Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Reaction If Liberals/Black Groups Start Demanding Rupp Arena Name Taken Down?

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Reaction If Liberals/Black Groups Start Demanding Rupp Arena Name Taken Down?

I am shocked it has not come up before this

Darryl
    Last edited by Darryl; 07-23-2020 at 07:15 PM.

Re: Reaction If Liberals/Black Groups Start Demanding Rupp Arena Name Taken Down?

That would be terribly disappointing and way off base.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Re: Reaction If Liberals/Black Groups Start Demanding Rupp Arena Name Taken Down?

That is a Big Blue Line not to cross. To Hell with that.

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    That is a Big Blue Line not to cross. To Hell with that.
    I really fear it.

Darryl

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

I suppose it is possible. Anything is but that would be too much. I’d be as upset as when the Nike issue over the spirit of 76 flag got criticism.

It's only a matter of time I'm afraid.

Unforgettable

This would be a real test for Cal and UK. I like what Cal is doing--promoting minority internships for jobs for example.

Economically a replacement for Rupp is not a high priority item for Lexington. The financial stress on the Yum is considerable.

Without a major renovation or all new arena, I don't think there will be a push.

That said, the best thing to do is not give the possibility any air. Any debate or discussion about this now may add fuel to the fire.

There is enough substantive issues to discuss without attacking UK history. Rupp is not comparable to the confederates. Neither is Jefferson whose most successful financial venture was breeding and selling his slaves, but as long as he has monument on the Tidal basin and a ACC university, I'd put Rupp long down the list to attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4Blue View Post
    It's only a matter of time I'm afraid.
    Oh, it's going to happen.

As for Cal, he'll be on board with it I imagine. He won't want to stand under that tidal wave.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Oh, it's going to happen.

As for Cal, he'll be on board with it I imagine. He won't want to stand under that tidal wave.

To my surprise, Calipari may belong to the invertebrate group of animals..... You know, those without a back bone

Darryl

Unforgettable

This is all speculation in the most negative sense of hypothetical scenarios. Cal has embraced from the Program and honored the best (save for 2010 draft being the biggest day in the history of the program) of UK Basketball during his tenure.

This is all speculation in the most negative sense of hypothetical scenarios. Cal has embraced from the Program and honored the best (save for 2010 draft being the biggest day in the history of the program) of UK Basketball during his tenure.
    It is a different day, my friend. A tsunami is sweeping the country based on lies and distorted facts.

There are certainly problems concerning white racism; but in my opinion black racism is every bit as prevalent....and growing. And no one in politics or authority has the courage to address that

Darryl

Unforgettable

I hear you. The Castleman statue was taken down in Louisville. Perhaps no one better serves as a legitimate debate as John Breckinridge Castleman does.

A former Confederate officer who before he died turned away from the Lost Cause. Castleman played a huge role in the parks in Louisville and wanting blacks to have access to them. He served in the Louisville Legion and wore the colors of the US in the Spanish American War.

Washington, Jefferson, early versions of the American flag also come under criticism. It is a worry.

I'll be very disappointed if anyone in authority can review the entire record on Rupp's legacy and still believe his name should come down.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    I'll be very disappointed if anyone in authority can review the entire record on Rupp's legacy and still believe his name should come down.
    Castleman in Louisville doesn't have many advocates but his legacy seems to show an imperfect man who made good before he passed.

When (not if) the PC left clamors to have the Rupp name removed from the arena that bears his name UK will roll over and comply.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    It is a different day, my friend. A tsunami is sweeping the country based on lies and distorted facts.

There are certainly problems concerning white racism; but in my opinion black racism is every bit as prevalent....and growing. And no one in politics or authority has the courage to address that

Darryl
    Those in government, the liberal media, and the protestors on the streets that are advocating defunding the municipal police forces are not thinking about who is going to protect them from the militiamen that are staging in rural camps all over the country. If they do not settle down and think this thru, it could get really ugly for as long as it takes for them to start waving the white flag. I hope the national guard stays out of the fracas for the good of the country and for their own benefit.
    seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

In other news, I saw on the WHAS app on my phone that the Army is considering changing the names of posts that have the names of Confederate soldiers.
    I cannot begin to tell you how infuriated I am over this bull$hit.
    THIS IS OUR HISTORY. Good or bad, it is part of who we are as a nation.
    It's time to start burning up phone lines and writing nasty-grams to stop this crap.
    This $hit needs to stop! 😠

I posted this on June 7th; I am surprised it took this long

Darryl

https://www.lex18.com/news/covering-...-of-rupp-arena

For those who want to read on it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Kudos to Mitch. Does he have the clout to make his words stick?

Back in January of 2020, UK Athletic Director, Mitch Barnhart was asked about a possible name change and said this about the name Rupp Arena.

"This is Rupp Arena. It's set apart from all other places ," Barnhart said. "There are other places that you hear the name of a place, this one's been this way for almost 50 years and it can't change.
    seeya
    dan

Unforgettable

That was in reference to corporate buying rights

Great words

Different context

I hear you. The Castleman statue was taken down in Louisville. Perhaps no one better serves as a legitimate debate as John Breckinridge Castleman does.

A former Confederate officer who before he died turned away from the Lost Cause. Castleman played a huge role in the parks in Louisville and wanting blacks to have access to them. He served in the Louisville Legion and wore the colors of the US in the Spanish American War.

Washington, Jefferson, early versions of the American flag also come under criticism. It is a worry.
    Thanks. Iconic statue defaced. Mick knows I have a personal connection. He was a General in the US Army long after being pardoned for being a CSA Major. Active civic leader. Notable in my family for his horse ride down Baxter Ave into town. Louisville took him down.

I do not support it.
    And I draw the line at ignorance of facts and unnecessary demands. They do more to damage relations than repair them.
    Yet, discussion about such an issue is fine.

I also would not ever agree to remove the names signed to the constitution of the United States. Although education about the mistakes the founding fathers made are also fine by me.

But we (All Americans) can stand firm without anger or malice when right is on our side, and in the face of racial misunderstanding. Such misunderstandings are more often the crux of the problem than outright racism.

We must all agree to listen..and also to be heard. Again..without malice.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Thanks. Iconic statue defaced. Mick knows I have a personal connection. He was a General in the US Army long after being pardoned for being a CSA Major. Active civic leader. Notable in my family for his horse ride down Baxter Ave into town. Louisville took him down.
    And that is shortsighted. There is thought or care to consider individuals. No one is perfect so the loudmouths who care more about statues than substantive change are a concern