Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

At Least 5 Alabama Players Have Tested Positive for COVID-19

https://247sports.com/college/alabam...-19-147852207/

Let's see how they react and what the impact will be. Should be a good study for how football programs can manage throughout the summer and season.

Fab Five

Re: At Least 5 Alabama Players Have Tested Positive for COVID-19

It’s good news! Before they got to campus they were walking around with no symptoms or with symptoms and didn’t know. Now they will be quarantined and treated, stopping any further spread. It will be interesting to see how much contact tracing they can do, but they should be able to identify some who have been exposed? What would have happened had they continued to go undetected?
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    It’s good news! Before they got to campus they were walking around with no symptoms or with symptoms and didn’t know. Now they will be quarantined and treated, stopping any further spread. It will be interesting to see how much contact tracing they can do, but they should be able to identify some who have been exposed? What would have happened had they continued to go undetected?
    I think its good news also Mick. This virus is so much more widespread than our leaders believe.

It won't be unique to Alabama and schools will benefit from it not being unique so they can test their plans in real time with real cases.

I'm not sure that I would say that people testing positive is good news, but there is definitely value to them having the virus.

I'm confident that the universities can do a relatively good job containing, tracing, etc. with the players without much incident, but I do worry about the coaches and other staff that aren't quarantined and them or people they come in contact with that may be higher risk. This is before there are even any fan considerations at games.

It's definitely time to move forward. My wife and I made that decision when we spent the weekend camping with our friends where one travels all around the US and the other is a front-line worker, a nurse that works on a COVID floor in New Jersey. We are quarantining for 14 days though.

I still stand by my thought is I hope that there are rollback plans in case we see major spreads.

The more testing that is done the more people they're finding that have it but have no symptoms, also good news

To be expected-- UK will surely have it, too. One thing to learn, though, is that Alabama perhaps moved too quickly -- they tested on Tuesday, apparently, PRACTICED on Wednesday, and then got the results today. Probably better to hold off on the practicing -- and keep everyone away from each other, as much as possible-- from the time of administering the test until the results are received.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
    To be expected-- UK will surely have it, too. One thing to learn, though, is that Alabama perhaps moved too quickly -- they tested on Tuesday, apparently, PRACTICED on Wednesday, and then got the results today. Probably better to hold off on the practicing -- and keep everyone away from each other, as much as possible-- from the time of administering the test until the results are received.
    Practiced ?? Workouts begin Monday. No Practice. Apparently, some players held workouts without coaches on Tuesday or Wed.
    Real Fan since 1958

Comeback Cat

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
    I think its good news also Mick. This virus is so much more widespread than our leaders believe.
    I believe the large majority tested or not will never know they had it.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Practiced ?? Workouts begin Monday. No Practice. Apparently, some players held workouts without coaches on Tuesday or Wed.
    Sorry, got the info from another board.

The broader point stands, though -- the players shouldn't be mixing with a lot of people until they get the results of their tests. They should assume there are 5-10 positive cases in the returning crowd, and act accordingly.

Did you guys see the study out of Indiana. Using antibody testing they found 188K positive and of that 45% had zero symptoms.

this is much more broadly spread than they thought and less lethal.

At Least 5 Alabama Players Have Tested Positive for COVID-19

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Did you guys see the study out of Indiana. Using antibody testing they found 188K positive and of that 45% had zero symptoms.

this is much more broadly spread than they thought and less lethal.
    Let's be careful on that interpretation. It's one of those infamous stats that isn't the conclusion you think it is.

-No Signature Harmed During the Posting of this Comment-

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
    Sorry, got the info from another board.

The broader point stands, though -- the players shouldn't be mixing with a lot of people until they get the results of their tests. They should assume there are 5-10 positive cases in the returning crowd, and act accordingly.
    Only one person who tested positive had been to a workout. Players are working in small pods, separated by distance and time from other pods. Also my understanding is all who tested positive were not players, but worked somewhere in football operations. Everyone in the athletics facilities must be tested.
    Real Fan since 1958