they really are not my cousins or of my family names. They just share a percentage DNA that makes me a cousin. But I know very well I am mainly Northern Euro descent and mostly Irish/Scottish/English/Welsh.

On FTDNA my matches are identified by the the markers. I have tested through 67 markers. If 60 of 67 markers match, I am notified of a relative within so many years/generation. I discovered my new family bloodline via this method and now know my bloodline is Kitchen, not Stewart.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Again, what you are talking about is not confirming your actual familial line? If that is correct and you are not looking to identify other actual family members then 23&Me is fine.
    I'm not really looking for my ancestors right now. Honestly, I know very few and older ones in my family are not much help either. So maybe eventually, but right now, I'm just curious as to where I am from. If you ask anyone, they just say we have a lot of Native American. Maybe we do, but no one has proof. So I am mainly wanting my origins. Such as 25% native american, 10% German, 15% whatever. However those are displayed and broken down. It seems like all of the test do that pretty well, correct?

I just meant waiting on 23andme as far seeing what they do in terms of sale price.

Maybe I am also just completely missing something. Certainly possible

Rupp's Runt

FTDNA is on sale as well. Paternal is $109 and the family one is $59.

I've just ordered the AncestryDNA. I may take the paternal FTDNA test later.

My brother wanted one as well, so we are both taking the AncestryDNA. I guess he wants to see if we are actually brothers. lol But it will be neat to compare the results. I'm guessing we could have some very slight differences?

I'm guessing we could have some very slight differences?
    Based on my non geneticist point of view, I believe there has to be a lot of room for different results in the analysis of the huge amount of data that is presented from each sample.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

I will try to remember to post the side by side results.

The Keith side of my family was traced back to Ireland. there were two different groups..one royalty and the other vagrants and undesirables who were relocated (banished) to Scotland and eventually settled in this relative area (Scott/Irish)

Let's just say, I am not Irish royalty.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

FTDNA is on sale as well. Paternal is $109 and the family one is $59.

I've just ordered the AncestryDNA. I may take the paternal FTDNA test later.

My brother wanted one as well, so we are both taking the AncestryDNA. I guess he wants to see if we are actually brothers. lol But it will be neat to compare the results. I'm guessing we could have some very slight differences?
    Assuming you are from the same parents, your DNA from this perspective should be an almost identical match (from a family line/ancestral POV).

Would have been interesting to get an uncle or cousin to test.

I sent a blood sample to one of them last year. Came back 70% Vodka, 30% Gin. I'm guessing that means Russian and English.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

60.2% British Isle, Irish
    19.5% French & German
    1.4% Scandanavian
    17.2% Northwestern Eruopean

Lets just say I am very deficient in pigment which by the way, is a DNA mutation as are my blue eyes.

Oh, and 290 Neanderthal Segments.....

That is what 23&Me told me.

I am twice as sub saharan african as Fauxcahauntus is american indian; .9% or .009. Unlike her, none of my family stories mention that...although the legend of one of Marie Antoinette’s ladies running a finishing school in Lexington was confirmed. Hah! “Finishing school” I thought but all the research was done by others. Some of my librul friends are so envious (and that is no BS), of my “minority status”. It isn’t of course like a family tree but can confirm or deny some of that. US Grant unconfirmed, but revolutionary war general solid enough for a nonexistent female progeny to claim DoR.

I did health and dna, and they are pesterous about me contributing to studies but non alzheimer dementia late late in life is in my genes. Consistent with the family tree.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    I did health and dna, and they are pesterous about me contributing to studies but non alzheimer dementia late late in life is in my genes. Consistent with the family tree.
    I do a lot of the health surveys. Interesting info and some of the results. I luckily missed the alzheimer gene.

My Native American is .006 and .002 Nigerian!

In case anyone interested:

Dear Project Members,

Big Y700 is available at a discount for the Father’s Day sale. Please consider Big Y 700 for husbands, fathers, grandfathers. It will discover a paternal lineage’s permanent bread trail of mutations (SNPs) from your family tree all the way back to the genetic Adam.

This allows FTDNA to place those families on the Giant Tree of Mankind reliably and with high resolution.

Big Y 700 has allowed FTDNA to build the Y tree with over 31,000 branches and growing. About 18,000 branches have less than 13 qualified SNP mutations from their most recent ancestor to the last 50-70 years. This means these branches can be useful for marking lineages within family trees.
    The Y DNA products and upgrades are on sale now through Father’s Day.

https://mailchi.mp/familytreedna/fat...0-announcement

Get your paternal lineages on the tree and look for relatives in the matching system. You can find help in the free FTDNA projects for surnames, haplogroups and geographies. Y STR upgrades sales prices are also available. Since Big Y 700 includes Y111 STR markers, upgrading to Y111 gives you an upgrade "credit" making Big Y 700 less expensive for you in the future if you choose that route. Big Y 700 is significantly more advanced than the old Big Y 500 and there is a special upgrade price for prior Big Y 500 customers as well.

All R1b people,including all descendant branches, such as R-M269, are invited to join the free R1b project and join the Activity Feed discussions.

Regards,

“Tiger” M. Walsh

Volunteer R1b All Subclades Project Administrator
    https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1b/about
    Disclaimer: Family Tree DNA is not responsible for the safety and security of files downloaded from third-party sites. If at any time you want to stop receiving emails from your DNA Project Administrator, please go to the "Setup Preferences" section of your personal page and change the corresponding setting.
    Please do not reply to this email.
    This email was sent by FamilyTreeDNA on behalf of a Group Project Administrator. You have received this email because you have joined a FamilyTreeDNA Group Project and subscribed to receive notifications from Group Project Administrators who manage the project(s). To learn more about Group Projects please review our TOS.
    Our mailing address is: 1445 N Loop W #820, Houston, TX 77008
    If you no longer wish to receive this type of email in the future, please visit your Notification Preferences in your Account Settings to update your preferences.